“Fabulous Lakeview Room and Equally Fabulous Service”

The Coeur d'Alene Resort
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Coeur d'Alene
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 30, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a three day educational seminar. We were picked up at Spokane Airport by the resort's van service. The driver (Bob) was extremely friendly and courteous and gave us some background on the City of Coeur d'Alene.

When we got to the hotel, the front desk person (Amy) greeted us warmly and gave us a room on the 17th floor. What we didn't know at the time is that she had upgraded us from the most basic room without a view, the one we had reserved through the organization sponsoring our seminar, to a premier lakeview room with a fireplace. When we walked into the room, it was so nice that we were sure the front desk had made an error. We called the front desk to make sure we hadn't been placed in the wrong room. Amy informed us that it was hotel policy to upgrade guests if the more expensive rooms were available and unreserved at the time. That means we got the best room type at the resort for the price of a basic room!! That's what a call a generous policy!

The room was beautiful with a sunken living room with a sofa and upholstered chair, coffee table, work desk and chair, gas fireplace, and a door that opened to a small, private balcony with two Adirondack chairs and a small table overlooking the lake and marina. The highlight of the room was a huge floor to ceiling window with a spectacular view of Lake Coeur d'Alene, the surrounding mountains, and the resort marina.

Other features included well-stocked mini-bar, two cotton robes, two granite sinks, two very comfortable double beds, a flat screen tv that could be adjusted to be viewed from the beds or from the sunken living room area, and a large bathroom with a European style shower area and separate bathtub. The shower had an oversized shower head with excellent water pressure.

We had two meals at the resort's Dockside restaurant, which is the more casual, family-style restaurant on the ground floor. Both meals were very satisfying. Be sure to try the Copper River Salmon, if it is available, and save room for the Mac Daddy Cocunut Cake. The Dockside staff were super friendly, just like everyone else at the resort. There is a fancier restaurant--Beverly's-- on the 7th floor, but we didn't try that one. We also didn't have the chance to try any of the spa amenities, unfortunately. I'm sure they're wonderful, too.

All in all, this was probably the best hotel experience I've had anywhere. I would recommend it to anyone and would definitely return here again.

1  Thank asl492
coopere007, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2011

Thank you for letting us know about your stay. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, and hope you can make it back up here in the future.

Reviewed May 27, 2011

Beautiful resort with wonderful staff. Everyone is very friendly and professional. The views are amazing in the lakeview rooms. I can't say enough about the food at Beverly's and Tito's. Highly recommend dining at these restaurants. And the spa is amazing as well.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business

We are very happy that you enjoyed your time here, and hope that you can make it back to North Idaho soon.

Reviewed May 25, 2011

The Coeur d'Alene Resort is in a beautiful spot on Lake Coeur d'Alene. The grounds and golf course are beautfully kept. We used the resort transportation to and from the airport. The van was luxurious and the transportation staff was very friendly. The hotel is the "place" in Coeur d'Alene and was very busy with many business conferences going on as well as many vacation goers. Upon entering the main lobby you will immediately think that you were back in the 1980s (when the hotel was built). It's clean but really dated. Registration was at the rear of the hotel and a long walk from the front door. There are two towers in the hotel that utilize separate elevators. I couldn't find a sign anywhere in the lobby indicating the location of the elevators and which tower they went to. After wandering down a dark hallway I finally found my elevator. The front desk staff did not offer any assistance to the directions to my room. The room was on the 6th floor and had an obstructed lake view. There was a big beam that went across the top portion of my window. The only way I could see the lake was by sitting in a low chair. The hotel is really showing it's age. One wall was all mirrors and the furnishings were from the 1980s. The bathroom looked like they did a remodel and it had a great shower. The room was quiet and I couldn't hear my neighbors.

The one thing that was a real letdown for me was the friendliness of the staff in the hotel. There was a lot of staff walking about with eyes down to the floor and no smiles. Several times I was overrun by staff as they hurried off to whatever they needed to do. For a resort of this caliber I would have expected better service.

I visit the Spokane area usually 3-5 times a year for business. I was at Coeur d'Alene for a conference, but I usually stay in Spokane at The Davenport Hotel. I wish I'd just stayed there and made the 30 minute drive out to Coeur d'Alene. I guess I've become spoiled at The Davenport. If in the Spokane area use The Davenport as your base. Better rooms, better restaurants, better lounges, and much better service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the upper floors (8+).
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay, and also for the constructive criticism. I have shared you comments with with our management team so we can address some of the issues you have brought up (especially our staff not engaging our guests enough). We are considering updating both the lobby and whispers this following off season, but that is not finalized yet. We hope that in the future you will consider staying with us in the future. Our Premier Fireplace rooms might be a better fit in the future if you would like a great view on a high floor.

Reviewed May 24, 2011

From our arrival until our departure we experienced wonderful staff. The welcoming and knowledgable staff made us feel very welcome and were always concerned with our comfort. The facilities were beautiful. The shops within the resort were charming and friendly. Our room was wonderful, spacious and delightful. The view was magnificent. We enjoyed swimming in the pool and sitting in the hot tub where we still had a view of the marina. The location was quite convenient as we could walk to many shop and restaurants yet it was still near the freeway for easy access to other attractions. I will recommend The Couer d'Alene to everyone I know travelling to that area.

Room Tip: which rooms have a view?
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for the kind words. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, and hope you have the chance to come back again.

Reviewed May 19, 2011

This is the second time we have stayed at The Coeur d' Alene. The rooms are so beautiful with such wonderful views. We at The Beach House and The Dockside. Both meals were and service were excellent.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

We are very happy that you came back to stay with us, and glad you enjoyed Dockside and the Beachouse. We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed May 19, 2011

We have been very fortunate to stay in the some of the best hotels across the United States. My wife and I feel that any stay at the Coeur d'Alene Resort will always be the very best in comfort, luxury, view and service and our recent stay in the Jaeger Suite was off the charts! Paul and Sherry Wulff

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
coopere007, Manager at The Coeur d'Alene Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2011

Coach, we are very happy you could make the short trip from Pullman up to Coeur d'Alene to stay with us, and glad you and your wife enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Go Cougs

Reviewed May 16, 2011

We stayed at the Coeur d’Alene Resort in a premier lakeview room with a fireplace. The view was spectacular, although our balcony was on the small side, and we really enjoyed the sunken living room with the chaise style couch. The bed was fairly comfortable. A helpful hint for the shower is to let it run for five minutes to let the water heat up.

In terms of room amenities, they will clear the mini bar for ten dollars, so we stocked it with our own snacks and beverages. Coffee is included as is basic internet. Room service was prompt and excellent: we left for breakfast and they were cleaning our room when we returned. The fireplace was nice but didn’t generate a lot of heat.

As for the resort, the gym and pool were nice. We had drinks one night at Whispers in the lobby and enjoyed it. Breakfast and coffee at Starbucks is what one would expect. Dinner at Bonsai Bistro was excellent; the sushi was subpar but the other dishes were very good. We also ate at Beverly’s, which had a lovely view, but the food wasn’t as good as we would have expected. I spent a significant amount of time at the spa and it was by far one of the best spa experiences I have ever had.

We really enjoyed the town and area itself. On the drive in from Spokane, we stopped at Arbor Crest Wine Cellars: I would highly recommend that experience. We had breakfast at the Iron Horse which was fabulous. Also, we went to the Coeur d’alene Cellars wine tasting room; it was in an odd location and a bit unusual. We then went to Barrel Room #6 in downtown Coeur d’Alene which is owned by the CDA cellars: that was a fabulous experience as we had soup, sandwiches, cheese plate, and of course wine. We would recommend Barrel Room #6 over the CDA Cellars facility.

If I were going to Coeur d'Alene again, I would definitely stay at the CDA resort again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the comments you have provided, and letting us know about your experience in our restaurants. We would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations. There is one Premier Fireplace room with a larger balcony, room 1760. Please feel free to request it the next time you make a reservation. We also are in the process of building a new pool over at our golf course. It should be wrapped up by the end of June. We hope that you are able to make back here some time.