“Great room - a few blips in service” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Coeur d'Alene Resort
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Coeur d'Alene
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fraser, MI
“Great room - a few blips in service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2006

My wife and I stayed here for three nights on a business trip in October 2006. We were a little miffed that we had to wait until about 4:30PM to check in (we arrived at the hotel at 2:30PM). We were pleasantly surprised by the deluxe room we had. They had clearly completed upgrades recently and it was one of the most comfortable rooms I have ever stayed in. It included a plasma TV, a living room area with a chair, ottoman and a sofa. I great desk with complimentary internet access. The bathroom was large and the dressing area was located in a separate section outside the toilet and shower room. The room, like most in the hotel, had a good view of the lake.

The only real complaint we had was that our room was not cleaned until after 5:00 pm one day. We left the room in at about 8AM and returned at 3:00PM and wanted to rest after an active day. When the room was not made up - we decided to go out for awhile, assuming it would be made when we returned about 90 minutes later. It wasn't. We called and someone came within 30 minutes to make up the room. The next day, it was made up by noon.

Other than that, everything was great. By the way, we recommend the sea plane tour that's located just outside the hotel. We went for a quick 20 minute tour and it was great fun. At $50 per person we thought the rate was very reasonable.

• Liked — Room size and location
  • Disliked — Late room clean-up
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank Tomatraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2006

CDA Resort
I’m originally from this area, and with my new husband and I getting married so close to Christmas, we thought we’d take a side trip from the family to have a small honeymoon. Growing up, granted I’m from poor rural North Idaho, the CDA Resort was THE place. So I had some expectations for the place, especially after I heard the rate. Now I was coming home after living away for some years, traveling to big cities and great hotels, St Louis, NY, Atlanta, Chicago, so by this time in my life I know what a $200+ night should be. First, we had to wait to get into our room, even though we weren’t early. We sat in the reception and watched people go by, it was entertaining enough.

Once we could finally check in, we did have a nice room. (The view of the lake, the layout of the room) But it seemed so run down and dated. It made me sad at how poor I must’ve been growing up to think this place was THE place. In the morning, we were woken up early by the dog next door. Apparently it’s fine to have upscale resorts accepting dogs, and then have the guests leave him alone for the day! The poor pup was barking his head off, sad because he was left alone. We called management; they assured us that they were trying to contact the owners. They offered us free breakfast at their on-site restaurant Beverly’s. Now, when I was in HS, only 4 years previous to this, we had our Prom dinner at Beverly’s. I remembered it being warm, with upscale atmosphere. Now, in the morning winter light with more worldly eyes, the restaurant was dated, breakfast was average, service was average, cleanliness also, unfortunately, average.

That night my husband and I took a few hours in the spa, which was fantastic! I have spa experience, and all was professional with a great relaxation room. I really value a good relaxation room, this one had the best view I’d seen from the entire resort. They did mess up the service I reserved, which was a mud wrap and a 20 minute massage, which ended up being a 40 minute massage, oops! I didn’t complain, except when they tried to charge me for it and then they quickly and easily corrected my bill.

Surrounding entertainment was slim to none, except for food and wine. That’s where I discovered St Michelle’s Chateaux Riesling, still love it! Nothing too expensive, I can get it in my grocery here in Ohio.

We try not to go up to Idaho without a schedule of activities and just staying with my mom, realizing my experiences have greatly changed my expectations. So, maybe it’s not the CDA Resort’s fault, but the standards of North Idaho are just below the rest of the middle class world.

• Stayed December 2003, traveled as a couple
9 Thank duncunator
Missoula, MT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2006

My wife and I have stayed at the Resort many times and we absolutely love it! The service has always been top notch and the rooms are always clean. The spa is wonderful, as is the view from the rooms. The price is a bit high for someone on a budget, but if you are looking to spend a bit more, this is the place for you.

We love Beverly's very much, though it too is quite spendy. We have never been let down by any of the eating establishments, including room service.

My only complaint is that the fireplace rooms cost so much more when they are the exact room as a normal suite, with a fireplace. I had expected a larger, nicer room for the price increase.

I would highly recommend the Resort to anyone with the extra money, though it isn't the most kid friendly place.

• Liked — Beverly's
  • Disliked — The Price
  • Tips/Secrets — Book way ahead, they fill up fast. Also the off season is way cheaper if you dont mind the cold.
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled as a couple