“Perfection + Gracious Hospitality = The McFarland Inn”

McFarland Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 10 Coeur d'Alene B&B and Inns
Columbus, North Carolina
“Perfection + Gracious Hospitality = The McFarland Inn”
Reviewed December 7, 2006

Where do I begin?!
For my birthday weekend, I decided to stray from the traditional partying and chose to visit the Spokane/Coeur d'Alene area. After seeing some excellent reviews for the McFarland Inn, I decided to treat myself to a night at this charming, beautiful home. I couldnt have made a better selection.

When I arrived, I was given the grand tour by Nancy, who pointed out various functions and amenities of her clean, beautiful B&B. From the beginning, I felt warmed by the sight of a few well-decorated Christmas trees and welcomed by the elements of relaxation and comfort that seemed to be present in every room of the house.

While I was at the McFarland, I soaked in the inviting hot tub
and read a book in the family room next to a cozy fire. Later, I chose a selection from the excellent DVD library and watched it in my room, totally snuggled under the down comforter with a cup of wonderful hot chocolate. If that wasnt enough, Nancy had provided what proved to be an excellent suggestion for my celebratory birthday dinner and I spent a pleasant evening at The Wine Cellar and roaming through the galleries and shops of picturesque Coeur d'Alene.

In the morning, after specifying what time I wanted to wake up, Nancy had a tray with hot chocolate and marshmallows waiting outside my door. Breakfast, served in the cozy dining room, included a quiche, bacon, and a delicious croissant with Nancy's own homemade Huckleberry jam. When Nancy asked if I would like company during my meal, I found myself enjoying the conversation of someone who seemed to delight in opening her home to others.

A great room, a great meal, snacks, plenty of amenities and a gracious and pleasant innkeeper! What more could you ask for?! All I know is that I feel sorry for my next B&B...it will have to live up to the level of perfection that I encountered at the McFarland Inn!!

• Liked — cleanliness, comfort, hospitality, hot tub, snacks, bedding, location, dvd collection, you name it!
  • Disliked — I can honestly say--absolutely nothing--it was perfect.
  • Tips/Secrets — When Nancy recommends a restaurant or an attraction, heed the advice!!!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank roadtripphene

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
texas
Reviewed October 25, 2006

this b&b is absolutely wonderful! the hostess was warm and personable - the food was incredible! the b&b was very nicely furnished! my stay in coeur d'alene was extra special thanks to nancy (the owner/hostess!).

• Stayed October 2006
Caldwell, Idaho
Reviewed October 14, 2006

Recently I took my wife to Coeur d'Alene for our 15th anniversary weekend. I saw on The McFarland Inn website that the owner would provide some champagne and roses for anniversary guests and that special touch convinced me to book a room. Our experience was everything we expected, and more. The owner Nancy provided top of the line service. We had our beds turned down at night with chocolates on the pillow. When we came in from our anniversary dinner at the Resort, a tray with champagne, glasses, chocolates and a rose was waiting for us in our room. The atmosphere of the rooms and indeed the entire house is gracious and welcoming. This is without a doubt the nicest B and B we have encountered in Idaho, and we plan to return.

• Liked — The service
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Palamino
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 11, 2006

Staying at the McFarland was a wonderful, relaxing experience. The house is just beautiful, and my room, The Sherman Room, was so serene and peaceful that I slept better than I have slept in ages. The lovely bathroom has a claw foot tub, and I loved having a long, relaxing bath.
The hostess, Nancy Harper, was so helpful with suggestions of sights to see and places to eat. She had discount tickets for a Lake Coeur d'Alene evening cruise, which was beautiful.
In the morning, she served a gourmet breakfast that was delicious. She offers several options for the time you want to eat, and she also asks if there are foods you cannot eat. I saw her adjust her menu for someone who was allergic to wheat. Visiting with the other guests in the dining sun room was so much fun. I met people from several different states. Nancy made everyone feel welcome and sat down with us to visit while we lingered over coffee.
I felt welcome and pampered and have warm memories of my visit. I certainly recommend it for anyone planning a visit to Coeur d'Alene who would like to relax and be pampered in beautiful surroundings.

Stayed August 2006
2 Thank Carolina_Dawn
Edmonds, WA
Reviewed October 8, 2006

We stayed at the McFarland Inn for one night. The location and the furnishings are great, above average in my estimation. The owner comes across as business-like if you are feeling charitable, curt and abrupt if not. I think she has control issues, which interfere with making you feel welcome.

• Liked — The location and house itself
  • Disliked — The interaction with the owner
  • Tips/Secrets — OK to stay there if you don't take offense easily
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank trogon123
Spokane Wa
Reviewed September 27, 2006

I am the bride who had the wedding at the McFarland Inn on September. The other two reviews were done by people in my wedding party or coming to the wedding. To clear something up we did not stay at the Inn, we were only there for 2 hours. In my pre wedding dealings with the Inn Keeper Nancy she was very pleasant and professional. I just think she needs to work on loosening up. We are responsible adults either over the age of 30 or nearing that age. Nobody in my wedding party or the small amount of guests had any intention of wrecking her beautiful inn. And the whole time we were there we felt watched and as if we were being suspected of plotting to ruin something. As said before she seemed to be a stickler on time issues - we were coming from Spokane Wa and can't time the trip to arrive perfectly on time so we wanted to make sure we were a little early as we only had an hour to get ready before the ceremony. She seemed put out that we arrived mere minutes early. On the positive side I had a beautiful wedding and a day I will never forget and Nancy made part of that possible for me. It is a great setting for a Wedding; the back yard is perfect for pictures. We had our reception somewhere else so I can't comment on that aspect of it. In my dealings with other B&B's the Inn Keepers have just been a bit more trusting and less abrasive. I think that this place would be a perfect setting for older adults to stay, however, if you have a family or are a 20 to 30 something adult you may want to pick another establishment.2

Stayed September 2006
7 Thank KyrieLee
Anacortes, Wa.
Reviewed September 20, 2006

This inn was a gem! Every detail was thought out carefully. Nancy, the owner, was pleasant and thoughtful. I agree with another comment on this website, that any negative comments should be minimized. Stress from an individual can very easily be misunderstood. Maybe Nancy was nervous also about the wedding party staying there. My husband and I had an excellent 1st class experience at the McFarland Inn. Nancy gave us maps of the area, recommended restaurants( which were excellent), provided bikes for exploring, unbelivably gourmet breakfasts, and extremly comfortable accomodations. We would return here in a heartbeat. Thanks, Nancy

• Liked — The 1st class details provided by the owner
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple