“what a place!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harrison
Red Horse Mountain Ranch
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 30, 2012

A beautiful place, excellent service, cozy and private accommodation.

It amazed us how in such a remote setting within the Coeur D'Alene national forest mountains, you could experience such culinary exuberance with not just one chef but several including a pastry chef who provided personal attention especially to those with dietary needs. The wine selection was exquisite, ensuring a vast variety of local vintages to satisfy a varied clientel.

The varied offered activities besides the daily basic to advanced horseback riding were fun and at times challenging and all the more enjoyable in the beautiful setting.

The evening bonfire get-togethers with the local cowboy poet/singer was an unforgettable experience, especially since the multi-talented staff joined in with their musical contribution.

It was hard to leave the warm and cozy comfort of the plush bed but we made it to Amanda's morning yoga/stretch sessions to get us ready for the full day's activities.

Room Tip: It depends on what you want: some cabins are more private than others. Ours was a room in a multi-r...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 21, 2012

This trip was planned to celebrate my 50th birthday. We had very high expectations. We'd read all the reviews here. Our expectations were exceeded hugely. What. A. Place. No matter what we who have been lucky enough to go to RHMR write, we'll never be able to capture how wonderful it is. But I'll try! Shuttle picked us up from Spokane and we had a lovely 2 hour ride to the ranch through beautiful scenery. The setting is glorious. The lodge sits overlooking the valley where the stables and corrals are. The cabins are scattered, none too far from the lodge or far from a hot tub. We had the Old Post Cabin - it was gorgeous. The bed was huge and so comfortable. It was spotlessly clean, and everything you needed was there.
The Lodge House is the centre of the ranch - gathering on the deck looking down at the horses whilst sipping a glass of wine and chatting to the other guests and staff was just wonderful. The activity sheets are here too, as you are overwhelmed with the choice of activities on offer. On the first morning we all gathered for our orientation ride and to meet our horses. All the horses are in the best of health, and chosen to suit you. I had a sorrel mare called Oakley - she was gorgeous. All the rides start in the valley and then climb up through the woods and pastures, with new views opening up. Stunning. The memories will keep me going for a long, long time. Gina singing, the horses carrying us safely up, the laughter, the beauty of northern Idaho. Magical. The best day was the all day ride up to Huckleberry Ridge when we felt we could see forever and beyond. And the picnic was incredible!
I mostly rode all day, but had a go at the 3d archery which was great fun. My OH did clay pigeon shooting twice and was a crack shot, and he also got to do the long range rifle shooting with a magnum rifle with a range of over 1000 yards. We don't ever see guns like that here.
The food was incredibly good. Breakfast served buffet style with fresh fruit juices, yoghurts and fruit and fresh made bread, muffins and pastries by the lovely Lauren. Then you ordered the cooked breakfast. I don't know what Dave did to the bacon, but its the best you'll ever taste! Lunch was buffet style again, always lots of fresh salad, and tons of freshly made, delicious choices. At 5pm everyone gathered on the deck for appetisers and wine tasting (or beer or spirits or just soda if you preferred). Everyone would be chatting away, recounting their exploits and how sore their bums were from a day in the saddle! Dinner was buffet style - again the most wonderful food, beautifully cooked with love and care.
After dinner there was always some entertainment if you wished. We took a glass of wine and enjoyed the hottub under the stars - bliss. Not to be missed are the Tom Lamb campfires. These were just magical. Sitting round the campfire, with wine or coffee or hot chocolate, whichever you wanted, whilst Tom sang old songs and recited poems recounting life in the West. Quite a few of the staff would come by too, and Andrea and Gina played guitar and sang too. Under the clear starlit sky - the milky way seemingly just out of reach. Then we saw the Northern Lights - a green curtain glow lighting up the sky. Off the scale. Oh, and S'Mores - how good are they!?!
The last night is a formal 5 course dinner, with a wine chosen to perfectly match each course. The perfect end to the perfect week.
Did we like RHMR? No, we loved it! it was a privilege to be there, and share it with the lovely folk we met. The staff are exceptional - Cory knows how to find the best people. Will we go back....I certainly hope so! Should you go? Yes - what are you waiting for?

