“And they called it Puppy Love!”
Review of Dog Bark Park Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cottonwood
Dog Bark Park Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Cottonwood B&B and Inns
Thundersley
“And they called it Puppy Love!”
Reviewed February 19, 2011

Our first sighting of the motel from the roadside was so exciting! We were so warmly welcomed by Dennis and Frances who were working in the workshop carving wooden dogs, a friendly welcome and immediately at ease. They showed us around and we got ourselves settled into the dog for the night! On their recommendation we had dinner at a local family restaurant which was excellent and inexpensive. The dog was clean, very comfortable and the fridge was stocked with delicious snacks - enough for a substantial breakfast and some for the road! We were glad that Dennis warned us that if there was a slight breeze we may hear the noise of the ears flapping. They did just a bit but not enough to disrupt a good night's sleep. The sunrise in the morning made spectacular viewing from the balcony. All in all it was well worth making the effort to incorporate it on our road trip from Seattle to Chicago. We loved the quirky theme and it has been a great conversation starter - how many people can say that they've stayed in a dog? After reading about it and viewing it on 'America Unchained' by Dave Gorman we just had to do it!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Travelling_Bootie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Palmyra
Reviewed October 14, 2010

There are other things to see in and around this small town on the West Central Idaho prairie, but the best place is where you close your eyes. At the Dog Bark Park Inn your family sleeps in the three-story beagle, Sweet Willy--adults in the well-appointed belly and children in their own play loft in the head. Breakfast is exceptional. And hosts, Dennis and Frances will find a way to make your stay extra special. You will also enjoy Dennis's chain saw art and a gift shop/workshop full of dog carvings of many breeds.

Well worth an approximate four-hour trip from Boise, Idaho; Spokane, Washington; or Missoula, Montana. Situated right on Highway 95, it is also about an hour from Clarkston, Washington and Lewiston, Idaho, between which is the base for jet boat trips along the Snake River into Hell's Canyon.

While in Cottonwood, visit the St. Genevieve Monastery, and ask Dennis how to find the best locations to photograph the wonderful basalt rock formations.

Great website at dogbarkparkinn.com.

4 Thank TJfan
Madison, WI, USA
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I had seen this place on a travel segment a few years ago and was determined to stay there if I was ever anywhere near Cottonwood. I was going to Portland, OR, so called and made my reservation Frances was very personable over the phone, but then she went beyond and sent me a long email with Lewis and Clark sites and other places of interest for me to stop at between Portland and Cottnwood. Her only mistake was telling me it was a 7-hour drive--it took me three days! (Which I figured into my plans.) I was traveling with my dog, who she said was more than welcome at Dog Bark Park, and we saw just about everrything there was to see along the Columbia River Gorge and had amazing experieicnes! On arrival in late afternoon, we found the refrigerator so fully stocked for "breakfast" that I didn't have to go out for dinner--what a pleasure to just relax. They even had a special dog place mat and water bowl set out for my dog! We spent our time there sightseeing in the area and picking out 2 carved beagles from their shop to take home with us. Just a couple things to note, which were fine with me: it is close to the highway, so there is some noise; there was no internet access, no TV, and I couldn't get a cell phone signal. However, there is a free 24-hour wi-fi hotspot in town and I could get a cell signal just a couple miles out of town. A great place to take kids, as the upstairs loft bedroom is perfect for them and well-stocked with games. Plenty of space to run around outside, too. I plan to go back with my husband. I tell all my friends I slept in a Beagle!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank mona_sydd_yma
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed September 24, 2010

My husband and Ilive in Nova Scotia and decided to take a road trip around the North Western States this summer. While googling attractions in Idaho and Montana the Dog Bark Park Inn popped up. As soon as I saw it I knew we needed to go there (we love dogs!). As it was fairly last minute there was only one night available so we restructured our itinerary to make it work . . . and it was SO worth it!

Frances and Dennis are such warm, kind people and after a seven hour drive to get there we were so appreciative of the yummy snacks, the cleanliness and comfort of the accommodations and the unique setting. Our friends haven't stopped asking us about it and loved the photos we took.

Thanks for being one of the highlights of our trip - if we're ever back in Idaho we will be sure to stay there again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HeidiRushton
Gresham, Oregon
Reviewed September 16, 2010

This was my third trip to Dog Bark Park and each time I go is more delightful than the last. Sweet Willie is so comfortable. The bed provides a great night's sleep, the breakfast is abundant and delicious, from homemade granola and coffee breads/muffins to yogurt, fresh fruit and hardboiled eggs, and the bathroom is more spacious than many chain motels. There's nothing better than sitting on the porch and gazing out over the Camas Prairie, then waiting for dark and more stars than a city dweller will see in a lifetime. Hosts Dennis and Frances have wonderful stories to share and a philosophy of life that is an example to us all. Visitors will love the grounds with all the whimsical creations. I take the same pictures each time I visit because everything is so delightful and each time I return there is something new that brings a smile to my face. Take the time to plan a visit to Dog Bark Park. Idaho is a beautiful state and you'll love whichever route you take to get there.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linda S
east helena
Reviewed August 29, 2010

The Dog Bark Park Inn is fun and the owners are experts in hospitality. Dennis and Frances were helpful and friendly and we felt well cared for.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Ontario
Reviewed August 13, 2010

A very private and comfortable room. Gorgeous Idaho sunsets from the balcony. Hosts are friendly and down-to-earth. Breakfast is made yourself, from a generous selection of tasty treats, in a simple kitchenette. Includes a good selection of snacks and beverages for the evening before as well. No TV or phone, but there is a lot to keep you busy. Games, puzzles, books, are provided, or you can just sip tea on the balcony while you watch the sunset. Much larger bathroom than most motels. Beautiful craftsmanship inside.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KitCat1972
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cottonwood
Gateway Inn
#1 of 2 in Grangeville
Downtowner Inn
Downtowner Inn
#2 of 2 in Grangeville

Been to Dog Bark Park Inn? Share your experiences!