“This "wanna be" high-end restaurant has a long way to go”
Review of Morels - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Morels
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Let's start with lunch. Nice selection; reasonably priced. Service was very slow, with only one other party dining at 1:30. If you see my other reviews, I like to select a burger the first time trying a new place - acts like a consistent barometer of taste, quality, value, etc. I made it clear to our waiter I expected my medium rare burger to be closer to rare and very pink, or I would send it back. Imagine if I didn't say that? My burger ($13) was very overcooked with no juiciness or flavor. I showed to waiter and of course he wanted to have the chef do another, but after waiting so long I said no. He came back and said they would comp the margarita. That was nice and I said OK. We selected a very good chocolate ice cream cone for desert.

Dinner the next week - You can order a burger, but most choices are more than double that price. For this "wanna be upscale restaurant", we didn't feel the prices were justified. The waiter, just as with lunch, was not at all seasoned, but was very young and seemed to be "learning how to be a waiter". The wine selection was expensive, with only 1 or 2 in the $30 range, then up above $50 - $200. Really! You would think if they expect patrons to buy their wines, they would learn how to properly store, chill and serve. Our Cabernet was "hot", and we had to ask for it to be chilled before it was even drinkable. That took forever; they brought out a chilled metal container, which would never do the job of bringing down the temp at least 15 degrees; we then asked for ice, and they put it in this container, which still wasn't adequate. Our last pour was finally at the right temp, but our meal had ended, and what could have been a pleasant dining experience was unnecessarily tarnished.

I enjoyed the Sea Bass ($26); hubby's Duck Breast ($20) had lots of fat and was almost rare - waiter had assured him the skin would be "very crispy"- lentil mash was interesting and very good; the Filet Mignon ($27) was done right, and was a good size with a nice sauce, but the morel mashers didn't appear to have any morels. Side salads were just OK. Waiter never asked what dressing we would like, and simply brought the house special.

Throughout the meal, the waiter never came back to check to see if we needed anything, or to clear our plates. We had to flag down another server to get what we needed. We probably would have enjoyed the experience much more if we didn't have the fiasco with the wine - really too bad.

PS - We chose to dine inside. Morel's patio section has a great view; most patrons were families with children. Being close to the pool area, the noise level of children swimming may not be conducive for business lunch or romantic dinner.