“Food was good, but service left much to be desired”

315 Martinis and Tapas Dinner Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 259 Restaurants in Coeur d'Alene
Cuisines: International
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 3rd and 4th Streets
Description: The "315" is located within the 1908 Historic Greenbriar Inn in downtown Coeur d'Alene, only four blocks from the Lake. We feature a martini bar, wine bar, international food with "small plate" or tapas available during all restaurant hours, as well as a full dinner menu. Outdoor seating and patio/garden seating available. Two fireplaces inside. Catering also available.
Reviewed November 8, 2013

We were visiting friends in the Coeur d'Alene area for a month and tried out several restaurants. As this one was closest to a natural food market that we picked up some groceries from, we stopped in for dinner.

The food was ok, but the service definitely wasn't. It look awhile for someone to even come to our table and even longer for them to take our order. The waiter was distracted by a larger table, and wasn't paying attention to what we were saying - mistakes were inevitable. We left confused about so many other positive reviews. The most I can say was that our experience was average.

We have found this to be a general problem in the area. There are very few restaurants that we would call "great" and many people in this area seen to rate restaurants at great that we'd personally consider "ok" or "average".

Restaurants we would highly recommend include for food and quality of service are Fleur de Sel (Post Falls) and Beverly's (Coeur d'Alene).

There are newer reviews for 315 Martinis and Tapas Dinner Restaurant

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We had purchased a restaurant.com gift certificate (as we have for many restaurants over the years with no negative experiences at all). Not only did they refuse to honor the certificate, we had already ordered when this was communicated to us. The waiter then launched into an explanation as to how restaurant.com had illegally sold those certificates, and the restaurant refused to honor them. Then he went on to say that the restaurant had "tons" of people come with the certificate and they aren't sure how restaurant.com could have done such a thing illegally (I personally don't believe restaurant.com did this without their knowledge). When I asked why they did not have any notification at the entrance if this was such a "huge issue", and why he had not told us sooner (the certificate was on the table, while we ordered a bottle of wine!), there was no real answer given.

It's in very poor taste to make your customers suffer for an issue you have with a 3rd party company while letting them order before telling them they won't honor your certificate. It's in very poor taste to do this in front of your guests too.

The food was average - I definitely can't call it exceptional. It took a long time for service (about 15 mins before someone took our order). The waiter then forgot our appetizer, which we reminded him of when our entrees showed up.

I called restaurant.com who immediately rectified the situation and stated that the relationship was entered into legally and agreed upon by the restaurant owner. All in all, a very, very underwhelming experience.

hospitality9660, Owner at 315 Martinis and Tapas Dinner Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

First of all, the couple was disappointed that they could not use their restaurant.com coupon here. We never authorized any deal with them, and after learning that they had posted a deal, it took about a week to get them to cancel it. In the meantime, we saw several parties coming in with this and asked them to contact restaurant.com to rectify their purchase. We also let them know in advance of any purchase they made here if they made us aware of their coupon. I have a direct quote from the server attending to them, as I believe he was badly misrepresented.
Here are his comments:
"It truly discourages me when people use forums such as Trip Advisor to blow things out of proportion and give false information in order to rectify a less than exceptional experience, but hopefully this recollection will shed some light.

On Saturday night, I greeted the couple at the door and sat them with menus and a wine list. I lit their candle and brought them water. I delivered drinks to another table and then returned to see if the couple was ready for a drink order. The woman was still reviewing the wine menu, so I am genuinely assured they were not waiting 15 minutes for my return. The man ordered bruschetta and our Wildbeary martini; the woman asked for a few more minutes. At this time there was a piece of paper on the table folded three ways to fit in a pocket or wallet; it could have been any of several coupons we have in circulation. I went to the POS to place the order, and the man walked over to cancel his drink order saying they were going to choose a bottle of wine instead. At this point, I stopped what I was doing and forgot to order their appetizer. I brought the wine to the table and by then they had opened the coupon. Before opening the bottle I tried to explain that we had just met with the owner the day before and she told us the coupon in question was invalid. I told them that we had only just begun receiving them earlier that week, thus the meeting. I never said we had "tons of people" coming in with the certificates. They seemed rather distraught, which I understand. And it's a difficult thing, as a server, to have to explain a situation like this when the entire "dining experience" is in your hands, but I did so with as much empathy and apologies that I could offer. To say that I was rude is an insult and is false. Our tables are close together, but they sat by the window near the fireplace which is perhaps our most "secluded" table, so to say that I had to offer this explanation "in front of guests" is also false especially when you add in the noise of the three piece jazz band playing that night. I asked them, before opening the wine, if they were still comfortable dining with us that evening; I didn't know what other word to use since they seemed so uncomfortable. They said yes, wine was poured and their order was taken. When I delivered their entrees, the gentleman inquired about the appetizer; I humbly apologized for forgetting, and in 4 minutes it was on the table. I let them know that they would not be charged for it. I cleared their plates, which were empty; they passed on dessert so I brought them their check. They left a great tip so I am confused about how my service left "a lot to be desired".

Reviewed October 1, 2013

19 of us went for dinner here. Had great service, well looked after. The food, Salmon on a cedar plank and Prime Rib was fantastic. Prime Rib cooked to perfection. The house salad with walnuts and Huckleberry dressing was delicious and different. Also had crab cakes, sooo good.

Great selection of wine.

1  Thank DonCreston
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We were told about this by the place we were staying. Went for an early dinner on Sunday evening. Seated at a table in the front by the fireplace. Jesse B was our server. She did a wonderful job. The shrimp tapas were wonderful. Also had the flank steak tapas and artichoke dip tapas. Had the flowerless chocolate cake for desert. Almost like fudge. Decadent. Had a lovely experience and would not hesitate to recommend.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I wrote a review for this restaurant two years ago. It was my favorite place to eat. Things have changed. Isn't it always like that. Poor service and cool attitudes. I want to be appreciated when I spend my money in a business. I cannot eat an entire order of Ahi. I used to order a half, not cheap then, but worth the taste and satisfaction. Also a half salad. No deal this time!! No halves were being served, period. I was told I could have my salad topped with some Ahi at the cost of $4-6. I said yes and to please put it on the side. "No deal" I was told. I agreed to put it on the top of the salad stating I could remove it myself. The waiter came back with, "that will be $8" which is half an order. Will not put on the side. I just ordered the whole salad, no Ahi. Guess what? The while salad "was" the half salad I used to order. Haha. Now I know why they don't serve half orders any longer. I won't be back.

I am sure it is disappointing to come in and find that our special "deals" have been cut back and the menu changed! We kept analyzing our cost overruns and it kept coming back to our
menu and the large portions and selections.
As food costs have skyrocketed over the past three years, we have modified what we do to provide reasonable value and the best possible ingredients and presentation, not to mention our outstanding venue! Also, the last two years has brought with it a very great upgrade in the quality of our servers.
We've had so many compliments on our changes and upgrades, we'd like to see you come back with a view towards a total "experience" rather than an inexpensive food break. If you do decide to try us again, let me know and I'll see to it that you won't regret your decision! Kris (owner)