“A Favorite For Sure”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 9th Street
Transit: Public transportation is accessible adjacent to Cottonwood Grille.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

It has it all, atmosphere, professional wait staff, very good food, decent prices, experienced bar. When have had a less that expected meal they have replaced it immediately (front of line in kitchen) with sincere apology.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

My wife and I ate there last night. There was an event going on in town so we had to sit in the bar, which was fine. The clams were great but the main course was another story. The crusted pan seared sword fish was actually breaded and pan fried. His defeated the purpose of eating a light meal of fish. They still don't post calorie counts on the menu. The rib eye was flavorless and very fatty. At least a third went in the trash. The mushroom sauce came in a bowl that was more like a side dish that also was lacking flavor.
The bartender was swamped but took good care if us. He was the ONLY bar tender on a night they knew they were completely booked all night. Seems silly.
He steak was 31 which was allot for what it was.

1  Thank Russ S
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I contacted the Cottonwood Grill from the United Kingdom with a rather special request. I needed to have a brunch delivered to a friend of mine who lives close to the restaurant, who has been going through a tough time.

I thought some delicious cooked food would give him a little boost of spirits, but was a little worried as this was a special request, out of hours and required one of the restaurant staff to take the meal to my friend at his home.

The service was exemplary and the manageress "Amy" was so understanding and helpful.

This kind of service and level of care is quite hard to find anymore. This establishment not only accommodated me but went above and beyond their incredibly busy weekend period to make sure my friend was taken care of.

It truly touched me that the restaurant went above and beyond what was their policy to ensure that my friend's needs were met and I cannot speak highly enough of my experience with them. If you live or reside in Boise Idaho, you should make a visit as this kind of care and service is pretty darn special.

Jonathan Ward
London
United Kingdom

1  Thank Jonathan W
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We visited here right before Thanksgiving, so that may be part of the problem. I've liked this restaurant before, but this time it was disappointing. I have a problem with dairy and instead of substituting olive oil or removing the dairy from the sides or main dishes, I ended up with only a lot of dry green peas and broccoli as sides, because the waitress insisted that all the dishes couldn't be altered, that they were all pre-made--this from an expensive place? Also, I had the prime rib, and I know that prime rib is very fat, but my piece was half fat--that's too much fat. Plus, the waitress forgot part of our order. This is an expensive restaurant for Boise, they need to do better.

2  Thank Conda D
Reviewed November 30, 2012

A group of us went for a birthday. Their Happy Hour was very crowded, but the waiter was on top of it, and the kitchen got our appetizers out quickly.
You may wonder why I rated the experience so low? There is no noise dampening of any kind, and it is like a school cafeteria. It's always been this way, and we forgave because the food was great... not this time.
We ordered the special, Steak Oscar, at $39 per plate. The steak was ordered medium rare, and arrived "blue" and room temp. I can let that slide, but we could smell our entree coming, they used canned crab, and it smelled like low tide. They took it back, and offered another, but I really didn't want to wait for the meal again, and the smell of the crab kind of curbed our appetites. I was NOT charged for the plate, and the manager apologized.
One of our group ordered ice cream with Kaluha, but got ice cream with what smelled like Southern Comfort. The bartender brought another and apologized, but it was at least 10 minutes after the other deserts had arrived that the wrong ice cream dish was brought to us. Everyone was done eating, and we waited for them to make it right.
There were some high spots, and a couple real clinkers. The escargot was great, so were the Oysters Rockefeller. Appetizers were marginal at best... I wanted to rate it poor, but that is a bit unfair. It is not what it used to be, and I will not be headed back anytime soon.

1  Thank Rick S