“No complaints or surprises - but its dated and it shows”

Shilo Inn Suites - Coeur d'Alene
Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Coeur d'Alene
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I was a little skeptical after reading some of the reviews. It was not a great hotel but the room I stayed in on the fourth floor was a good size, clean and smelled normal. No stains in my room but I did notice a large carpet stain near one of the main floor exit doors but no smell there either. The free breakfast was basic, coffee, cereal, make your own waffles, muffins, bagels and cream cheese. The air conditioning worked well during the 90 degree heat of July. I would stay again, but I would make sure I checked in early to have the option of switching rooms just in case I ran into a room like I read about in other reviews. If you can’t check in early I would look for another hotel. Based on my stay I wouldn’t be surprised if some area of the hotel had rooms that could be substandard. Mine was clean and very functional.

Room Tip: Check in early.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank NWOregonTraveler
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Coeur d'Alene, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

Dear NWOregonTraveler,

Thank you for writing a review about your stay at the Coeur d’ Alene Shilo Inn. I’m pleased to hear you were happy with your room and accommodations. Even though the hotel has some areas that we are working on updating I can assure you that we clean every room to your and our high standards so every guest can experience our spacious and clean rooms. I hope you’re able to stay with Shilo Inns again soon.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

I stayed one night (one too many) at the Shilo Inn in Coeur D'Lene, Idaho in June 2012. The minute we walked in I knew it was a mistake. There were no other rooms at other hotels because of the Iron Man Triathalon that day in Coeur D'Lenne. The hotel common areas are filthy. The hotel had a terrible smell. The place is old, dated and disgusting. The halls and main areas have stains and spills on the walls, the carpet is in rags and dirty. I used the hotel computer to try to find another room at a different hotel. The desk and computer keyboard were dirty,sticky and the dust on the keys was so thick everytime I typed a letter the dust came up. The drawer to the desk had a bunch of trash and spills inside. The instant I got up, I went to scrub my hands. When we got to our room and opened the door, the smell put us off immediately. I opened the windows and turned the ac up as high as it would go. We left hoping it would smell better when we returned. The room was old, dated but clean. The bed was tolerable. Breakfast in the morning was in their conference room. Standard fare for motels, nothing great. But the attention to detail such as a way to pick up a spoon or fork with out touching all the others was not there. It felt like they threw it on the tables and no one came to tidy or clean as guests came and left. If this is how Shilo Inns are, I will never even try one again. My advice...Do Not stay there. There are mom and pop's that are ten times better. Try the Flaming Motel!

Room Tip: Try another hotel!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Dear Vinogirl,

I apologize you were not happy with our accommodations from your most recent visit to the Coeur d’ Alene Shilo Inns. I appreciate your thoughts on where the hotel and staff can improve and will use these as a guideline on how to better our guest’s experiences. Please contact me if there’s anything I can do to earn your valued business back.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Rooms are fine, although a little aged. Air conditioner was good (it was in the 90's while we were there). There was no air in the hallway or the elevator though. Got hot everytime we had to go somewhere outside the room. Being on the 4th floor (4 total floors) the water pressure wasn't high in the shower, but acceptable. Basic cable channels only on the TV. Had to go downstairs or elevator to get to an ice machine. This hotel is next to the freeway, which can be noisy, but the air conditioner sort of drowns that out. I never really was bothered by the freeway noise.

The breakfast was better than some "free" ones, but the room was always filthy. They put down table cloths on the serving area and the tables to eat at. Every day we went they were pretty disgusting. Not sure if they put new ones down each day and people are just slobs or what.

Had a lot of trouble with the electronic key cards. We stayed for 8 nights and had to keep going back to get them re-written. Sometimes had to put it in the door over and over until it would finally open. Same for the outside doors, pool door, etc. They keep blaming it on getting the card too close to your cell phone - what a stupid excuse. They need to handle the maintenance of their locks which is probably the issue - they get old and dirty and need to be maintained.

The pool was nice, but we had to ask for towels at least every other time we went in.

There is a JB's restaurant as you pull into the hotel parking lot. It was pretty decent - better than Denny's. Had a great breakfast buffet ($6.99) and great salad bar ($6.49) both all you can eat.

This hotel is near a lot of fast food places (just east on Appleway). Also some good better restaurants nearby. Texas Roadhouse is pretty good.

