“Security the only REAL issue”

Baymont Inn & Suites Coeur D Alene
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Coeur d'Alene
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I would give this hotel an average rating was it not for the security issue we experienced.

We were on the road when we booked this hotel, and I did not realize there were 2 La Quinta locations in Coeur D'Alene (my fault). We had stayed at the other location and were quite happy the last time we were through, and I just assumed we would be satisfied... but not so much.

The rooms were clean and the King bed is huge and comfortable (as all La Quinta's we have stayed at). The hotel is dated, but that has never been an issue for us, as long as it is safe and clean.

The arrival and booking was satisfactory, and we moved our car over to the east doors to be closer to move our luggage.

We were a bit bothered by the group of people loitering around outside the doors smoking and watching us as we figured out what to take in... but we carried on. I inserted my key to open the side door, and noticed at that time the door was unlocked to everyone. I assumed at that time, there would be an auto-locking system that would kick in when the evening arrived. We took EVERYTHING up to our room, as we were not REALLY comfortable with the folks hanging out watching what we had in our trunk/car.

OLDER guests please NOTE: our room on the top floor (a bit of a climb with no elevator) but not really an issue for us.

Had a great sleep and we were heading down for the "Bright Side Breakfast" when we opened the hallway door at the top of the stairs to find a transient person sleeping, only feet from our room door... I was so startled I let out a gasp, but then headed down to the front desk to report what we found. My husband said I hope he is ONLY sleeping... (that had not occurred to me).

Staff acted quickly and minutes later we saw him walking across the parking lot. The person at front desk came over and told us he had left.

Now, to be fair, I did do a survey sent to me by the hotel, and they did call and email me to say they have adjusted their procedures to hopefully prevent this issue from happening again. THANK YOU for that. But I still feel obligated to give the heads up to future guests. Check that side door and make sure it gets locked at night... we were lucky it was just a young man sleeping we encountered... this could have been much worse.

We travel lots and use La Quinta's often (La Quinta Reward card holder). We worry little about the decor or even if staff are rude... the bottom line is ARE WE SAFE, and in a clean room.

This is the first review I have written here... but I thought the heads up should be given.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mark_Laura_G

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I am always pleased with my stays at most La Quinta locations. This one was no exception. I was very happy with my stay and the service. I will be back the next time I am in the Coeur D'Alene area. My only suggestion to future guests would be if you get a suite, like we did, get the suite on the upper floor because if the suite above you runs their jacuzzi tub it is so extremely loud!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
1  Thank sanlm
Karen L, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Coeur D Alene, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

We appreciate your feedback and are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay here at La Quinta. We look forward to having you back in the future!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We have stayed at La Quinta Inns in Fargo ND and Butte Montana. Those experiences were very good with both staff and facilities.
We booked this hotel thinking that it would compare with the others....wrong.
The hotel itself isn't bad although it has seen better times. I understand that CDA is a tourist town and that things are going to be more costly...i get it, but with the number of competitive properties there, you would think extra effort would be put into attracting customers to return.
The room was basic, and really it is just a place to shower and sleep, after all when in CDA, you won't sit in a hotel room. You will be out doing all the things CDA has to offer. But...you probably get the picture.
The other La Quinta locations we have stayed at offered a far superior breakfast. this breakfast was limited to toast, bagels, waffles and cereal, with yogurt and hard boiled eggs thrown in.
the coffee urns were usually empty, as were the jugs of juice.
A let down as a breakfast buffet for sure. (there is an IHOP a short drive away, so if you crave sausage or bacon, go there instead)
the other locations also had a "manager's meal" in the evening which was popular. This location unfortunately does not, which is another negative.
With the competition in the hotel business the way it is in CDE, we will seek other accommodations when visiting in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kermit403

I apologize this stay was not up to standard. I will take your comments into consideration, we are always striving to improve.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed overnight at this La Quinta on our way back from Yellowstone. We were looking for a hotel closer to the lake and what a shame for this lovely lakeside town that all the motels are almost ontop of the Interstate! The La Quinta is between the interstate and downtown, so a compromise, but better than having the I90 as a neighbour. There is a nice pool area and coffee with real cream available all day/evening which is a very nice touch. Coffee is medium roast too, which I really appreciate ;). Room smelled a bit musty and was a bit tired but it was fine for our needs for the night with a large refrigerator and 2 comfy queen beds.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Miner_Adventures

I am glad you enjoyed our ammenities and convenient location! We hope to have you again!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I made an unfortunate last-minute decision to stay at this La Quinta Inn--and I hope we never have to stay in a La Quinta again. Upon entering the room, we were overwhelmed by the smell of residual tobacco--and this was a designated non-smoking room. When I told the desk clerk of the problem, he simply gave me a spray bottle of room deodorizer. In addition, the room was dated and dingy with uncomfortable beds.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, check the room out before committing.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jan21248
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We had to get the last room available which was 200 for the night which last minute was nice to get a room, but you would think for a room that they charged so much for would be more comfortable and a little more space. The bed was not very comfortable along with the stiff funky pillows that feel like 20 year old crunchy feather pillows with a bit of wet cardboard mixed in. Inthe pool, there was a pool light that had come out of the socket and was just floating around still attached by a cord which didnt seem too safe. There was just a bunch of used towels lying around with the shelf for clean towels empty. Drink machines and exercise room out of order too. Been in way better hotels that had the quality to go with the prices. Even if we had paid less, i still wouldn't of been impressed.

Room Tip: First floor rooms on the north side have a horrible view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Shanna M

I apololgize this stay was not up to standards.

A La Quinta traveler
Moscow, Idaho, USA
Reviewed July 16, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
1  Thank A La Quinta traveler
Karen L, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Coeur D Alene, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013