“Great place to stay!”

McFarland Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 10 Coeur d'Alene B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 29, 2008

My wife and I have just returned from our third stay at the McFarland Inn in Coeur d' Alene. This stay, as were the previous two, was a very satisfactory experience. We've had a different room each time, and liked them all. The service is good and the hostess, Nancy, is gracious and accommodating.
I like a good breakfast, so I am especially appreciative of the breakfasts prepared by Nancy. I've eaten in the restaurants of five star hotels, and her's are the best I've had. Breakfasts are served between 8:00 and 9:30, and the first time we stayed at the Inn I was a bit taken aback when Nancy wanted us to give her a time within that period. However, we did so, and the next morning I realized why. For the most part, Nancy cooks each breakfast separately, so that what should be hot is hot, and what should be cold is cold. And it is all delicious. I have never had even a mediocre breakfast there. She also has a special blend of coffee that is very good.
I mostly stay in hotels when I travel, so I have to make an adjustment when my wife takes me to a B & B. It's a totally different experience, and problably not for everyone. Children under twelve are not allowed, but that's okay with me. I like children, especially mine, but sometimes it's nice to have an adults only experience.
I'm not easy to please, but I have no hesitaion in recommending the McFarland Inn.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hard2pleasetraveler

Reviewed July 12, 2008

I wanted to give it a full year before I wrote my review of the McFarland. I felt maybe, I hadn't been to many B&B's so my opinion would be skewed...NOT the case. Since our stay I can safely say, with the MOST confidence---Nancy needs to find another calling. Perhaps, a drill Sgt??!
I grew up in CdA and then moved to Alaska. We came back to town for a week long wedding and decided rather than bugging my parents or staying in a Motel we (my boyfriend) and I would try a B&B. I've admired the in for many years, because I lived a mere 4 blocks away growing up. First off, my BOYFRIEND and I had to fake our engagement. When I called to make the reservation...Nancy seemed put off that we were not married so I quickly covered with "oh, well we...ummm are getting married soon!" that seemed to quiet the beast. Upon arriving everything was great...the room, overall style or the inn was totally retro which was just what we wanted. WOW- cut to the MANDITORY breakfast at 8 am sharp!!!! Did I mention she practically knocks on your door to get you down in time for breakfast...she made a huge deal when we slept in (once) and failed to inform her of our plans. I know...the down right audacity we have to sleep-in on our vacation!
Just forget trying to have anyone come see you at the Inn either. My sister came by to drop something off, Nancy pretty much scolded her for knocking on the door. We tip-toed around the house as to not irritate the Dragon Beast, for the most part we hid in our room whenever could. We spent good money to stay at her Inn (over $1000) for 6 days and we left town for one night during the middle of our stay. The Inn by itself is wonderful, beautiful, historic, and classy. The Inn Keeper (Nancy) ruins it. I really think she needs to get some help with running it. Someone to be her PR rep and do all the guest interactions. She is too stiff, curt and rude to deal with the public. Inn keeping is a service oriented job, the public has a right to have great service whether they are married or not, gay, strait, have pink-blue-red-yellow hair, or are not 45 yrs old. If I wanted to stay with my snotty stuck-up Aunt I would have. Save yourself the grief and check-in at the CdA Resort...at least they have a spa there.

Stacey O-Anchorage, AK
staceyrcks1@yahoo.com

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Staceyrcks1
nharp1, Owner at McFarland Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2011

I appreciate all comments from my guests. I will address a few issues.

I would like to start out by saying that The McFarland Inn has never asked or required that guests be married. I welcome all singles and couples no matter their age or situation. The only way I know if someone is married is if they tell me. I am surprised but very sorry these guests got this impression and that they were uncomfortable because of that. It has also never been my practice to require guests to come to breakfast. I must have said something to them to make them feel that way and, again, I apologize for that. Guests sign up for an approximate breakfast time but if they change their mind or sleep in, this is not a problem.

The McFarland Inn has a "friends and family' special. If guests are visiting Coeur d'Alene because they have family members here or are attending a wedding, a 10 percent discount is available. Also, friends are welcome to join guests for breakfast, relax before they go to dinner or just hang out.

I continue to do everything I can to make my guests feel this is their home away from home. I appreciate feedback that helps me improve upon that.

Reviewed May 31, 2007

This is a very nice B&B. The two rooms I'm familiar with, McFarland and Coeur d'Alene are spacious. If noise bothers you then book the room on the second floor. The McFarland is next to the kitchen. It did not disturb me but there was some occasional noise during the waking hours.
The owner, Nancy, is a wonderful host. She is very customer oriented and an interesting person. The breakfasts were delicious and she was very helpful planning our activities and our dinners.
The bathroom towels were lush; the quality you find in the Four Seasons hotels. The experience in the B&B and the beauty of the area should result in a good time. If it doesn't, it's your fault!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dontcallmeillcallyou
Reviewed December 7, 2006

Where do I begin?!
For my birthday weekend, I decided to stray from the traditional partying and chose to visit the Spokane/Coeur d'Alene area. After seeing some excellent reviews for the McFarland Inn, I decided to treat myself to a night at this charming, beautiful home. I couldnt have made a better selection.

When I arrived, I was given the grand tour by Nancy, who pointed out various functions and amenities of her clean, beautiful B&B. From the beginning, I felt warmed by the sight of a few well-decorated Christmas trees and welcomed by the elements of relaxation and comfort that seemed to be present in every room of the house.

While I was at the McFarland, I soaked in the inviting hot tub
and read a book in the family room next to a cozy fire. Later, I chose a selection from the excellent DVD library and watched it in my room, totally snuggled under the down comforter with a cup of wonderful hot chocolate. If that wasnt enough, Nancy had provided what proved to be an excellent suggestion for my celebratory birthday dinner and I spent a pleasant evening at The Wine Cellar and roaming through the galleries and shops of picturesque Coeur d'Alene.

In the morning, after specifying what time I wanted to wake up, Nancy had a tray with hot chocolate and marshmallows waiting outside my door. Breakfast, served in the cozy dining room, included a quiche, bacon, and a delicious croissant with Nancy's own homemade Huckleberry jam. When Nancy asked if I would like company during my meal, I found myself enjoying the conversation of someone who seemed to delight in opening her home to others.

A great room, a great meal, snacks, plenty of amenities and a gracious and pleasant innkeeper! What more could you ask for?! All I know is that I feel sorry for my next B&B...it will have to live up to the level of perfection that I encountered at the McFarland Inn!!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled solo
2  Thank roadtripphene
Reviewed October 25, 2006

this b&b is absolutely wonderful! the hostess was warm and personable - the food was incredible! the b&b was very nicely furnished! my stay in coeur d'alene was extra special thanks to nancy (the owner/hostess!).

• Stayed: October 2006
Reviewed October 14, 2006

Recently I took my wife to Coeur d'Alene for our 15th anniversary weekend. I saw on The McFarland Inn website that the owner would provide some champagne and roses for anniversary guests and that special touch convinced me to book a room. Our experience was everything we expected, and more. The owner Nancy provided top of the line service. We had our beds turned down at night with chocolates on the pillow. When we came in from our anniversary dinner at the Resort, a tray with champagne, glasses, chocolates and a rose was waiting for us in our room. The atmosphere of the rooms and indeed the entire house is gracious and welcoming. This is without a doubt the nicest B and B we have encountered in Idaho, and we plan to return.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Palamino
Reviewed October 11, 2006

Staying at the McFarland was a wonderful, relaxing experience. The house is just beautiful, and my room, The Sherman Room, was so serene and peaceful that I slept better than I have slept in ages. The lovely bathroom has a claw foot tub, and I loved having a long, relaxing bath.
The hostess, Nancy Harper, was so helpful with suggestions of sights to see and places to eat. She had discount tickets for a Lake Coeur d'Alene evening cruise, which was beautiful.
In the morning, she served a gourmet breakfast that was delicious. She offers several options for the time you want to eat, and she also asks if there are foods you cannot eat. I saw her adjust her menu for someone who was allergic to wheat. Visiting with the other guests in the dining sun room was so much fun. I met people from several different states. Nancy made everyone feel welcome and sat down with us to visit while we lingered over coffee.
I felt welcome and pampered and have warm memories of my visit. I certainly recommend it for anyone planning a visit to Coeur d'Alene who would like to relax and be pampered in beautiful surroundings.

Stayed: August 2006