“Mouth watering home cooked food. Thrilled to see this place in Caldwell!”
Review of Dog House - CLOSED

Dog House
Cuisines: American
Reviewed March 27, 2014

A friend and I were trying to find a place for a quick dinner tonight, cruising past the usual Mexican restaurants, I was pleasantly surprised to discover the Dog House. As the other reviewer has said, the place is not sparkling clean, but I didn't feel unsafe eating there. It did actually seem cleaner than most of the restaurants I'm used to eating at in Caldwell. The venue wasn't fancy, but the food more than made up for it. I had the Ruben Dog and it was one of the best hot dogs I've ever had. My friend's foot long hot dog was covered in chili, onions, homemade pulled pork, and topped in cole slaw. After the woman behind the counter heard me raving about the pastrami on my Ruben, she asked if I wanted to try their pulled pork for free. It was absolutely heavenly. It isn't dry like most pulled pork I've had, and you can definitely taste the smokey-sweet flavor. I also thought the prices were really reasonable and varied depending on the size of what you were getting. I can't wait to come back to try the pulled pork sandwich with slaw! If you're looking for a 5 star restaurant experience, you probably won't find it at this, or any, hot dog place, but if you want a quick and delicious meal in Caldwell, this is the restaurant for you.

2  Thank KDanger77

Reviewed February 20, 2014

I really do not like giving poor reviews on locally owned restaurants...especially new ones so I hope this helps the owners step up. We saw an article in the local paper and decided to give it a try a few days later. The diner is a small old building with some bistro tables and a few picnic tables. At first glance it seems bright and welcoming until we saw that every table was dirty, the condiment containers dirty, no napkins in most of the holders, no paper towels in the unisex bathroom, floors with crust, and a pan in the middle of the floor to catch drips from the leaky roof. I told the counter gal about the lack of paper towels and she did not replace any, at least not while I was there. The counter gal had missing teeth & kept running her fingers through her hair. She appeared very unkempt. The cook had a filthy apron on and walked in from outside, didn't wash his hands, and began cooking. The menu has a nice selection of hot dogs, fries, onion rings, and sandwiches. I had the corn dog, The batter was fair, the meat was terrible. It seemed very low quality, not what you expect for a hefty price of $5.00. The employees said it was swamped the night of the newspaper article yet there was only one table in there when we stopped for lunch.

2  Thank StacysMom_52