“The best place we ate in Venice”
Review of La Tavernetta

La Tavernetta
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The meeting point between the island's people and the tourists, the contact point beetwen venetian and tuscan cuisine, the arrival point where you can find warmth and good wishes. This is the atmosphere of La Tavernetta, a small restaurant near the famous Hotel Excelsior and the Lido's Casinò Palace. An historical restaurant, frame of the first edition of Venice International Film Festival and of the later ones. Since 1996 Riccardo, tuscan chef member of F.I.C. (Federazione Italiana Cuochi) for several years, and Adriana, born in Venice who had worked like chef in many hotels and restaurants, have been the owners. Riccardo and Adriana have been able to coniugate passion and quality, teaching them to their son Ottavio, manager since 2009. With the arrival of Ottavio, a skillful and expert sommelier (best sommelier of italy), La Tavernetta becomes more renowned, combining the reputation of its superb
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I would recommend this place as the best place to eat in Venice. The food is delicious and the service and atmosphere is excellent too. My partner had some tempura meat from the farm which he was delighted with and it was plentiful and tasty. The wine was also good.

It was clearly popular with the locals as we went along on a Sunday evening and got told they could not fit us in for an hour. As with everwhere else in Venice it was slightly expensive but the best value we found and a fairly good price.

2  Thank Lydmae

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Excellent food, well cooked and presented. Be prepared to wait the time it takes. Possible sitings of minor celebs thrown in!

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I highly recommend La Tavernetta, a nice Tuscan and seafood restaurant along the beach that my boyfriend and I visited in May. They had a beautiful patio, great wine and the servers were very friendly. We shared a large whole fish, a seabass, that was so flavourful and fresh. The vegetables were tasty and I didn't find the flavour of the fish overpowering. For starters, my boyfriend had some of the best mussels of his life! I'm allergic to seafood, but I was tempted to try some of the mussels with massive fruit... they looked like they were plucked out of the Adriatic sea this morning. They were in season, but the servers were very helpful in selecting the perfect seasonal seafood. Definitely the restaurant to visit if you are staying in Lido. It was busy even in May with the sailing competition, I can only imagine the crowds now with the Film Fest. If you go there, make sure to ask the server about what's in season and if they have any specials!

1  Thank nataliastyle
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Seven of us took a water taxi to the Excelsior and walked a block to La Tavernetta. The service was excellent and the Gnocchi in Tuscan beef sauce alone was worth the trip. It was by far our best meal in Venice. We enjoyed walking along the beach and getting away from the overwhelming crowds near the main attractions.

2  Thank Frank E
Reviewed September 10, 2012

After spending the day at the beach at Lido de Venecia and strolling past the scene of the Venice film festival, we ended up at La Tavernetta. The place was packed with posh (and wannabe posh) people from the film festival, but the meal was a pleasant experience anyway. We were seated outside and the environment out there was nothing special. We started with an Aperol Sprits, which was the best on our whole weekend in Venice. We had the tomato and buffalo mozzarella salad as a starter and the mozzarella was the best I have ever had. The server sent for the sommelier when we asked about wines but that guy just read straight from the wine list and said that everything was good. He didn’t even ask what food we had ordered. But the one he finally recommended was good and we got a wine cooler without asking, which was the only time that happened during our stay. The pasta was also good and this place deserves its place on the list of top restaurants in Venice. I wouldn’t go out of my way getting here if I weren’t close by though.

1  Thank HairyLion