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rmlj
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I found this ranch info in my Western Horseman magazine. Checked out the web site and tripadvisor and found info on the Ladies Week. Went with 3 of my oldest friends and it was better than anticipated. As a matter of fact we could not find anything wrong. Every person that worked there was friendly and helpful and went out of there way to make sure you were well cared for. So many things to do, even a pottery barn! I truly felt like I was in summer camp again. Never a moment you could not have an activity or just sit back and relax. A wonderful week. Ah yes, the food was great and plenty of it. The grounds were extremely maintained and the horses were some of the best dude horses I have ever seen on a dude ranch. All extremely well cared for and looked in great condition and that is very important to me. It was a wonderful week and all of the gals that were there were great fun. Amazing that 25 women were so well paired. If you need a ladies week, make this the place to go.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 8, 2012

You just can't find a better option than this - I've been to many ranches but none with the amazing staff, great food and lodging, cleanliness of everything and incredible breadth of activities. Everyone that works there goes out of his or her way to say "yes" to you - it makes such a difference. We went during an adult week with wine tasting and it was so much fun - just not enough time to do everything we wanted. Perfect place to do a group trip with family, friends or anyone at all. Will definitely go back. And if you are a single traveler, this is a great place to meet up and hang out with a lot of warm and friendly guests and staff.

Room Tip: If you travel alone, you might want to ask about a room in the lodge - easy to get to everything!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We found this place on Tripadvisor a couple years ago and hoped that it would live up to the comments. It did. My daughter and I went during women's week and were there with 23 other women who came as sisters and long time friends and there was one other couple that was a mother/daughter. The food was tremendous, the activities were plentiful. We did everything that we could fit into a day but also left time to relax. It was very cool in the mornings but warmed to high 50s in the afternoon. The skies were perfectly blue and the sites were incredible. All the wranglers were very patient with those who knew how to ride and those who were learning. We were the only two that opted to do the zip line that started in the mountain and ended int the freezing water pond, but the activity still went on. The ranch owner/manager made sure that even though there were only two of us, it happened. It was a blast.
I particularly loved the morning mountain hikes prior to rides in the morning. So peaceful and a good way to get warmed up before sitting in the saddle.
Each day the food just got better and better. You will want for nothing.
I mentioned on my pre-trip form that I "required" Diet Coke in my regimen. Even though it is not part of their normal bar offerings, it was waiting on my cabin porch when we arrived.
I will return if I can make it happen again. Thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We had a great time. Lots to do for everyone in the family. The scenery was fabulous, and the wranglers - very friendly. We really enjoyed meeting the other families that spent the same week at the ranch. Our family thought this was the best vacation we have ever had! We highly recommend this for a family vacation!

Room Tip: Try a cabin for a more private experience
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This was my first time at a dude ranch and it was by far one of the most exhilarating and fun vacations I have ever taken. I came here to primarily disconnect from work and ride horses and the lack of reception from the real world was actually refreshing and helped in the relaxing and unwinding. There is a range of activities from horseback riding, kayaking, long range shooting, clay pigeon shooting, zip-linining, ceramics painting, hot tub-ing during the day to campfires and karaokee-ing at night. The meals served (especially dinner) were A-MAZING and fresh and their bread is to die for. I wanted to white water raft but unfortunately the water was too low to do that, but there were too many activities to squeeze in anyway!

The ranch has 85 head of horses the horse assigned to me for the week was so sweet. Every Friday 4:30pm , the horses are herded out to graze atop the mountain pasture and are herded back to the ranch Monday 7:30am so make sure to get the videocam to record them running in tandem during these times! It is simply beautiful to see these lovely creatures in their element. There was a young filly named Kahlua there who was so sweet cuddly and soft and I always made sure to have apples and other treats for her when I went down to see the horses (HINT: there are apple and pear trees in front of the lodge).

The staff was great and very helpful. Should out to Sarah (who has an awesome way with horses and teaching new riders), Nick, Kayla, Bette, Brenda, Anna, Steve, Andy, Claire, Rob for their help and service!

There also is an adorable petting zoo with a cute fluffy sheep named Noodle who will love and follow you forever if you give him treats and also two potbelly pigs who keep him company...I always made sure to save some carrots for him, the pigs, and the horses leftover from lunch and dinner :)

I met and networked with some amazing people while I was there who were so much fun to hang around with. We definitely had some great experiences and made some memories that will last a lifetime!

5/5 STARS - a high recommend if you are looking for an outdoors vacation. Getting there (roughly 2 hours from airport up a rocky mountain) was a little rough, but trust me, it will be worth it once you are settled in.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Alex S

Been to Red Horse Mountain Ranch? Share your experiences!