“One of Our Favorites”

Ranked #3 of 10 Coeur d'Alene B&B and Inns
North Georgia
“One of Our Favorites”
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We generally try to use B&B's if the trip allows. The McFarland Inn was one of our all-time favorites. The location was excellent--about a 10-15 minute walk to the downtown area. Unless you absolutely want to stay on the water, this is a great location--away from all the noise and people. Beautiful backyard and rocking chairs on the front porch. Excellent breakfasts and ubiquitous homemade cookies. Nancy was quite helpful in giving us information about things we were considering. We used her bikes to ride the Lake Coeur d'Alene portion of the Centennial Trail. Good strong shower and a bathtub for me. My husband and I could think of absolutely nothing to criticize.

Room Tip: We stayed in Huckleberry Room--very quiet and enough space to spread out over four nights.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kcxmas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I have nothing but praise for Nancy and the Mcfarland Inn. My husband and I were in town for a few days to have a couple get away. Our flight was late arriving into Spokane and we arrived extremely late to the B&B. This was no issue for Nancy. Most B&Bs would not have allowed us to arrive so late.

The breakfast were amazing. All very good and fresh. We had three breakfast and all were different. The constant was the fresh fruit. YUMM.

We were thrilled to use the bikes the Inn provided to stroll around town. Helmets were even provided.

Our room was extremely clean and comfortable. We stay at many B&Bs and the extras here are wonderful. TV with VHS & DVD players in the room. A huge selection of VHS & DVDs. Free Wifi. Top notch towel and soaps. The wine and cheese hours at night. Access to the full house. Even a guest refrigerator. Free water and sodas. She even allows you to have food and drinks in your room. She also had a hand held steamer and allowed me to use it on my dress.

We stayed in the Huckleberry room and it has a clawfoot tub; one of the main reasons I booked that room. I enjoyed my bath. It was a highlight of our stay.

Downtown and the lake are walkable to the Inn.

I honestly have nothing bad to say about our stay. I wish we could stay longer.

I have seen a few people complain about Nancy's rules here on TripAdvisor. The only "rules" I knew about were:
1) You can't use the kitchen. That is a law so not really Nancy's rule. The kitchen is an industrial kitchen used to make food for guest. Not everyone can have access to it.
2) You have to eat breakfast in certain hours. I don't remember the exact hours but it was like a 3 hour window. Again didn't see that as a rule but more of a way for Nancy to have a life. Who wants to be making breakfast all day for guest?
3) You have to sign up for breakfast time the night before. Again, I just saw it as a courtesy to Nancy versus a rule. She needs to know when you are going to eat.

When we are back in the area we will stay here. There is no reason to try any other resort or B&B. For the price this place is amazing. Thank you Nancy for the great job and helping us enjoy our trip to your corner of the World.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Me9247
Oakland, California
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Haven't been to a B&B we didn't like---they all top hotels---but this one stands out. Nancy Harper is the most gracious hostess. There was water, Pepsi, candy, cookies, wine and cheese---and scrumptious individually prepared breakfasts, with variety. We hit some bad weather, but it didn't matter. We had the use of an extensive part of this beautiful house, in addition to our super comfy bed and bedroom. The bathroom was four-star. Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dick M
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We stayed at the Mcfarland Inn for two nights. The food and amenities were fantastic. However, the owner was a bit abrupt and pert. She didn't seem to be comfortable with people being there. There seemed to be some control issues. If that doesn't matter to you, then it would okay. If you are looking for something a little more personal you may be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank avsfans
Silverado, California
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I stayed for one night and found everything quite satisfying. It is on a quiet street. Well decorated house with a very comfortable bedroom and private bath. The breakfast was perfect with plenty of food. I enjoyed experience there and would recommend going there.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank GregoryOrangeCounty
Montana
Reviewed January 8, 2012

My husband doesn't usually want to stay at a B & B, but this one he loved! Nancy the owner, has created a tastefully decorated, luxury atmosphere where we felt so comfortable and at home for our three night stay. Every ammenity was provided in our room from complementary water bottles to down-filled duvet and other luxury linens and towels. There was a TV and DVD player and wi-fi (a computer is available in the family room). Nancy's quarters are located in a seperate area so she shows you the entire first level is your "living area".
Some extras: a guest refrigerator,micro-wave, snacks and goodies, wine at 6 pm, hot chocolate and cookies before bed, personalized gourmet breakfast,and a library of DVD's and art books. We were there during winter weather so we didn't utilize the available bikes, the pretty yard or the hot tub. Nancy was a wealth of information and each restaurant she suggested was great. It was eagle watching season and we were able to view more than 100 from a lake cruise and the far shore. McFarland Inn is just a few blocks from the downtown and we loved visiting the wonderful galleries and shops. I even bought a painting at the Angel Gallery. They had a wide selection of art, crafts and antiques. There are at least 5 thrift/consignment shops within walking distance of Nancy's. We want to go back in the spring to explore those and go bike riding!! An extra bonus is shopping in Spokane just 30-45 min away or a daytrip up to Sandpoint. Thanks to Nancy for a perfect mini-vacation!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pookiek
Marche-en-Famenne, Belgium
Reviewed December 9, 2011

I can only confirm all the positive reviews here below. One has high expectations after reading the reviews but rest assured, your expectations will be exceeded. Nancy is a very kind host and she owns this awesome house, perfectly situated in the city. The quality of the bed / mattress was remarkable as my back is the first you to tell me whether I like a place or not. Then the breakfast is of course a treat. I could go on but just wrapping up with stating that this place is the B&B you have always wanted to stay in.I'll be back !

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business