“How many mistakes can you make?”
Review of Bistro on Spruce

Bistro on Spruce
Ranked #76 of 256 Restaurants in Coeur d'Alene
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Seattle, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“How many mistakes can you make?”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Let me start by saying, I never write bad reviews. If you can't say something nice say nothing at all was part of my upbringing. Of course if it is important issue, I speak up but hotels, and restaurants do not fit in that category for me so I just write about good ones and give the others a break. However, I have come to rely on trip advisor and I do not want others to have the experience we had tonight.
I first went to the Bistro on Spruce the last time I was in town two years ago. The food was great. Tonight started out with a delicious flatbread with pears, walnuts and figs. It was very good and I thought we were going to have another great meal. My husband ordered the Bistro Beef described as a tenderloin with tempura fried artichoke hearts, sautéed smashed red potatoes, grilled green onion and blue cheese cream. The steak was ordered medium rare. What he was served was a filet so rare it was cold in the middle, three spears of asparagus, three small red potatoes two of which had been smashed but had never seen any oil or butter or salt or pepper and had certainly never been sautéed, and a single green onion so dried up it could not be cut with a steak knife. A little bit of the cheese sauce was on the meat. No tempura artichoke hearts which were a featured part of the dish, and chewy raw steak. The waitress apologized for not telling him that there were no artichoke hearts.
My special of the night was to be a New York steak, with sautéed morel mushrooms, radicchio, mashed potatoes, and a balsamic glaze. I ordered the steak medium. What arrived was a filet, not a New York steak, rare not medium. The sautéed morels were three tiny morels that had been chopped, again never sautéed with any oil or butter or seasonings and they were gritty from not being prepared correctly. Radicchio always has a somewhat bitter flavor, but this charred bitter hunk was inedible. The mashed potatoes had no seasoning and the texture of instant potatoes. There was a small swirl of balsamic reduction on top of the steak.
So basically nothing was as described or ordered, tasteless and cooked incorrectly. My husband ate part of his meal and I sent mine back. At this point someone, maybe the chef, came to the table and said he was sorry and presented us with one creme brulee. He started to walk away and I asked him if he wanted to know what was wrong with our meals. After I explained he again apologized, said something about giving me another meal and walked away. Our nice waitress encouraged me to order something else to make up for it. I ordered some clam linguini with a cream sauce. It was edible but basically clams and linguini with a little half and half poured over it and no flavor. It could hardly be described as a sauce. I was hungry and I ate part of it. When we got the bill, my husband's meal had been removed but I was charged for my steak and linguini. Basically, we paid for our appetizer and two entrees and we were given one free dessert and an apology. One free dessert is hardly a sign of a sincere apology. It would be one thing if the food was just bad, but to describe two meals incorrectly and then serve something else and to offer to give someone a meal to make up for it and then charge them for it, seems pretty inexcusable to me. Customer service like that is even worse than bad food. I would most likely not have written the review if the food had been the only bad thing, but that combined with the poor customer service of the management, chef or whatever ( not the waitress who was very nice ) was the final straw.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Lovetotravel603

Laramie, Wyoming
“Very warm and inviting place to eat”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We ate here based on the reviews from Yelp. I had the Bistro Linguini and Clams. The food was terrific and the service was outstanding. We would absolutely eat here again next time we are through the area.

Visited January 2013
Liberty Lake, Washington
“Great food, even better service!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Celebrated my Grandfather's 90th birthday here yesterday and we all had a very nice time. My wife and I were pleased with the kid's menu, their burgers were delicious and pretty big too. I had the Ahi Tuna and it was excellent! This place is very comfortable with an open setting and the service was outstanding, very friendly and catered to our large group like true professionals The best part though was the cake! My family had made arrangements for a birthday cake and they brought it out after lunch with candles going. It was amazing cake! There were a lot of family members asking what kind of frosting that was or who made it. Overall the staff made this really fun and everyone enjoyed the food too. This was our first time here and we will be back for sure.

• Visited April 2013
Newport, Washington
“Always Wonderful”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Been here several times, a few times for lunch and some for dinner. It is a great! Friendly quick staff, delicious food, comfortable setting. Consistantly wonderful. Great for casual lunch or night out. Nice wine list, life music and a selection of locally sourced food. I enjoy lunch outside during the summer or dinner inside by the fire or in one of the cozy booths during the winter.

• Visited January 2013
Rathdrum, Idaho
“The Best in CDA”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

There are certainly restaurants in CDA, Hayden and Post Falls where you can spend more money, but there is absolutely no place in the region that has better food, provides better service, has an equivalent excellent wine list at reasonable prices, and just provides such an extraordinary level of value. My wife and I are regulars and have been since they opened. In the nine years we've lived in this area we've tried plenty of other places - but nothing compares to Bistro on Spruce.

I have traveled to 116 countries and lived in 20. This remains on my Top 5 list of restaurants world-wide.

• Visited April 2013