“Mediocre Neighborhood Diner”

Add it.
Applebee's
Ranked #574 of 851 Restaurants in Boise
Reviewed October 24, 2016

Applebee's touts itself as your neighborhood restaurant, and unfortunately, this is probably true. This location of Applebee's is less than 2 miles from our house, so it is very convenient for a fast meal. Again, that is a big problem. Due to its convenience, we frequent this location about twice a year.

The restaurant is attractive enough, the bar is attractive, and the servers are young, sometimes inattentive, sometimes not.

But I want to make a firm statement here: we have never, ever, had a fully satisfying meal at Applebee's. I recently ordered the potato/gravy/steak mound, medium rare. The steak was over-cooked, chewy, and under-seasoned. The entire dish was visually appalling and tasteless. I should have known better. My wife ordered a half-rack of baby back ribs. The ribs were the smallest that we have seen, more appetizer size than dinner size.

The issue is not that this meal was less than satisfying. The issue is that every meal that we have had here has been less than satisfying. Damn you Applebee's for being so convenient!

Reviewed October 5, 2016 via mobile

Years ago when I first went to Applebee's there was not a lot of competition and the food seemed to compete with a high school cafeteria. However, times have changed for the better. Their sandwiches, burgers, kids meals gave all improved dramatically and it is not a bad place to take the family for a reasonably priced meal with a diverse menu. In this day and age, better is always better.

Reviewed July 26, 2016 via mobile

I am not usually a big fan of Applebee's due to the large percentage of the menu dedicated to fried foods and the use of reprocessed chicken .
But when you need to feed a five year old and not much is open you can't be too picky.
It turned out our meal was a pleasant surprise.
First, the updated menu has a much better variety than in the past,
Second, the food was just better overall. I had a burger as good as any white tablecloth restaurant and my wife thought so too.
Our granddaughter had Mac and cheese which she gobbled down and there was a large selection of healthy sides to choose from.
Someone in corporate must have gotten the message . Meal value has never been an issue and service was terrific.

Reviewed February 15, 2016 via mobile

Kelly was our server. Fantastic. Wife had 2 four ounce sirloins cooked properly. I had 9 ounce sirloin covered with sauteed mushrooms. We regularly stop here because it's in our neighborhood. Always a great place. Never had a problem with a meal.

Reviewed January 13, 2016

At too many restaurants the lunches offered present much more food than I need or wish to pay for. Applebee's has a lunch menu which makes a lot of sense. I had cauliflower cheese soup and a spinach salad. A sensible amount of food at a sensible price. The service here was excellent; speedy and friendly.

Been to Applebee's? Share your experiences!