“Shilo stay was so so” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Coeur d'Alene
Redmond, WA
“Shilo stay was so so”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2010

Arrived on a Friday night, and on Saturday morning the internet went out at the hotel for 3 days. Hotel claimed it was a Verizon issue, but they sure didn't seem to worry about it over the weekend. Rooms were ok, but in a need of an update. Carpeting is worn in the hallway. The breakfast set up was terrible. The opened a small conference room and set up tables to eat at. The food choice for breakfast was limited. Biscuits and gravy every morning (yuk). Homemade breakfast raps were terrible. The coffee was like drinking watered down tea. I was very disappointed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lowmanwa
GMShilo, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Coeur d'Alene, responded to this review, July 13, 2010
Dear lowmanwa:

Thank you for staying with us at the Coeur d’Alene Shilo Inn while traveling through northern Idaho. We appreciate your business as well as your comments and observations regarding your experience at our hotel. We deeply regret the Internet service outage that occurred while you were with us. Although the service interruption was completely out of our control we worked diligently to restore our service. We apologize for not meeting your expectations with regards to our breakfast selection. We are already looking into a wider variety of breakfast choices so that when you return to the Coeur d’Alene Shilo Inn you will experience a complimentary breakfast that is more to your liking while surfing the Internet.

Jamie – Hotel Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Bellevue, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2010

I am shocked at the positive reviews this hotel has received. But based on the reviews, I made a reservation and stayed at the Coeur D’Alene Shilo Inn for 2 nights. This hotel offers free internet, cookies and popcorn, none of which were available. I was told the regional manager just “stopped the cookies and popcorn” without warning, yet it’s still being advertised. And no internet for the 3-day weekend? The room smelled of 20 year old cigarette smoke, it was musty and the a/c machine sounded like a jet engine. I purchased the room through Orbitz b/c Shilo wouldn’t match their price. But because I had no internet, I couldn’t contact Orbitz. I also paid for a room with 2 queen beds, but they were out. Requested a quiet room to the front desk clerk and emailed Shilo the day I made the reservation-heard the hi-way all night long. Because of the holiday weekend, there was no GM on site. In fact, my husband even called the 1-800 number and there were no GM’s on site at any of the hotels across the country! The front desk clerk said she could get us a quieter room but wouldn’t be able to until later in the day-we were at Silverwood until 11pm, so no, didn’t switch rooms that late at night. The buffet breakfast consisted of packaged food, the fresh fruit was an apple, and once the biscuits and gravy were out, there was no refill. After working in the hotel industry for 10 years (The Holiday Inn) I was shocked at the lack of courtesy and care for guests staying in this chain. We’ll never step foot into a Shilo Inn again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank clydehillmom
GMShilo, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Coeur d'Alene, responded to this review, July 9, 2010
Dear clydehillmom:

Thank you for taking the time to gather your thoughts and record your observations regarding your recent stay at the Coeur d’Alene Shilo Inn. We regret that you did not enjoy your visit.

We apologize that the hotel description on the third party web site was inaccurate and out of date – we are taking steps to rectify this situation. Unfortunately the Internet service provider for the entire area experienced service outages over the holiday weekend. We share in your frustration as this utility outage was completely out of our control.

At the Shilo Inn – Coeur d’Alene, as all Shilo Inns, property management is available twenty four hours a day and seven days a week. Should one of our valued guests need immediate assistance the property manager is available via the front desk agents at any time. Shilo Guest Services and corporate level assistance is also available at any time by reaching out to our toll free telephone number: 800-222-2244. The Coeur d’Alene Shilo Inn is proud of the many favorable reviews that we have earned and that you have so graciously mentioned. We have built our stellar guest service reputation by exemplary guest service so consequently our team is disappointed that we could not change your perception of our hotel and improve your overall experience.

Please contact property management so that we make your next stay at the Coeur d’Alene Shilo In as pleasant as possible. We would like the opportunity to continue to earn your business in the future.

Jamie

Hotel Management

Travelers are raving about these Coeur d'Alene hotels

Boca Raton, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2010

My husband and I own property on Lake Coeur d Alene and try to spend as much summer time as our schedules will allow us in Coeur d Alene and away from the heat and humidity of South Florida. For this purpose we keep a motor home in storage here. Every May we fly out and do all the things necessary to provision and get the motor home ready to drive out to the property. We finally decided not to try and do it in one day and would spend the first night in town. We have stayed in several different hotels during the last 6 years including the Coeur d Alene restort. We were extremely lucky to call the SHILO INN since they had a hotel shuttle from Spokane Airport. Wow what service! Tony picked us up right on time and is very friendly, Tom at the front desk did everything he could to give us a great room at a remarkable price. Understanding how tired we must be after 12 hours of flying he upgraded our room The room was exceptionally roomy and clean. The next morning after a complimentary hot breakfast, we were rested and ready to go. For the money, it doesn't get much better. I won't bother nor need to shop on line for the best hotel/rates online again. We will see you soon Tom, Tony and Roxanne.
Warmest Regards,
Skip & Debbie Vashon

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2010

Heading into the lobby of the Shilo Inn and seeing the Orkin Man coming out, I almost turned on my heel and left. That's an unfortunate first impression for any hotel guest -- made worse by the fact that a friend had been complaining of bed bugs in his new apartment. Yuck.

