“Older Property on the Way Back”

The Riverside Hotel
Ranked #8 of 58 Hotels in Boise
Tacoma, Washington
“Older Property on the Way Back”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This former Red Lion Inn was purchased a few years ago by investors and their efforts at rehabilitation and upgrading are starting to pay off. The property is on the west side of Boise near Garden City and it sits along a hike and bike trail along the Boise River. The hotel doesn't take much advantage of that except that guests have easy access to the trail. Most of the rooms overlook the inner courtyard instead of the nicer view of the river. Some of the rooms have been refurbished and refurnished, and these are very good and clean and stylish. The older rooms are ho-hum and drab, and have dings and nicks and dirty corners needed a good cleaning. I was at a conference and saw both types, while I was in an older room. The rooms are very spacious, suite-like, but the older rooms don't take advantage of the large expanse. The breakfast buffet is very good with made-to-order omelettes and a great selection, a little pricy, but worth it. The conference facilities were very good, with large and small rooms and good catering service. There are no elevators, and if you get an upstairs room far from the lobby and cannot park near, the walk up and down stairs is tedious with baggage. There is no valet parking or bellhop service, so you are on your own. If you can't lug your own luggage up stairs, get a downstairs room near the lobby or ask for a handicapped room. I had a room near the back facing the courtyard, and the noisy outside bar and partying at the pool required me to close the balcony doors, turn on the AC (which wasn't really needed) to make white noise.

Room Tip: Stay far away from the back near the outside bar and grill during warm months. If you cannot lug yo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
TheRiverside H, General Manager at The Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
I'm sorry you had such a negative impression of my Hotel. I would like to speak with you further about this review. Please contact me directly at derek.mcelroy@riversideboise.com. I look forward to speaking with you about your experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Bremerton, Washington
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stayed a weekend (Sept. 14th, 2013) and had a great time! A few staff I'd like to especially acknowledge are:
Nancy T., Bartender Extraordinaire!
Brittany R. and Lisa H. who were fun and friendly servers in the poolside bar
Ryan the shuttle driver

The hotel is beautiful, the shower is awesome, the breakfast buffet is wonderful, but best of all the staff are icing on the cake!
Cindy T., Seattle

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Cindy T
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We had reservations at this motel and had to cancel due to a minor emergency. We stopped in at the motel while traveling thru their city to let them know. I was greeted by Amity at the front desk. I explained our situation and she was very helpful and cancelled everything except I had to call Expedia for reimbursement I did so while I was there. I was put on hold for over 25 minutes while they had to call the motel. I went back to the desk and Amity said they had not called or faxed any info to them. She then proceeded to call them herself. She handled everything for us saying she would take good care of us. She did. That's great customer service. This motel has a great employee and we will defiantly come back AND tell all our friends. Great looking motel and location. Thank You Amity.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Charleston SC
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My husband and I are currently staying at the Riverside with a 5 day convention. We have been quite impressed with everyone we have encountered.After reading several mixed reviews ,I did not know what to expect. We have had super service from the moment we checked in. Cindy at the lobby bar was fantastic! She suggested a few dining options when we asked about dinner in downtown. She even made our reservations and had James ,also great, to take and pick us up on the shuttle. We had a to die for breakfast next morning! The beds are super comfortable-wish I could take one home! Our room overlooks the parking lot but I'm sure for a little extra we could have had a river view which is the case with all hotels.The grounds are beautiful with roses blooming! Although there are some cosmetics changes in the process,I can't understand why anyone would give this hotel a poor rating. If you want the Ritz Carlton go pay 500.00 a night!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
TheRiverside H, General Manager at The Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
I am so happy to hear about what a great stay you are having! It is always great to hear about how my Staff has gone above and beyond in making our guests' stay even better by doing the little extra things that are so memorable. Thank you for your comments, and I look forward to your return visit.
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We had a wild and wonderful experience at this hotel. late arrival, rushed to the bar for dinner, expecting cold French fries and foolish junk. instead, we were pleasantly surprised by delectable pan fried trout and perfectly garlicky pasta that arrived quickly. So okay, this place might not be so bad. Explored the river walk area, beautiful location with plenty of amenities in the hotel. But the kicker came the second night, as a thunderstorm rolled through. We were having cocktails at the pool bar around 4pm, (with our dog mind you, because they like dogs here). The storm came through quickly and sent everyone scurrying. Without a blink, the lifeguards, servers, bartenders and staff had everyone squared away, all the hatches battened down, and our dog was hanging out inside the bar getting free cookies from everyone around which our icy cold beers were being topped up. when the storm passed, they fired up the bbq again and went right back to business. Yup they have nice rooms, a great location, all the amenities for the kids, lots of good food, but with nice people like that, service industry people in Idaho should get paid waaaaaay more and have free health care.

Room Tip: Big rooms with nice modern updates, bottom floor riverside allows access the path ways easily. Othe...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed at The Riverside Hotel in Boise for a group event in September 2013. While we were very pleased with the property and location that's where the praise ends. The service at the hotel at every level was substandard from the front desk at check in to service at The Riverside Grill to service in the bar. Throughout our stay we were met with lackadaisical service that ranged from being ignored at the front desk while clerks were on the phone and uninterested to waiting 10 minutes for service at the bar. We might stay here again but would lower our service expectations.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
It is very unusual for me to hear anything like this about the Staff at The Riverside Hotel. In fact, reviews in the past have made great comments about the Staff while maybe less enthusiastic comments about the location or the age of the facility. I want to hear more about what happened during your recent stay. I am sorry you had this experience, but I want to make our service even better, and address any individual staff members as needed. Please respond to me directly at derek.mcelroy@riversideboise.com at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Minneapolis
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We loved staying at the Riverside. The staff is very friendly and they present guests with a chocolate chip cookie upon check in. The hotel has a large, lovely salt water pool. The breakfast buffet is fabulous with locally grown produce. A winner on every level.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple