“Best. Family. Vacation. Ever.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harrison
Red Horse Mountain Ranch
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Just returned from our fourth trip to Red Horse Mountain Ranch. It just gets better every time. The staff works to make each trip unique and special. This year we branched out a bit and tried new activities in addition to horseback riding including mountain biking (so fun!) and the Mega-Zip line. My son loved the 3-D archery and my daughter had a blast at Pond Games. The last day at RHMR is always rough--we are so sad to go, but we look forward to next year!

Room Tip: We stayed in Star Garnet. Close to the lodge and to the campfire yet very quiet. It has two rooms--p...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank thigrig

Reviewed July 5, 2012

A must for every family! Upon arrival you will be given a tour of the ranch and instructed how to sign up for the weeks activities. You can do as much or as little as you wish. The staff is amazing! The week absolutely flew by and this will be a trip we will never forget! Fantastic job to the entire staff!

Room Tip: We stayed in the lodge and it was very convenient.
1  Thank krendl
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We just returned from our third trip to Red Horse Mountain and each year it gets better. It's so peaceful and beautiful. The staff treats you like royalty. The accomodations are wonderful, food is delicious, the views are breathtaking. It's nice to get away from telephones and televisions. RHM does have Internet, which is very convenient so we could post all of the fun things we do at RHM on Facebook. What more could you ask for? We look forward to our return trip next year. Truly, a great place to take a vacation!

Reviewed June 24, 2012

We just stayed at the Red Horse Mtn. Ranch. We are a family of 5, ages 46, 44, 13f, 11f, 10m. We went with a group of friends. There was universal agreement that this was probably the finest overall vacation (among many) we have taken. I was actually not looking all that forward to it, not generally viewing myself as a ranch sort of person. The price seemed somewhat high-end.

However, this overall experience was at an A+ level. Furthermore, we all agreed that this vacation was very much worth the money. Given the personal nature of the services and the deluxe nature of the food, accommodations, the extensive property, the herd of 80+ horses, this is not a cheap operation to run. We will very likely go back in one or two years, and suggest it to others.

This is a small-group type of vacation, with perhaps 48 total guests each week. Each family stayed in a ranch cottage - ours was a two-level, four-bedroom log cabin with two bathrooms, two small refrig (never needed-great food everywhere), fans, two window A/C (never used). Unit was kept immaculate by daily housekeeping, fresh linens. Wife had a nice massage. Early morning light sometimes woke me early. Very peaceful environment. Nice nighttime activities, karaoke, campfires.

The staff was uniquely personal, starting with one of the owners, who was on site every day and actively involved in multiple activities. Most of the staff knew our names when we arrived or soon thereafter. Service, be it dining, hiking, biking, housekeeping, and particularly during horseback riding, was extremely attentive. The wranglers were very experienced, energetic, and we and our children bonded with them very well, as did (apparently) everyone else.

Regarding the horseback riding, the experience was great. I do not consider myself a horse lover, to be sure, but riding during this vacation was great. My horse for the week, Amigo, was very well trained. All of the horses seemed well-trained, in fact, and the level of the experience is far beyond that of simple 1-2 hour, one-day experiences. The horses are more responsive, the experience much more individual. The trails in the Idaho mountains are a nice setting for the rides. There is a more advanced riding group, if desired, as well. I also took one lesson with two other guests in a ring, and that was fun. Amigo easily transitioned to a trot and canter, and turning any of these horses is easy.

As other guests/reviewers have hinted, there are a host of other activities, which may help to distinguish this ranch from many others. For example, Matt heads a fine mountain biking program with offerings at several levels. During my week there, I or my family members tried skeet shooting, archery, kayaking, distance shooting, biking (I did this several times), hiking. We all also did a challenge course, which included a zip line, climbing wall, and other things.

There is much more which might be said about this vacation, but it is simply a fine overall experience, and it would be hard for me to think of ways to tangibly improve upon it. By its nature, it is an active, outdoor type of experience. Food is excellent, accommodations superb, but it is remote and a ranch. As described on the website, Internet/phone access is limited. But, while there, you probably won't miss them..

8  Thank gemfos
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Red Horse Mountain Ranch, nestled in the most beautiful section of Idaho, with it's well maintained western style cabins and grounds, is not just a destination for a western dude ranch vacation. It's an experience. After a week, we felt like this was our second vacation home and the staff was our family and friends. You can see from pictures the physical beauty of the ranch but you need to visit to appreciate and enjoy the whole experience of RHMR. The accomadations are tastefully decorated and maintained to the finest, down to the linens and bedding! Lauren and her kitchen staff are awesome. The meal selections were very appropiate for capturing the western dude ranch atmosphere with an interesting added gourmet touch. Brenda, Betty, Jim, Matt and their staff were extremely accomadating. I felt like we were the only guests on the ranch!! And you always know you were being taking care of because every now and then, Cory would appear to make sure all were happy.
What a trip...Thank you..thank you..thank you.

2  Thank Nancy and Jim F
Red_Horse_Mountain, General Manager at Red Horse Mountain Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Nancy and Jim ~
We very much enjoyed having you, your family, and friends at the ranch this year and sure do appreciate your review for us. What a wonderful family you all have and it was a pleasure to help make your time here special. I can honestly say that the staff here at the ranch are without a doubt some of the finest, caring folks I've had the pleasure to work with (if you can call it work). We all truly love this place and love sharing it with such fine folks. Don't be strangers, we'd sure love to see you all again very soon! Oh, and congratulations, I hear we might have some more planning to do for number 2. We tip our hats to you! Cory

Reviewed June 4, 2012

Red Horse Mountain Ranch was such a beautiful place! I had never been to this part of the country and we had an amazing time. Everyone at the ranch was beyond accommodating and kind. The food was delicious and the rooms were comfortable and clean. I would absolutely come back here as my trip felt too short!

1  Thank Jessica L
Red_Horse_Mountain, Manager at Red Horse Mountain Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Jessica ~ What a fantastic week it was and meeting all of your family and friends made it that much more special. I couldn't think of a better way to begin the marriage of two wonderful folks. Everything was just absolutely perfect! Thank you for all the kind words and I'm thankful Red Horse Mountain Dude Ranch could be a part of such an important family event. The weather during the horseback riding was blue skies! And it was so fun to have the entire wedding party, plus the groom and bride, riding the new Mega Zip Line!

I'll make sure to pass the message on to Lauren and the kitchen crew, as well as the housekeeping crew. Boy, what a crew we have this year! They sure were the ones that made it all happen! If you're ever in our neck of the woods, I sure hope you'll think of the ranch!

Reviewed June 2, 2012

This ranch is set among beautiful mountains. It borders a national forest, so you feel like you are in your own heaven of beautiful mountains, trees, and fields with no other civilization in sight. It is not just scenic though, it is full of exciting outdoor activities... horseback riding, skeet shooting, archery, zip line, spa, fishing, petting farm, swimming pool, volleyball, campfire, frisbee .... to much to do it all. It's also fun to watch the ranch hands work the horses, moving them to different corals and grazing fields. The food is delicious and fit the setting. Not too heavy so you feel ready for the next activity or to just sit and enjoy the views some more. The rooms are rustic but classy. No TV or cell phone reception; but I didn't miss it. I hated to leave.

Room Tip: Cabin rooms have great views, porches, refrigerators, and more room than the lodge. Some single cabi...
1  Thank Aaron James F

Been to Red Horse Mountain Ranch? Share your experiences!