But knowing the reviews on Tripadvisor were good and we were on the road with a *very* unhappy nine-month-old, I decided to keep an open mind, not tell my wife and get our room ASAP.

The lobby is quite nice, and the room was good as well -- the first of two large mini-suite style rooms we stayed in on our trip (fantastic for a portable crib). Everything seemed clean and the rooms were cozy, although maybe a little dated?

Continental breakfast was fine, although cereal seemed to disappear from the offerings in a hurry (it did, however, seem like a pretty busy night). Overall it was a pleasant stay for our brief time in Coeur d'Alene. The staff were merely average, I thought... I can't recall if it was checkout or check-in, but one of the reps struck me as particularly indifferent.

Best of all, despite that Orkin man, no little friends in our room or anywhere to be seen.

Struggled a little bit with a three- or four-star rating, but with Tripadvisor classifying three as "average," I definitely feel a four is merited. Despite some minor concerns, I think the Shilo is a step above other properties in the price range. I've had better deals in big cities via bargain websites, but at standard rates, the Shilo is good value.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank jamsandwich101
cdamanager, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Coeur d'Alene, responded to this review, February 8, 2010
Dear jamsandwich101,

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to comment on your visit to the Shilo Inn Suites - Coeur d’Alene. Your comments and suggestions are very much appreciated as we use your observations as a learning tool to improve our hotel.

I wanted to clarify the purpose of the Orkin man at our hotel for you. I can assure you we do not have any issues with bugs or any little pests at our hotel. We have the hotel attended to monthly to ensure this does not happen. I can certainly understand your concerns. We are overly cautious when it comes to pest control as to assure our guest’s comfort and enjoyment during their stay with us.

I have also spoken with each staff member to ensure that none of our guests receive anything but over the top guest service. This is something Shilo prides itself on and was disappointed to hear that you didn’t have that experience. Thank you for your kind comments regarding your own personal rating for our hotel. We also feel that we provide a four star experience for our valued guests.

I hope you return to stay with us soon and thank you again for sharing your experience with us.

Jamie - Operations Manager
Billings, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2009

My husband Larry and I (Linda) Buckingham just stayed at your facility on Monday, December 21st. Tom greeted us like we were old friends and gave us a wonderful suggestion for a place to have dinner. We ate at Tomato Street and had one of the best meals we have ever had at a restaurant!! We asked the waitress if it was a chain and she told us there was only one other like it in Spokane.
We were so impressed with the service and atmosphere that we will definitely go the next time we are in either city.
Tom was an excellent host and remembered our names the next morning when we came down for breakfast and when I checked out before leaving.
We will highly recommended the Shilo Inn Coeur d' Alene to anyone we know traveling through there.
Thank you again Tom!!!! and a very Merry Christmas to all!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank missyb59
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2009

We expected this hotel to not be very nice. We were wrong. We were there because we were performing at Silverwood Theme Park. They were very friendly about accommodating large groups. The layout of the hotel was set up very well. It made for fun times for teenagers. The pool was very fun except when it got crowded. The staff never seemed to mind the crowd. Our favorite part was the fresh baked cookies in the lobby. I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to the theme park, but not for a resort type trip.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
cdamanager, Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Coeur d'Alene, responded to this review, December 1, 2009
Dear flaminco4,
I wanted to thank you for your taking the time to tell other Trip Advisor readers about your stay with the Shilo Inn Suites- Coeur d’Alene. Our staff is focused on presenting all of our guests with our Shilo hospitality so we are pleased to count you as one of our many happy guests. Large groups are just as important to us as individuals who stay in the hotel. Our cookies are very enticing and just one of the great free amenities that separates Shilo from other hotels. Thank you again for your generous comments and we look forward to having you stay with Shilo again!

Jamie - Operations Manager
AB, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2009

After a terrible nite in a different hotel, I called the Shilo Inn to see if they had a room to fit my needs. I explained my situation to the front desk and he told us to come over and they would show us their rooms.Tom( the front desk conncierre) was such a gentleman and he set up a tour of their inn.The room was awesome and very clean with everything that I was looking for.They gave us the room a dollar less than the previous hotel's rate and were extremely sympathetic to our situation.All of the staff that we met were so friendly and the inn itself was extremely comfortable.The only suggestion that I could make to the Inn would be to incorporate a grassy area for our dogs to use.They have a small area of grass near the front of the inn but there are picnic tables and we felt uncomfortable using that area when there were people sitting there eating.Otherwise we loved our stay and will definitely come back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple