“Coeur d' Alene Resort a fantastic experience”

The Coeur d'Alene Resort
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Coeur d'Alene
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 28, 2007

For the past two years in September, two friends, my brother, and myself travel to Coeur d' Alene for a weekend of golf and fun. Again this year, as last, we had a fantastic weekend. The Resort is beautiful. The food and service is excellent. The rooms are large, overlook the lake, and have a fireplace, flat screen, siiting area and very comfortable beds. The Golf course is second to none. This Resort is first class from top to bottom. I highly recommend the Coeur d' Alene Golf & Spa Resort. I'm looking forward to next year.

• Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank RDP51
Write a ReviewReviews (1,698)

Reviewed October 8, 2007

One thing about this resort is the location, facilities, and staff. From the time you arrive until you leave. The SPA is the most relaxing I have been to. When it comes to dining you will find the food looks as good as it tastes. Breakfast, lunch or dinner.
It is a stay you will remember.

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank yakimatraveler
Reviewed September 29, 2007

This resort is very expensive if you want to have a view of the lake. We had a patial view and still paid through the nose. The entire staff was very nice and we had no problems. Most everyone here is looking for a tip. Played golf at the course and it was a very nice experiance. The floating 14th green and the boat ride over were great. My wife had little to do while I was golfing as the shopping associated with the resort is priced out of this world. You will have the choice of paying $15 a day for parking or using the valet service (another tip). Everything at the resort is expensive.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank San_jose_guy
Reviewed September 5, 2007

I feel compelled to write a review of my recent stay at this resort as I use TA when planning my vacations and sometimes find it hard to judge a property especially when there are conflicting reviews. So here's my take..

We live in the area and spend much of our summers in Coeur d'Alene. We typically try to stay at the resort once per year for a birthday or other celebration.

The Coeur d'Alene Resort is the only resort situated on the water in Coeur d'Alene and also in the center of the town. Lakefront rooms are costly however the hotel is typically booked solid and is, in my opinion, simply the best hotel choice for those wanting to stay at a resort on the lake. While waiting to check in I listened to two customers who walked in trying to get a room only to be turned away because the resort had no rooms. The front desk staff did call other hotels in the area to help them out. My guess is that if this hotel really was so subpar as some claim, word would eventually get out and there would be pleanty of rooms available.

In the past I have stayed in the orginal section of the hotel in a room overlooking the pool and found it to be very pleasing. That particular room did not have a balcony but did offer a view of lake and pool. Those rooms are also quite a bit less in cost. All fine resorts have some rooms that are more affordable with a view of a parking lot... or in a less desireable part of the hotel and are also priced accordingly. Since we only stay at this resort occasionally we usually book well in advance and spend the extra for a better room.

This time we stayed in a suite just prior to labor day to celebrate a special occasion. The rooms have undergone renovation within the last year or two and decor is not dated.

Check in: Our room was not ready and we had to wait some time. Brad at the front desk was very nice, professional and appologetic which made our wait much more tolerable. We were waiting for a specific room and the previous guests were late to check out. From my experience most resorts charge an additional day if a guest leaves late but evidently not the case here. I guess the bonus for us was that we also asked for a late check out and this was granted. We frequently travel and not everything goes off without a hitch even at five star resorts.

Room - well the room we stayed in was a 6 star resort room but I have stayed in other rooms at this resort and felt they were very nice - four star with a five star view.

Service - was excellent, late check in aside.

We enjoy splurging on our stays every now and then and this was one of those. We were not disappointed. The suite we stayed in was on the 18th (top) floor. It had a seperate bedroom with it's own balcony, vaulted ceilings, fireplace that was veiwable from every room in the suite, two bathrooms, bar, two dining areas (one outside and one inside), TV room and very large living room with incredible views of the lake.

The master bathroom was a hit. Television built into the mirror, dressing room, excellent shower & bath, warming drawers and a toilet that well... does everyting. When opening the bathroom door the toilet lid automatically opens and seat is warmed. Then of course it will do just about anything else including a dry cycle. One warning about splurging on this type of room - it will make subsequent stays in more basic rooms less palatable.

CDA is not a town that many expect to have to pay top dollar for a room but such is the case when you are talking lake front. Guests are willing, and do pay for the rooms at this hotel (Of course I wish they were not because this would obviously decrease the cost).

When I am willing to pay more for a hotel room on vacation then I book a better room or suite or pay for the upgrade if available. When I don't then a garden view... is what I pay for and I realize that my room will be different. I think most of us would love to book the least expensive room and be upgraded to an "ocean or lake front unit" but in reality this just does not happen, at least to me.

There are other hotels in the city, some very nice but they are not resorts on the water. If this resort is in your budget, you are willing to pay and you are staying in CDA it is currently the only choice for "on the lake" upscale resorts unless you prefer to rent a cabin. The new spa, golf, location, marina, town and beach... are all part if the allure. Our kids went parasailing and had a blast. This is avail just outside the hotel.

Candid traveler pictures of all types of rooms are abundant. Take a look at them and be the judge. I would hate for someone to check into their city view room and be dissapointed that it did not resemble the pictures posted in this review so I want to clairify that these pictures are of a suite, which is much higher priced. Only a few suites are even available, also typical of most resorts. The other types of rooms are also very nice. I guess it just depends on what you want to spend.

Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank kimspokane
Reviewed August 26, 2007

Beautiful view of the lake, very nice hotel. Good restaurants, nice rooms. Baths need more places to hang towels and robes. No hooks at all. No turn down service - questionable for higher end price hotel. Check-in and concierge service very friendly and efficient. Outstanding golf course - gorgeous scenic views, several beautiful holes on the lake, course in excellent shape, very challenging for all classes of golfer depending upon choice of tees. Island green is the feature but the rest of the course is very attractive, interesting and lots of variety. Fore-caddies are required and necessary -- they are worth it since they run (not trot) ahead to the landing spots, run to locate the ball, give exact lazer distance to bunkers, greens and pins, etc. First class golf experience!

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank golfer246
Reviewed August 21, 2007

As you'll see in other reviews, the hotel is actually two hotels -- one with four-star rooms overlooking the lake which are very high priced and then the dungeon cells. What it appears they did was buy the local 3 story no-tell motel and then built a luxury resort around the building. It's very deceptive and the dungeon cells REALLY are that bad. Here's the full story:

We booked a "Family Suite" for a five day stay as I was speaking at a conference at the resort. When we arrived we were directed to what looked like an old service elevator which fit two people with their suitcases. When you arrive on your floor there are no signs as to where your room is -- I really thought we were in the service section of the hotel. Finally we located our room and as I walked through the door I had that sinking feeling that we'd been screwed. I promptly called the front desk and told them the room was unacceptable as it was dark, musty, cramped, ugly and not what we had booked. I was informed that the hotel was booked and that we could move rooms the next day. I'm not exaggerating when I say the room was horrid. In the middle of the night my son went to the bathroom and we were all awakened to a huge crash. When I got up to investigate I found that the ceiling ventilation grill in the bathroom which weighs about ten pounds had fallen when my son closed the bathroom door and narrowly missed his head. The rest of the night was near sleepless due to the jet engine like sound of the antique ventilation system.

The next morning I went down to the front desk and talked to a very sweet gal who completely understood the situation. She told me that the staff was not allowed to discuss the old section of the hotel but off the record, the management knew about the problem but had chosen to do nothing about it.

We upgraded to a wonderful room overlooking the lake but at five times the price. Yes, it was that expensive but I wasn't going to stay in a dungeon cell with my kids and what could I do as we had to stay for four more nights due to the conference.

Totally unacceptable. This place should be shut down until they stop screwing over guests with the bait and switch.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
16  Thank KellyJones34
Reviewed August 15, 2007

We planned a family getaway for my husband's 40th birthday to this resort that came highly recommended by a friend of ours. We were eagerly awaiting our beautiful room (as shown on the website) but instead was put in a room apparently in the main building (not the "tower" you see in the photos) that was comparable to a Motel 6 - for $269.00 per night! Additionally I had paid and made arrangements in advance to have a surprise birthday cake in the room upon arrival with balloons and they set it up in the wrong room. Also, the room had not been cleaned yet so a housekeeper was sent over to clean our bathroom while we were unpacking in the room. We had a good view of the lake but please be sure you are booking in one of the rooms in the newer tower are and not the old building where the lobby is located!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family