“Mi Amore Mario's = No More Azteca”
Review of Mario's Mexican Restaurant - CLOSED

Mario's Mexican Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2014

My Husband and I have an extreme love for "quality" food deriving from all cultures. Personally I find that restaurants in the US have evolved towards the Americanized version as that's the demand. Mexican Restaurants for example such as Azteca are known (my opinion) for adding powdered sugar and masking what could actually be a flavor by melting a ton of cheese over everything. This is not the case when dining at Mario’s. Be warned; don't eat here if your taste buds aren't ready for fantastic authentic Mexican food. Our problem is....now where do we go? :) Perhaps a road trip back to Bonner. VERY Sincerely, Kristin (Edmonds, WA).

1  Thank KLB B

Reviewed February 24, 2014

First, I was told that Mario's had this amazing green "guacamole" made out of lettuce. I was sitting on my rump in Texas when I heard this, and quite frankly, I figured it was just some wild story designed to put a gloss on mediocre (or worse!) so-called "Mexican" food somewhere in the wilds of far, far, far Northern Idaho. Of course, I hadn't been there, but all I could imagine was something I would never eat, even to just be polite.

BOY, WAS I WRONG!

One of the best things in the entire world - and parts of Alabama - is the green lettuce "guacamole" from Mario's in Bonner's Ferry, Idaho! I mean, this place is the absolute center of the universe for a very unique, delicious, and awesome lettuce guacamole! And even better, Mario himself came right to my table and made it for me, trotting out the Vitamix, fresh garlic, lush jalapeno's, corn oil, and the secret ingredient - two heads of Iceberg lettuce! After giving this a yank, a crank, and a secret whirl, out poured some really delicious "guacamole" that has all the great flavor of avocado guacamole!

Not only this, but Mario has some other really delish salsas and pico de guillo that tempt your taste buds with each bite. MMMMM! His corn salsa is fresh and tasty. One of the salsa's will almost burn your mouth off, but you can't help but eat more and more. I love it!

I almost forgot to talk about the great food! Mario's is REAL Tex-Mex! Mario himself hails from Brownsville, and he and his family migrated following the crops up to the Pacific Northwest over the years. The recipes are his mother's mother's mother's mother - I mean, they are authentic Tex-Mex! I enjoyed enchiladas and tamales with traditional sauces, and they were good! I will definitely go back the next time I am in Bonner's Ferry!

As for décor, it is also traditional Tex-Mex - bright colors, Mexican kitsch. I like that. I visited on a cold Sunday afternoon so did not get to try out the inviting outdoor patio, but next time I am there I definitely will. I love that it has a fireplace and cool lighting outside.

There is one thing that should be fixed, IMO. The chips. When I visited the chips were cold. Crispy, tasty, but cold. They really need to be served nice and hot, with a liberal dose of very fine salt. Otherwise, I loved my first and so far only trip to Mario's!

So, take your appetite, your wallet (small size o.k. - it's not expensive!), and your love for all things spicy and run, not walk, to Mario's tonight! Or for lunch! Let Mario explain to you how he developed the multiple recipes that make Mario's so good! And tell him "Tom from Texas" sent you!

1  Thank TomJones3
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Try the sauces highly recommended. Also the burrito was the best ever. Full of delicious flavours. What a great find.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Great food. The lettuce salsa is a must. Mario is personable and truly loves to cook for his customers. Everything is prepared from scratch.

Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

Driving through Bonners Ferry and am now having the best authentic Mexican food north of 41 degrees. Salsas are off the hook, and HOT if you like. Save your appetite, you'll not be disappointed.