“Not Perfect, But Very Good”
Review of Locavore

Locavore
Ranked #309 of 797 Restaurants in Boise
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Boise, Idaho
“Not Perfect, But Very Good”
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Yes, it's easy with a small local restaurant to find fault. Is service always terrific? Nope. But in several visits to Locavore it's never been terrible. In fact, most times it's been very good. The servers tend to be personal and seem to care about what they're doing. Similarly, there seems to be people in the kitchen who care. We've never eaten there and felt that we had a bad meal. I think they're smart in keeping the menu fairly short and focusing on things they handle well. We do wish that the menu changed more often and that some new dishes were introduced. It would certainly get us visiting more often if we knew we might have a few menu surprised to look forward to. But overall, a good dining experience and at a very fair price. Not a bad wine list either, and again fairly priced.

• Visited December 2011

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Everything was great and service was excellent”
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I read a few reviews before I started to type mine. Whatever the issues were about service, it has been fixed. The place was packed (only 2 tables open and 1 booth open). The server checked with me several times. I even overhead a great line that he said to a gentleman eating alone at the table next to us after he was finished with his meal. He said something to the nature of, "Sir, here is your bill, but I'd like to remind you that my service doesn't stop here. Please stay as our guest as long as you like and let me know if you need ANYTHING else. However, if you decide you have to go, we thank you for coming in and I can be your cashier when you're ready.|"

Food and wine were awesome!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Carl P
Boise, ID
“it would be so easy to fix everything that's wrong with this place”
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Like most of the reviewers, I live near Locavore and like to bike over there from time to time. It's nice to try to support a place that's in your neighborhood and seves (mainly) locally-sourced food. But Locavore frustrates the well-intentioned diner.
The service, as many have noted, is inattentive and thoughtless. If I owned this place I'd at least re-train them all or let them go and start with a fresh bunch.
The food - again, the problem here is just inattention. The menu has several interesting items on it, but these almost always arrive with something just technically flawed about them. The salads, for instance, in my experience come out massively overdressed . There must have been half a dozen occasions where this were true -- I kept hoping "this "time" someone in the kitchen would be paying attention.
All that having been said, I hope Locavore can fix its problems. The concept of the place - locally sourced food and menu with some healthy items, a beautiful location - that is something that ought to work and I'd like to have in my neighborhood. So Locavore, please, just focus, take your restaurant seriously, and hopefully things will work out.

• Visited September 2011
4 Thank jglamar
Boise, Idaho
“Worst service I have ever had in a restaurant in Boise”
Reviewed September 28, 2010

We live nearby and just biked over tonight. The restaurant had one person eating at the counter and 3 parties outside when we sat down. There were two waitresses (an blond one and a tall one). It was obvious that they saw us, but they were "busy" talking to the guy at the counter and doing what looked like cleaning utensils near the cash register.

The blond waitress came outside to the patio a couple of times, but totally ignored us each time. After sitting there for 10 minutes being ignored we walked across the street to the Tavern. The food was great and the service attentive. Locavore is the worst place I have ever been to in Boise (and I have been to literally 50+ if not a hundred) and you have to avoid it if you you do not want a most frustrating experience.

10 Thank FrequentTravellerDK
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A great little cafe”
Reviewed September 6, 2010

I'm surprised by some of the poorer reviews. This casual little cafe offers up a good value and high quality food. I find it much improved from the previous restaurants at the same location. On my multiple visits, food is always prepared well and clearly seasoned by someone that knows how to cook. The menu is simple and perfect for a local eatery.

1 Thank Jetta27

Been to Locavore? Share your experiences!