“Modern but Tired”

Ranked #6 of 58 Hotels in Boise
Boston, Massachusetts
“Modern but Tired”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed at The Modern last year when visiting family in Boise and loved it - the look, the food, the ambiance all great. This year, the motel seemed tired: the rugs in both rooms (we are a family of five so we rent two rooms) were dirty and stained, the walls were marked up and the bathroom countertop in one of the rooms was burned. The staff seem a little jaded too - with the exception of one stellar front-desk manager, who I remember as being friendly, helpful and responsive last year too. Two times our room reservation was messed up (I won't go into all the details, but one of the hotel employees was great about and the other seemed put out). I love the concept of The Modern and the look, but we'll be looking for someplace new next year. One other note: if you use a wheelchair and need an ADA-room, the only one is in front of the bar, which can be very loud at night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank Joanne M
Michal L, Manager at Modern Hotel and Bar, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Joanne, I am sorry the Modern Hotel let you down on your last visit to Boise. You are correct about the carpet and the the bathroom countertop. And I appreciate you pointing it out. These items have recently been addressed.
I am most disappointed that you felt the staff was less than our usual helpful selves. And I am grateful you pointed out Polly’s usual gifted ability to assist our guests. We do hope you come back again. I know you will have a much better experience. Also we do have one other ADA room. Maybe we can make this location work better for you.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed September 10, 2013

The modern is a wonderful place to stay in Boise. Very friendly staff, excellent location for walking anywhere in town, great bar, good noise management to stay away from the action, if preferred. Nice patio. It would be nice if there was a pool. Good food. Complimentary breakfast was great. Maybe consider having bikes to rent?

Room Tip: Ask to be in the quiet section if you want to avoid the bar/party sounds.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Washington,, DC
Reviewed September 10, 2013

The reviews convinced me that I wanted to stay at the Modern when I was in Boise on business. The ambiance and the friendliness were terrific. The food is local and imaginative. My group and I ate there practically every day we were there. The rooms look good, but aren't necessarily practical. I love the sink--but try actually using it to get ready in the morning. There is no counter. The shower doesn't have enough light or enough water presure. A lightbulb by the bed was out and, despite my request that it be replaced, nothing was done. Regardless, I'd stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The Modern is one of small set of exceptional boutique hotels I've found across the U.S. With a simple, well-executed design aesthetic, great staff and a truly exceptional, locally-sourced breakfast included I would argue it's the best place to stay in Boise.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reviewed September 5, 2013

On a recent Culinary Adventure in Boise sponsored by the Idaho Division of Tourism we had the privilege of staying at the Modern for the first few nights of our stay.

The rooms were nicely updated and the Bar, not only had fabulous cocktails, but also amazing food.

It is a place that I would definitely stay at again if I am back in Boise as it is within walking or biking distance of downtown and the greenbelt.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Ketchum, Idaho
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This small downtown hotel has all you need in Boise. Wonderful beds, modern bathrooms, friendly staff and well known bar and restaurant, also pet friendly. Very convenient to getting around in Boise - our favorite!

Room Tip: We have stayed in 4 different rooms in the past year and they were all good - some with king bed and...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I love this place. Truly a great bed with real pillows and nice linens. A wonderful night's sleep which is what matters most to me when traveling. Clean, peaceful, and good service. Breakfast is a nice treat. Fresh bagels, homemade fruit compote and fresh squeezed juice. A great value. My only wish -- a bathtub and a different sink. I know they spent a ton of money on these cool looking designer sinks, but they don't drain. I wouldn't let a sink keep me from staying here again and again and again.

• Stayed May 2013