“Our new "go-to" restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Cellar Restaurant - CLOSED

The Cellar Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 4th Street
Description: Coeur d'Alene's Premier Restaurant & Bar. Featuring live music, modern northwest cuisine, handcrafted cocktails - selected local beers on tap and one of the most extensive wine lists in the area with a 3000 bottle cellar, "AWARD OF EXCELLENCE" from WINE SPECTATOR 2013 thru 2016. Truly a sight to behold! Our cuisine highlights the best of local farmers and producers to create an unique dining experience paired. We strive to create authentic food and hospitality for our guests so they feel like they have experienced something a little different and special. Life can be so good...
Coeur d'Alene, ID
“Our new "go-to" restaurant”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My hubby and I tried the Wine cellar last night for the first time and were very,very pleased with the food, ambience, and service.
I recently finished a Peter Mayle book and have had a hankering for a good Bouillabaisse. This is easier said then done as, more often than not, bouillabaisse in USA restaurants tends to be overly spiced, too tomato-y, or overdone on the shellfish. To avoid disappointment, I asked for a taste of the broth prior to committing myself to this dish, and.....holy moly, it was spot on. It had a perfect balance of saffron, tomato, and fish essence. I ordered my bouillabaisse without hesitation, and was very very pleased with my meal.
For starters, we shared a delicious baked brie that was a bit unusual in that it was baked in a loaf of crusty bread, with an apple chutney on the side and a wine reduction accent. My husband, however, was disappointed with his Prime Rib soup, saying it was too spicy.
For dessert I had a wonderful Carrot Cake cocktail that was totally delish.
The setting for the evening couldn't be better, in the basement with the many different architectural textures (ceiling beams, stone wall, brick columns) under soft lighting. A pianist and bass player provided nice background music (e.g. Sting), with no vocalist. We took a seat at the rear of the dining room, not wanting to be overpowered by the music coming from the stage, but this wouldn't have been an issue as the volume was just right no matter where you were seated downstairs.
We thought the prices very reasonable ($19 for the bouillabaisse, $10 for the shared baked brie), and we will definitely be back.

Hayden, Idaho
“Disappointing”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Downstairs is very tastefully decorated. However, it is not the place to sit if you want to carry on a conversation or listen to the music. Large groups will sit down there making it hard to hear your companions. Perhaps due to those groups our service was slow & the food was on the cold side. My ribeye steak was a little chewy. The wine and deserts were very good. I am a local & probably will not return. Expensive meal.

2 Thank TerreG
Mobile, Alabama
“Excellent Italian Food”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We went here for dinner because we heard on the street that it was good. Word on the street was correct. Of course, the wine selection was expansive and was reasonably priced. Reason alone to visit. But we also had an incredible seafood pasta dish and bouillabaisse. And if you can find something to put their onion marmalde on, do it. That stuff is incredible. The service was really good and our waiter, and those otherse we listened to, were very helpful. When you ask, "What is good?" they don't tell you, "Everything."

1 Thank lawilbur
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
“Meh.”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Went on a date with my husband around fathers day and wasn't very impressed with all the hype. The food was good, over priced though and the drinks were pleasant. I would probably return for a cocktail or a glass of wine and that's about it. It's a nice place, I like that Icon is gone, I guess I can be grateful for that too. My husband on the other hand thought the food wasn't that great, but hey, he's hard to please when dining out.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Lacedbabe87
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
“Wine Machine! Try it.”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I have been coming here for years through all kinds of ups and downs in service, cuisine and ownership. What a ride it has been. All the drama aside. They have a wine machine dispenser, like those coffee dispensers in the 70's that drop your cup and cream with coffee? It's just the oddest thing to pair with fine wine, but definitely worth a look at. If you are wandering down Sherman, try it out. Put a few bucks in the slot and out comes pours from bottles you could never normally afford to buy in the dining room.

Visited July 2013