“Good Food.”

Good for: Families with children
Dining style: Casual Dining
“Good Food.”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This place has great sushi. The teppanyaki is very fresh and good portions. Great Value. They are a bit turn and burn. we love to go with friends or the kiddos.

Visited February 2013

“Was wishing for more”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We have eaten at all of the Shige locations, and while the premise is there and the food is fine, they come off lacking. The service is haphazard... sometimes too slow, sometimes overbearing, often getting orders wrong or forgetting drinks. It's an interesting stop for the change in food, but lots better choices in Boise.

Visited November 2012
“huh?”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Perhaps we ate at a different restaurant than the other reviewers on TA. At least that's the only explanation that I can think of.

We dined in the bar area of what was clearly a former Japanese Steak House (in the fine culinary tradition of a Benihana, only without the corporate support or training). I will give them kudos for a very flavorful miso soup, and this was not the absolute worst sushi place in which I have eaten, but this is really nothing to write home about. It's kind of like the Olive Garden for sushi, only much smaller and more dimly lit.

As I said, miso was nice. Also, the fish itself was not bad (but not great either). Unfortunately, it appeared that the sushi chef may have been working with a butter knife to make his sushi. The fish was as rough-cut as I've ever seen it, and wouldn't pass muster at the Culinary Institute of Podunk. The rice didn't seem to be sushi-grade, and fell apart at the slightest touch.

In general the flavors weren't terrible, but I really was not impressed when I got the a spicy tuna roll with a mushy mayonnaise spread on top of it (which was not in any way indicated on the menu - it just came out that way). Also, perhaps the worst sake I've had in a very long time. And yes, I realize that there are other options than the hot house sake that would have been better - for a price.

The real test - would I go there again? Sorry, Shige. Your waitstaff is very nice, but your mediocrity in pretty much every aspect of the restaurant will lead me elsewhere to find sushi. I have had better in Boise, and will not be coming back (barring major changes).

Shige had a good run, it seems, but Boise's standards aren't the same now as they were 20 years ago. Someone forgot to send Shige the memo.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank pachyderms
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Consistent, high quality sushi”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

A local secret for the best sushi in town. The decor isn't fancy but the fish is fresh and the menu has a ton of variety. Service is fast and always good. Highly recommend.

Visited October 2012
South Jordan, Utah
“KC roll is the best”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Our friends each ordered their own KC roll. We gave them a hard time about their inability to share until the food came. They were right, it is so worth keeping all to yourself. The place was packed the night we came. Our waitress brought us a roll to try (comped!) because the wait was so long. Service was attentive and food was excellent.

Visited September 2012