“wonderful, comfortable inn”

Ranked #3 of 10 Coeur d'Alene B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“wonderful, comfortable inn”
Reviewed August 21, 2009

My husband and I stopped by here for a one night stay on our way to Banff, Canada. We stayed in the Sherman room (I believe, it was the one with king size bed). We had a restful sleep in our very comfortable bed. Nancy the inn keeper was quite organized and wanted to know what time we wanted to eat our breakfast. By 9:00 AM sharply, we were served berry french toast and poached peaches which were delicious!! Considering that we are from Portland, Oregon and picky about our cup of joe, the McFarland blend was pleasantly quite good.
Regarding the reviews about the inn keeper, Nancy, I agree that she is not the most fuzzy and warm host out there. However, she runs the inn with precision and as long as you follow the information in her guest book which is provided in the room, you should have no problems at all. She was most accomodating and helpful when we needed some items faxed back to us. As far as bed and breakfast goes, this is one of the best ones we have stayed at. We have stayed in quite a few bed and breakfast places in the Northwest. My suggestion is that if you feel like you need to tip toe around because of the inn keeper, you should not stay at any bed and breakfast places. You are better off staying in a hotel. However, if you want to stay in comfortable, homey feeling place, I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank enjoytravel_8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Valparaiso, Indiana
Reviewed March 3, 2009

We were traveling to Whitefish, MT from Spokane and this was the perfect stop along the way! Nancy, the Innkeeper, was very gracious and hospitable. The room we stayed in was so comfortable, and the breakfast was superior. The Inn is within walking distance to the Lake, as well as, restaurants and shopping in downtown Coeur d'Alene. I would highly recommend this wonderful B & B.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Valpocutie
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 16, 2008

We stayed in the Sherman Room for two nights in September at a rate of $150 per night before taxes.

Pros: the large, beautiful room had its own bathroom, both of which were sparklingly clean; the linens, towels, toiletry items, and furnishings were all top of the line; complimentary video/dvd collection available to watch in-room or in the common area; complimentary snacks and drinks available, including treats and water in the room; delicious and filling breakfasts served on the screen porch; help from Nancy with dinner recommendations and menu research; a short walk from the inn to the heart of downtown; complimentary mountain bikes which were in excellent condition and included helmets and locks--we took Nancy's suggestion and rode the Centennial Trail, which takes you through the darling town and along the beautiful lakefront.

Cons: hallway traffic of other guests entering/leaving their rooms and in and out of the hallway bathroom woke me both mornings--I should have used earplugs or requested a room on the first floor; the hot tub wasn't available the first night and the second night we tried it, but the water temperature was at 91F when we got in, so it felt more like a lukewarm bath; Internet access was temporarily down while we were there.

Other TripAdvisor reviewers have commented on Nancy's personality, and I have to admit, we weren't quite sure what to expect. Our assessment is that Nancy is a person who works on a system of policies and rules. Once she has explained how she runs her inn, you are free to explore and use the amenities she offers, and you shouldn't feel intimidated or that you are putting her out by asking for something.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank ght0314
nharp1, Owner at McFarland Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 24, 2011
I would like to thank the reviewer for his/her comments. I would like to address the "cons" part of the review. Unfortunately, the hot tub was not available their first night because the day before it was left in a state that was not fit for use. I needed to drain, clean and refill it. It took much longer to reheat than I anticipated so these guests were unable to use it at the desired temperature. Guests have access to all the hot tub controls and this issue is rare. I am so sorry this happened.
Since this review, new internet equipment has been installed which greatly reduces the possibility of the internet going down. The signal is also more powerful now so good access is available throughout the house and in all the guest rooms.
Baltimore
Reviewed September 9, 2008

As others have said, the Inn is very well kept, the room we stayed in was great, the breakfast was very good and the eggs included fresh squash from the garden.

We were there for just one night on a road trip from Bigfork, Montana to Seattle, Washington.

The innkeeper, Nancy, asked what we planned to do in town, give us a map and directions and showed us the menu of the restaurant where we planned to have dinner. In the morning she made an excellent breakfast and spent over a hour having a pleasant conversation with us while we ate it.

We enjoyed our stay and found Nancy to be a very hospitable hostess... and we think telling the hostess what time you want to have breakfast is logical - She wants the coffee to be fresh brewed and the food right.................. Gary

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank G12321
Pineville, La
Reviewed July 29, 2008

My wife and I have just returned from our third stay at the McFarland Inn in Coeur d' Alene. This stay, as were the previous two, was a very satisfactory experience. We've had a different room each time, and liked them all. The service is good and the hostess, Nancy, is gracious and accommodating.
I like a good breakfast, so I am especially appreciative of the breakfasts prepared by Nancy. I've eaten in the restaurants of five star hotels, and her's are the best I've had. Breakfasts are served between 8:00 and 9:30, and the first time we stayed at the Inn I was a bit taken aback when Nancy wanted us to give her a time within that period. However, we did so, and the next morning I realized why. For the most part, Nancy cooks each breakfast separately, so that what should be hot is hot, and what should be cold is cold. And it is all delicious. I have never had even a mediocre breakfast there. She also has a special blend of coffee that is very good.
I mostly stay in hotels when I travel, so I have to make an adjustment when my wife takes me to a B & B. It's a totally different experience, and problably not for everyone. Children under twelve are not allowed, but that's okay with me. I like children, especially mine, but sometimes it's nice to have an adults only experience.
I'm not easy to please, but I have no hesitaion in recommending the McFarland Inn.

• Liked — The atmosphere,the service, and the food.
  • Disliked — climbing the stairs
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hard2pleasetraveler
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed July 12, 2008

I wanted to give it a full year before I wrote my review of the McFarland. I felt maybe, I hadn't been to many B&B's so my opinion would be skewed...NOT the case. Since our stay I can safely say, with the MOST confidence---Nancy needs to find another calling. Perhaps, a drill Sgt??!
I grew up in CdA and then moved to Alaska. We came back to town for a week long wedding and decided rather than bugging my parents or staying in a Motel we (my boyfriend) and I would try a B&B. I've admired the in for many years, because I lived a mere 4 blocks away growing up. First off, my BOYFRIEND and I had to fake our engagement. When I called to make the reservation...Nancy seemed put off that we were not married so I quickly covered with "oh, well we...ummm are getting married soon!" that seemed to quiet the beast. Upon arriving everything was great...the room, overall style or the inn was totally retro which was just what we wanted. WOW- cut to the MANDITORY breakfast at 8 am sharp!!!! Did I mention she practically knocks on your door to get you down in time for breakfast...she made a huge deal when we slept in (once) and failed to inform her of our plans. I know...the down right audacity we have to sleep-in on our vacation!
Just forget trying to have anyone come see you at the Inn either. My sister came by to drop something off, Nancy pretty much scolded her for knocking on the door. We tip-toed around the house as to not irritate the Dragon Beast, for the most part we hid in our room whenever could. We spent good money to stay at her Inn (over $1000) for 6 days and we left town for one night during the middle of our stay. The Inn by itself is wonderful, beautiful, historic, and classy. The Inn Keeper (Nancy) ruins it. I really think she needs to get some help with running it. Someone to be her PR rep and do all the guest interactions. She is too stiff, curt and rude to deal with the public. Inn keeping is a service oriented job, the public has a right to have great service whether they are married or not, gay, strait, have pink-blue-red-yellow hair, or are not 45 yrs old. If I wanted to stay with my snotty stuck-up Aunt I would have. Save yourself the grief and check-in at the CdA Resort...at least they have a spa there.

Stacey O-Anchorage, AK
staceyrcks1@yahoo.com

• Liked — The Inn was beautiful and a Retro Gem!
  • Disliked — The Inn-Keeper Nancy...a Dragon Lady for sure.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Staceyrcks1
I appreciate all comments from my guests. I will address a few issues.

I would like to start out by saying that The McFarland Inn has never asked or required that guests be married. I welcome all singles and couples no matter their age or situation. The only way I know if someone is married is if they tell me. I am surprised but very sorry these guests got this impression and that they were uncomfortable because of that. It has also never been my practice to require guests to come to breakfast. I must have said something to them to make them feel that way and, again, I apologize for that. Guests sign up for an approximate breakfast time but if they change their mind or sleep in, this is not a problem.

The McFarland Inn has a "friends and family' special. If guests are visiting Coeur d'Alene because they have family members here or are attending a wedding, a 10 percent discount is available. Also, friends are welcome to join guests for breakfast, relax before they go to dinner or just hang out.

I continue to do everything I can to make my guests feel this is their home away from home. I appreciate feedback that helps me improve upon that.
scottsdale
Reviewed May 31, 2007

This is a very nice B&B. The two rooms I'm familiar with, McFarland and Coeur d'Alene are spacious. If noise bothers you then book the room on the second floor. The McFarland is next to the kitchen. It did not disturb me but there was some occasional noise during the waking hours.
The owner, Nancy, is a wonderful host. She is very customer oriented and an interesting person. The breakfasts were delicious and she was very helpful planning our activities and our dinners.
The bathroom towels were lush; the quality you find in the Four Seasons hotels. The experience in the B&B and the beauty of the area should result in a good time. If it doesn't, it's your fault!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple