“Missed it by "that" much”
Review of Greenbriar Inn

Greenbriar Inn
Ranked #4 of 10 Coeur d'Alene B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 4, 2011

The good...
This was our first visit to the Greenbriar Inn. We arrived three hours ahead of check-in time yet the staff graciously accommodated us. We stayed in room #4 which is located on the top floor in the very front of the house. The room was very quaint, yet charming, which is to be expected in a home of it's era.
We booked our stay under the fall promotion which included a bottle of wine for the room. We were offered a choice of cabernet, merlot or chardonnay. We chose the chardonnay and were pleasantly surprised to receive a bottle of Canyon Road, rather than the usual private-label salad dressing you often get in the complimentary category.
The offer also included a credit towards dinner in the Tapas restaurant and the food was outstanding. Just be forewarned that the serving sizes are much larger than you typically associate with the tapas style. There was also live entertainment provided in the outdoor gazebo that added considerably to the ambiance. And, of course, the fantastic selection of martinis didn't hurt. There was a large party of twenty or so that arrived toward the middle of our meal but the quality of the service didn't falter -- kudos to the staff.
The not-so-good...
We both felt the bed linens were a bit spartan and in need of some more pillows. Or at least a couple of pillows that couldn't easily be slid under a door.
Continental breakfast is included with the room and in the morning is placed in a refrigerator located in the lounge on your floor. Each breakfast is labeled with a room number. When we retrieved ours, we found a plate with nothing more than two mini-bagels, one full slice of coffee cake, a few smaller broken pieces of coffee cake and a half of one slice of orange as a garnish. There was also a carafe of milk and a carafe of orange juice in the refrigerator. There was plenty of milk but only about 1/3 of a glass of OJ left. After careful consideration, we've narrowed it down to 2 possibilities as to why the breakfast was so bad. The first possibility is that the proprietor, a highly-acclaimed caterer, really just doesn't get the whole breakfast thing. The second, and the one we're running with, is that one or more of the other guests poached our food. While we certainly can't hold the staff accountable for food-pilfering guests, we will definitely mark them down a few points for being nowhere to be found in the morning. Not a soul. What might have been a small inconvenience if we could find someone to remedy the situation was a real bummer. To be fair, we probably could have made more of an effort to find someone; maybe by calling the Inn's main number, etc. But, the whole idea of visiting a B&B in the first place is to avoid making efforts. So, we loaded up the car and headed a few blocks down the street for an excellent breakfast and a great view of the lake at the Dockside Cafe located in the Coeur D'Alene Resort.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AJW061061
hospitality9660, Owner at Greenbriar Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2011

Dear Guest,
Thankyou for taking the time to review our property. Naturally, we are pleased with what you found to be good about us. But we take very seriously any negative comments made to us personally or online. Upoon investigation, I would like to assure you that we have remedied what we are able to remedy with regards to bedding. With regards to the food offered, I would have to agree that this is not typical of our service. However, in addition to placing pastries for the AM in guest rooms from now on, we will be offering whole fruit as well as cut fruit for our guests, and frozen entrees for those that want proteins in the AM. Overall, we get many positive reviews, and we are genuinely sorry for any lack on our part. As to a lack of personnell here, I cannot say. Generally we have an abundance of staff. Perhaps someone went to the store for supplies and missed you. But, thankyou again. We always strive for the best possible experience for our guests. Sincerely, Kris McIlvenna and Staff

Reviewed August 26, 2011

We loved coming to this B&B/Tapas restaurant! I was here on business and stayed over the weekend and my wife was able to be with me. Coeur d'Alene is a wonderful place in the summer anyhow and this place is a real sleeper. We stayed upstairs in room 5. It was very comfortable and quiet with a kitchen available upstairs as well. But the real find of this place is the tapas restaurant downstairs. In particular we had dinner in the bar (small bar - five seats, I think) but do yourself a favor and spend some time with Michael I., the bartender and creative spirit. We had a blast exploring their amazing creative martinis along with excellent dinners; fresh salmon and steak. Michael was a wealth of information and a very enjoyable host. He is a true mixologist and is creating his own bitters and syrups. There was nothing in this bar that was canned or frozen. It was homemade and what a difference it made. There was a real creative use of herbs as well as different combinations you would not expect. Try the Basil Briar, with vodka, basil, fennel, and lemon. Or the Lewis and Clark with gin, lemon, cucumber, and rosemary. It took drinks to a whole new level and we really had fun. I look forward to coming back. It was a very charming space and we look forward to coming back. One small tip would be for the room to have some added hooks to hang towels to dry. Minor, minor complaint. Marc B.

Room Tip: There are three floors and we were on the top floor and heard no noise around us.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Marc B
Reviewed August 18, 2011

We are from Illinois and visited Idaho for a cousin's wedding. Before heading to Sandpoint, ID, my fiance, soon to be in laws, and I stayed a night in Coeur d'Alene and were guests of this B & B. Booking anything without a personal reference can be a risk and so we were hoping for the best with Greenbriar Inn.

We were so impressed with our decision!!! The location of Greenbriar is outstanding and the cost per night is so reasonable for being a few blocks from the heart of town. We stayed in rooms #1 and #2 which were so quaint and provided anything we may need for our stay. Breakfast was ready for us in our shared kitchen/floor space and more than enough for two people.

We did not have any complaints from our stay at Greenbriar Inn and wished we were booked for a second night. We definitely recommend this B & B and hope to return in the future!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Heather P
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I lived in CDA for 7 years and in 2008 moved back to Maryland. I come back to CDA every summer to spend time with my friends. This year I chose to stay at the Greenbriar (instead of imposing on friends) so I could be close to downtown. I had passed the Greenbriar often when I lived in town. I had always wanted to stay here! My stay was AMAZING! Where do I start? First, Kris the owner of this lovely Inn was so warm and charming. She (and her amazing staff) were in tune with the needs of all their guests. The Inn is beautifully appointed from the hand selected furniture in each guest room to the wonderful porch seating. I had the opportunity to stay in three rooms during my stay. My favorite was room #4 on the third floor. I felt like a princess. Although I do have to say...every room had a charm that I adored! The common areas on each floor were as comfortable as the rooms themselves. Having access to a refridgerator and computer (free wi fi) were incredibly helpful during my stay. Oh, and the breakfast....it was awesome! Breakfast was left for me every morning to eat at my leisure. I sat out on the porch and enjoyed my breakfast and coffee each morning. It was lovely. The garden setting below was filled with birds and flowers. The history of this Inn is amazing..ask to see the scrapbook. The Inn is so close to downtown that I hardly ever used my rental car. I walked everywhere! The beach, restaurants, shopping, kayak rentals, parasailing, boat tours, etc....are all three blocks from the Inn. Oh goodness, how could I forget to mention Tapas 315, the restaurant in the Greenbriar. I had friends meet me for cocktails and tapas...AMAZING!!! You must try the Basil martini....it was the best martini I have ever had! 75 degree weather, a band playing in the background, garden setting, yummy food and drinks. What more do you need? Ah yes, a hot tub. They have one out on the porch off the common room on the 2nd floor. I promise you, I never wanted to leave! Unfortunately, I sit here in Maryland (95 degrees and 100% humidity) and reminisce on my truly wonderful stay at the Greenbriar. Kris....thank you for everything!!! See you next year! Rebecca

Room Tip: Room 3# is great for those with early risers and late sleepers...bedroom is separate from tv and bat...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 8, 2011

The Inn is beautiful and the food is fairly good. That’s as far as my positive comments go with respect to the Green Briar Inn. The service was atrocious!

Myself and five friends spent the night at the Inn as part as a ladies weekend. We wait ~30 minutes in the lobby before the staff checked us in. During this time the staff members actively ignored us.

At dinner the service was slow and rude. The menu offers many tapas and drinks. We ended up ordering two rounds of tapas and drinks. The second round of orders was met with annoyance and reluctance. After waiting a LONG time, we finally sought out any staff member so we could pay and leave.

While making the reservations on the phone I was told that Sunday brunch was included with our stay. On Sunday when I mentioned this to our waiter his response was “Do you have that in writing?”

All the ladies agreed that this was some of the worst dining and lodging service we have ever received.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank HeatherParis1
hospitality9660, Owner at Greenbriar Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2011

I know you posted your disappointing service experience at the 315 restaurant here at the Greenbriar Inn. By far most of our guests indicate that they've had a wonderful time, and are happy to say so, so you can be sure we take any complaint very seriously.
It is true that Sunday Brunch is not complimentary. Only the continental breakfast is complimentary. I received a phone call from the waiter that worked with you about that, and I told him to comp your breakfast anyway, if that was your understanding. I never would argue with a guest, or put our waitstaff in that position. But I imagine he asked if you had a coupon or something, because a free Sunday brunch is not something we offer here. That is why he asked if you had something in writing. I am sorry that question offended you.

Reviewed June 30, 2011

My wife and I enjoyed a delicious meal and wine here while traveling through on a family road-trip vacation. The tapas were perfectly sized and scrumptious. The staff was helpful and friendly. The dining room and Inn are beautifully restored. There was a small jazz combo playing while we dined....providing a great atmosphere. This is a hidden gem in Coeur d'Alene. After finding it on TripAdvisor - we definitely plan to stay at the Inn on our next visit!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ShawnBarigar
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Greenbriar Inn and 315 Martini and Tapas offers a relaxing atmosphere while enjoying the sounds of soft jazz. This Victorian Style place is like no other. Great place to hold a wedding or any other special event. They also offer hotel accomdations and is close to down town. Freindly staff. We'll be back again.

Cindy and Jeff Leist