“My stay in late March/early April 2013”

The Riverside Hotel
Ranked #7 of 58 Hotels in Boise
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a nice hotel with years of history - A big shout out to some of those who treated me very well - Sam and Geri from the restaurant - Nancy and Cindy from the bar. They had a smoking room available for me in this year of 2013 (very rare these days) - Awesome!!! I smoked maybe a couple of cigarettes in my room per night, tops, but when I would come back in after work it smelled like it has become a smoking lounge - I suspect staff use the smoking rooms for this purpose as I am a smoker and know the difference (and the ashtray moved around), but ok.

I stayed in two different rooms, neither had even a small fridge. I called Room Service to ask for an ice bucket, but they said I had to go to the front desk, so I did. They assured me I had one in my bathroom, and I said I did not so they sent me one. Actually, they were right - I just hadn't recognized it as an ice bucket because it was so small I thought it was for holding toothbrushes. I could maybe fit one soda or beer in it to keep it cold, much less a 12 pack!

But hey, the people there were very, very nice and friendly to me. Their breakfast buffet is great, especially on Sundays!!! I got some free mimosas on that deal ($6 each when not free).

Room Tip: Bring an ice chest.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank RandallK581
TheRiverside H, General Manager at The Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Mr. K - Thank you your great comments about the Hotel and the Staff! It is true about smoking rooms being a rarity these days. We have 303 rooms at The Riverside Hotel, and only 5 of those are smoking rooms. I'm sorry, however, you didn't like the size of your ice bucket. I'll check into getting a few larger ones so we may have them upon request.
Thank you for your mention of Nancy and Cindy, Geri and Sam. My Staff works very hard to make your stay as great as it can be, and it's always nice to hear when my guests are happy with those efforts.
Speaking of the staff, I promise you no one on our staff used your room as a smoking lounge while you were out. The ashtray was moved simply because the room was cleaned. I'm pretty sure you were joking about the staff, but I wanted to comment just in case.
Thanks again for your review and we look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had a group of people for a birthday party come to your hotel bar for snacks and drinks on
April 5, 2013. The bar was is in the lobby and Cindy our waitress/bartender was fantastic. She made us feel welcome and she did an amazing job keeping everyone happy! Looking forward to returning in the Spring as she was telling us about the outside bar that will be up and running by the river.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

I'm so glad Cindy was able to help make your friend's birthday party more memorable. Cindy is a great asset and a long-term staff member and is always smiling. She's also excited about the sandbar opening in early May! She will be bartending at the sandbar on Monday and Tuesday nights, if you want to pay her a visit.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I came here for Saturday brunch and had a really nice visit. The food and atmosphere were very nice for a casual, comfortable Saturday morning. The service was great and Dean and Sam did everything to make us feel welcome and well looked after.

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for your comments about Dean and Sam! Sam was once a server and is now managing the Riverside Grill, and Dean was once a cook and is now a server. It's so great to have staff members move up to more visible roles and then excel in those roles. Thanks for letting me know how happy you were!

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I access the greenbelt and have passed the hotel many times. I didn't stop until I heard music from the sandbar. I became a regular out there many eves of the week. I now stop in 1 or 2 times a week I have an opportunity to stop by at the riverside hotel bar 365.
I live in boise and enjoy the food from an excellent diverse menu, the awesome desserts, the occasional music, and the fantastic hired help that work at the hotel. They are all very happy and service oriented and pay particular attention to customer service. some of your employees have been with the hotel for an extensive length of time. this usually indicates that it is a good place to work and that employees are treated well by their company and the management. I have observed every employee has taken the time to address customer needs and concerns. They are very helpful assisting with questions and have done what is needed to make each person feel welcome. I will take this opportunity to single out a few of them: Cindy and Nancy behind the bar. Meg over in the restaurant. Elise (aka Hector: a fun story of her first day) one of the wait staff at the sandbar and the sapphire club. Dean, who is a genuine nice guy and super helpful server.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank SuperDaveinBoise

I'm so happy you came off the Greenbelt to give us a try! Thanks for mentioning Nancy and Cindy, Meg and Elise and Dean. My staff work very hard to make every guest happy and it's always nice to hear about that hard work paying off. Also, the sandbar is scheduled to re-open for the season on Mother's Day weekend, so you can stop by for our Mother's Day Brunch and then go for a beer at the sandbar!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is the only place we stay when visiting Boise. The location is PERFECT - walking path outside your room with the beautiful Boise River running alongside. The beds & pillows are very comfortable, the shower is to die for (dual shower heads) and the rooms are always spotless. The Riverside Hotel is pet friendly and they even welcome your pets while you dine at the outdoor Sand Bar Grill - they give your pooches homemade dog biscuits and make sure they never go thirsty (same goes for us human-folk). They have a free shuttle that will take you downtown at a moment's notice and shows up right away to pick you up and take you back "home". The Riverside Grill is another wonderful place to eat at the hotel! You get a complimentary breakfast buffet with your room and it is AMAZING! Not your usual run of the mill "continental breakfast" - this spread has everything you could ever want for breakfast with most of it, if not all of it, locally grown. The Riverside Bacon is delicious (and I'm not a big meat eater, but couldn't get enough of it....totally yummy!) and the Eggs Benedict were one of my favorite dishes as well. We had dinner there one night and both the steak and grilled salmon were very good. The Staff is always friendly and accommodating to our every need. One of our favorite's is Sam Longaker who works in the Riverside Grill. We met him at our first visit last September and look forward to seeing him every time we visit. He's a super nice guy, making sure we are always well taken care of, and we always are. I highly recommend this Hotel and restaurant.

Room Tip: We travel with our dogs, so we always get a room on the bottom floor, facing the walking path and Ri...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write such great comments about our Hotel and Restaurant. Also, thanks for recognizing Sam in the Riverside Grill for his hard work. I appreciate that very much. I'm glad you were so happy with your stay and we look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I and the wife are from boise and every once and awhile the grandparents want to come visit there grand kids, so whan that happens I and the wife like to slip away for the weekend, we like to go to jack pot but we didnt want to drive this time so we took our friends advice that told us about the riverside hotel write in town, and when we called to reserve our room, they informed us of a show in the sapphire room on friday we thought great something to do, we checked in and went to our room, the show started at 7.30 so we headed down to the lobby bar after getting ready, we where greeted by a nice man as we entered the bar area and he help us find a seat, the bartender was fast and friendly and made a nice drink, my wife likes wine and the man that greeted us suggested a very nice wine, we went into the sapphire room when the doors opened, ordered some food and saw the show food was some of the best we have had anywhere, the show was great and here is this man again that greeted us in the lobby asking if we would like another wine, he suggested another wine and we both had a glass great wine so I asked what it was called and he told me the name and the fact it was local really pleased us both, continos was very upbeat show we had a great nite, went to the restaurant the next morning for there buffet and wow what a great spread and here is this man again asking to seat us I asked his name and he said sam Iam which I and the wife got a kick out of it having to pre- school aged children, I asked him when he finds time to sleep (mondays) the room was nice and clean the staff some of the best every, the food some of the best anywhere and the staff above and beyond and most importantly dedicated, thats what makes success. thank you for such a nice weekend J allan P.S you made my wife very happy and thats (not easy)

Room Tip: I think any room here would be great
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
TheRiverside H, General Manager at The Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

I am so very glad you enjoyed your visit to The Sapphire Room. As you may know, this is a new venue in the Boise Market and we have been working to make it into the premier music and listening room in town. Sam has played a large part in that and will continue to do so. Thank you for recognizing his effort and style and I hope you come back to see us again soon!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

The entire hotel staff was beyond helpful for our trip. Not a single complaint from our 14 person party.

James was a superb shuttle driver taking us around the great city of Boise.

Dean was one of the best servers and made sure our bottomless mimosas had no bottom.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for mentioning James, one of our shuttle drivers, and Dean, one of our servers. Both are relatively new to their jobs and I'm glad to hear they are doing as well as I thought. James hasn't been with us all that long and Dean had been a cook, only recently coming to the front of the house to serve.

It's always nice to hear when our staff makes such a good impression.