“Very Good!”

Toro Viejo
Ranked #64 of 260 Restaurants in Coeur d'Alene
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I came here on a first time visit from Florida and skeptical about good Mexican restaurants in Idaho. Boy was I was wrong. Yes the place could use a cosmetic upgrade, but perhaps it's meant to be this way. In any case, the food and service was EXCELLENT. We both had fajita plates which came with generous portions of meat, peppers, and onions. Side dishes standard rice and refried beans. We asked for corn tortillas which were thick and tasty (real corn). Did I mention the salsa? Not cheap ketchup-grade, this was the real thing. Overall, Toro Viejo is much better than chain Mexican places in California and Florida and a gem for anyone who likes Mexican food.
If you visit Coeur d'Alene, and want a break from Northwest food, please check out this place in downtown and enjoy the shopping along the way. I'd come back. Now if only they made huckleberry margaritas....

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I had the asada and shrimp the meat was flavorless and dry as was the shrimp the rice was also over cooked. My husband had a chile relleno and it was soggy and tasteless overall a huge dissapointment. It's not worth your money and for those of you who don't know what Mexican food is suppose to taste like that's not it at all. My kids took their food home and threw it away.Our drinks were always full but the food was just bad. Now I have to make chiles rellenos to make up for choosing the restaurant.

1  Thank NellyElk
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We went for lunch and it was pretty good. Service was outstanding. My drink and salsa never went empty. The atmosphere was very authentic. You feel like your in mexico. Great salsa it has some heat to it.

1  Thank Razz_N_James
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We have been frequenting Toro's since they first opened many years ago. I cannot say enough about each and every excellent dining experience. The extensive menu offers many "traditional" Mexican dishes plus so many wonderful authentic meals from their own family recipes. All the sauces, including their homemade salsa are amazing. We are particularly fond of their seafood dishes like their Camerone Toro Viejo! The restaurant staff is always friendly and the service is excellent. It's all that plus a great value, too.

1  Thank PeggyJoan
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Maybe it was a lot of things that day but it just seemed like nothing was right, the food wasn't that good, service was bad, anyway we will give it another try.