“5star??? Not this time”

The Coeur d'Alene Resort
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Coeur d'Alene
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 1, 2014

I booked a room over this recent labour day long weekend. When I spoke to the agent from your hotel when booking, I made 2 distinct inquiries. 1:I was bringing my boat, was there a slip for it, she yes, free with your room. 2:is there parking fir my truck and trailer, she also replied yes, it would be $19/day and there was allocated parking for guests with boat trailers. When we arrived no one directed us to the front desk, your valets immediately asked I leave the keys to my vehicle in my truck, not 'welcome to the resort, are you staying with us? Reluctantly I left the keys in the truck, I understand fire codes and moving vehicles.... We then stood on front of what you call a check in desk, which had no que, it was a free for all to whom could get to 1 of your many counters first, when we did finally get to a counter, the lady at the counter was not friendly, I'm sure she was having a bad day, and we just happen to be in her sites to dish it out on, as she asked my name, asked for my credit card, and said "your in room 272 go that way to get to it". I asked about the boat slip and dock location, to which she replied "go see the valets they will look after you.... Ok then ....

We decided to unload the boat, dock it and find parking before going to the room, well that in itself was harder than it should have been, I asked the valet, and he said to go around the building to unload the boat, I asked where do I park? He says that they cannot accommodate trucks and boat trailers. But to park in the FREE PARKING lot next to hotel which was ONLY 2 hr free parking, so I'm paying $19/day not to park at the hotel and another $24 at a lot that allows you to park for 10hrs????? We unloaded the boat tied it to a slip and I made my way into the hotel to advise my boats spot, only to find I was locked on the dock, thank goodness a slip owner showed us where to go and where to dock, which I found out cost me $19/day not FREE as I was told when I booked the room. I went to the front desk and asked to speak to a manager, the lady there said, I can help you, I told her what was going on and her response floored me "we have 3 wedding parties to check in sir, what do you want me to do?? I just asked about parking and docking.... I was so much of an inconvenience to her I asked she just removed the parking charges and I would deal with it later.

One would think after a 7hr drive to a 5 star resort, service would be a bit more classy, and help guests. I apologize I wasn't with the wedding groups I may have gotten better service if I was? Our first day was pretty much a write off.

On the flip side, we had breakfast Sunday morning at Dockside, the staff there were super, friendly and warm. It was the only day we actually were treated like guests, we also had drinks in the evening at Whispers outside lounge, again the service was great.... Not sure why those staff aren't your first face when greeting you.

All in all, sadly disappointed in what was supposed to be a romantic weekend away with my wife from a high end resort. Missed the mark there!!

Other issues to state:

we had a corner entrance to our room, you had to walk into the bathroom, to open the door just to get in and out of our room.

The elevators, holy cow as quick as they opened they were closing before you got half your body in them, I felt terrible fir the senior who was sandwiched by them and took me and another guest to pull em back on him, I informed front desk, nothing was done.

Remotes, loved the black electrical tape for the battery covers...you charge enough, replace them if they are broken. I won't send you the bill for the $5.99 batteries I bought to replace the ones in the tv remote, that ones on me.

Room Tip: Don't bring your boat, no FREE parking or onsite paid parking for boat trailer or truck.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chris L
Doug B, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2014

Thank you for your constructive comments regarding your recent visit to the Resort. I will share your concerns with the respective department managers for their awareness and appropriate corrective action.

Reviewed August 29, 2014

You can skip the first two paragraphs to get to my suggestions in Coeur d'Alene.

I had reservations at the resort for a three day stay in a deluxe room during a convention. When I arrived I found out that someone from the convention had mistakenly asked the resort to cancel the room, which they did. I arrived, no reservation, the hotel was full, no room. Eventually I was sent to a motel on the highway for the first night and was able to move in the second two nights, but lost a day of my trip.

Here's why one star. No one took responsibility, no one said they were sorry, there was no attempt to make amends. I asked how if I made a reservation guaranteed to my credit card, how could someone else could cancel it. Answer: I don't know, it wasn't my fault. I asked if there was a cancellation number; answer no. I asked since their policy was to send a cancellation email, was it sent; answer no, but that's not my fault.

Yes the resort is beautiful, but you cannot do this and be a deluxe resort.

As far a Coeur d'Alene goes, it's a cute tourist resort town. If you leave the tourist area there are some great little local, inexpensive restaurants (especially the Garnet Cafe). The guitarist and the food in the lounge at Beverly's (in the resort) is worth a special trip (absolutely wonderful evening, plan to stay and enjoy this for awhile). Crafted in town is a great brew pub.

Room Tip: The two level rooms, lakeside in the tower are expensive, but worth the money.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank art89
Doug B, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2014

Thank you for your constructive comments. We regret the inconvenience you experienced as it is not typical of the service that we endeavor to provide to our Guests. I will share your notes with our staff for their awareness and appropriate corrective action.

Reviewed August 28, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the CDA Resort for a conference/Golf event. What a classy place! You can't beat the lake and marina that surround the hotel. We enjoyed walking on the boardwalk and watching all the activities going on. Our room was spacious and inviting and the bed was super-comfortable. You are just steps from a quaint "main street" with all sorts of shops and restaurants. The outdoor pool was awesome! We loved taking the Water Taxi out to the pool and enjoyed a few hours lounging in the sun. Refreshing and relaxing, we enjoyed ourselves immensely.

Room Tip: Try to get the "Lake-View" it's worth it.
1  Thank Heidi B

Thank you for your recent visit to the Resort. We appreciate your kind comments regarding your stay.

Reviewed August 26, 2014

We have stayed at the Coeur d'Alene Resort several times in the last ten summers and have always felt it doesn't live up to its reputation. This summer's visit--for a convention, as usual--was a very nice surprise. We found the staff much more friendly and helpful, and the hotel was cleaner than in the past. The best part was we were, for the first time, allowed to check into our room upon arrival at 3 p.m. Always before we were made to wait until 4 p.m. or later, which makes it difficult when you have been traveling all day and have to be ready for a 5 p.m. reception. The grounds of the hotel are well-maintained with lovely red geraniums, and the views from the lakeside rooms are beautiful. It is walkable to downtown Coeur d'Alene, replete with fun shops and pubs.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, choose a lakeside tower room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business

Welcome Back! Thank you for your kind review of the Resort and we look forward to your future return visits.

Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

My wife gave me a birthday present of 3 days at the resort. Being retired from the hotel business I found this property to be first class. Staff is very helpful, restaurants, especially Beverly's, to be excellent, and the grounds impeccable. I also utilized the spa for a message and haircut which was outstanding.
This property is among the finest resorts and is well worth the visit, but only one problem exists, and that is how my wife will top this next year.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for spending your birthday at the Resort. We appreciate your kind comments regarding your visit.

Reviewed August 21, 2014

This resort has the perfect location in this lovely area -- on the lake, with on-site marina and nearby parks with great areas for walking and jogging, and right in downtown for strolling, shopping, and dining. Our tower room, facing south over the lake, had a beautiful view, AND a balcony, a fireplace, sitting area, king bed, huge bath area with double sinks, tub and separate tiled shower. Fabulous! The lobby level has nice areas for gathering with friends, indoor bar and outside terrace overlooking the marina. Breakfast in the restaurant, Dockside, was great. All staff were courteous and efficient. We recommend the golf course for a unique experience, including the famous floating green on the hole #14. If you don't golf, definitely take the complimentary water taxi from the resort around to the golf complex either for lunch or some time at the pool or beach. Several charges on our statement were not ours, but Sarah at the front desk was happy to remove these and the issue was resolved quickly. Great stay. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: The lake view can't be beat, but the town is lovely with mountains beyond, so I can't imagin...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Doug B, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2014

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your visit to the Resort. We look forward to your return sometime soon.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

The hotel was beautiful. We were on the 3rd floor and had a beautiful view of the lake. The room would have been very comfortable had there been less people in the room. The staff was very nice and helpful. A down side was some of the blankets had holes in them and so did some of the sheets. The pocket door to the bathroom was difficult to open and close as well as lock. The king size bed was comfortable but the pull out was not so nice. You could feel each spring in their sad flat mattress. We enjoyed the amenities, I think my kids had a blast on the boat ride to the outdoor pool.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Doug B, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2014

Thank you for your recent visit to the Resort with your family. I will share your notes with our housekeeping manager concerning the bed linens and sofa bed. We really appreciate your kind comments regarding your stay.