Overall it was good for the price, although there are much newer hotels in the area.

Room Tip: 101, 102, 201, 202, 301, 302, 401, 402 are the rooms at the end of the building closest to the freew...
1  Thank onustack
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Coeur d'Alene, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Dear onustack,

Thank you very much for writing a review about your most recent stay at Shilo Inn Coeur d’ Alene. I’m pleased to hear you found your room at Shilo’s high standards. I apologize that you had such problems with your room keys; we do occasionally find that cell phones or magnetized devices that can get close to room keys deactivate them so it’s not meant to be a stupid excuse for any of our guests just a possible explanation. Since the hotel does have high occupancy in the summer our breakfast room does have constant traffic in it. I can assure you that our table clothes are washed daily but with our make your own waffles and other potentially messy items to choose from, some tablecloths do get more soiled than others throughout breakfast hours. I hope you’re able to return to Shilo Inns again soon and take advantage of the great value we provide for guests.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The lobby appeared clean and the staff was friendly, but inside the door on the side of the building the staff told us to use there was some type of stain on the carpet that was about 10 feet long and three feet wide, and it smelled. The walls throughout the hotel were dingy and dirty and when the elevator door opened there were what appeared to be grease stains all over the carpet inside the elevator and it smelled like someone urinated inside. Our room, as well as the entire floor we were on, smelled like mold and urine. When we got into our room, there were bits of different types of food on the floor and on the furniture. There was mold growing in the shower and we were all afraid to take our shoes off the entire time we stayed, which was 3 days. We could not find any other accomodations in Coeur D'Alene because I called around to several other hotels and all were booked. The breakfast reminded me of a soup kitchen or homeless shelter. The air conditioner worked good in our room, and it was a good thing because the hallways to the rooms were what the temperature outside was, which was about 95 degrees. We were on a vacation trip and had booked a room at the Bend Oregon Shilo Inn, for the remainder of our trip, but I called and cancelled and booked another hotel there due to the conditions at this Shilo Inn. Also, when I called the Bend Oregon Shilo Inn, the person who answered the phone said she would, "take care of it", meaning my cancellation, but I had a hunch she didn't so I called the corporate number a few hours later and they had no record of anyone cancelling it. Seemed kind of shady to me...

Room Tip: read reviews from other people who have stayed there.
1  Thank JamesP898
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Our room was big and clean. The price was reasonable. Staff was friendly. However, I wasn't impressed with breakfast. The breakfast bar was very dirty with crumbs and waffle mix all over the tableclothes. The tables that were available to sit at were dirty. They had run out of coffee cup lids.

Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Dear loriknight,

Thank you very much for writing a review regarding your most recent stay at the Coeur d’ Alene Shilo Inn. I’m happy to hear you found your room clean, spacious and were pleased with the value of our rooms as well as our friendly staff. I appreciate your suggestions for improvement in regards to our breakfast bar. With heavy summer occupancy keeping the breakfast area clean at all times is a challenge so thank you for letting me know that we still need more detail to this issue. I hope you’re able to stay at Shilo Inns again soon.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

The good : Price was good, room was huge, clean, decent bed, ok pillows. Very friendly staff but that seems like the norm in ID.
The bad: wifi, so slow I decided to switch hotels on my way back from WA, wifi was pretty much non existent.
Very loud people in the halls, banging around till midnight. Room and halls smelled like mildew, but with the window open for a while the smell went away. Never used the pool too many kids. Breakfast was a joke and crowded for less than average food.
Would give it 2 stars but the rooms were clean and huge, great for kids, not so great for couples.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2012

This was the first time staying at a Shilo Inn, what a great experience. The pool and fitness center is open all day yes 24 hours which was very nice. Breakfast is adequate. Staff were friendly, knowledgeable and just very knowledgeable. Room was a nice size with a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. A very pleasant experience, I would high recommend. Very clean.

Room Tip: They did not have a restaurant attached but there were lots of local places around. One organic res...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank hilda102320
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Dear Hilda102320,

Thank you very much for writing such a great review regarding your most recent stay at the Coeur d’ Alene, Shilo Inn. I’m so pleased to hear you experienced the friendly staff, cleanliness and large suites that the CDA Shilo is know for. Thank you for recommending Shilo to other potential guests as a home away from home. I hope you’re able to come and stay again soon.