“Small compared to some around the country ... but fun for children!”
Review of Aquarium of Boise

Aquarium of Boise
Ranked #26 of 130 things to do in Boise
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Aquarium of Boise (a 501 (c)3 non-for-profit) is the only place of its kind in Idaho. It is an interactive aquarium where children and adults can touch, feed, and learn about each individual animal. Come be a part of the Aquarium of Boise family, explore the ocean with your own hands, and leave with the greatest memories! Our Mission is to educate and inspire the conservation and enhancement of terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems through hands-on interaction. Regular Admission: Single Adult Admission: $10.00; Children (7- 11): $7.00; Children (3-6): $5.00; Children (2 and under): Seniors (55+): $8.00; Military: $8.00; College Student (w/ ID): $8.00.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Longboat Key, Florida
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“Small compared to some around the country ... but fun for children!”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Our 18 month old grandson loves fish. We are from Florida and are used to very large aquariums, but ... for a state in the middle of the country, far from any ocean, it is nice that someone put together an aquarium so that children can get an up close look at live sea creatures that they otherwise might never see. We were surprised that for such a small place they have a rather large indoor tank with quite a variety of fish swimming that can be viewed as well as all the smaller tanks they have. Our grandson enjoyed reaching for and touching the rays in their tank as well.
This aqarium is very small in an industrial area, as mentioned before, in a small strip center. However, it is very close to the interstate (and the mall) and very easy to find. If you are going to be in Boise for the day anyway, this would be an easy side trip. We came at 2:30 in the afternoon and it was not too crowded. The parking lot is small, so if it were packed with cars or buses, that would be a clue that it was very crowded and I would try another day.
Even though our grandson is only 18 months old, he had a ball and we were very careful with him, he is our responsibility to watch out for, not the staff's. We spent a little over an hour here and he could have stayed longer he loves the fish so much. He will be able to visit aquariums in Florida when he comes to visit there, but I am glad there is a place way out here in Idaho that he can enjoy and learn from.

At $9.00 for adults, this is not really a lot compared to other aquariums around the country that are a bit larger. I would not bother with a season pass if I lived out here though. It would be nice if they were to invest the funds they make into eventually growing into a larger facility. If you were to put this next to a larger aquarium like some of the ones in our home state, I would say it was terrible, but ... there is nothing else like it out here, so for that reason, I would have to say it is very good.

Visited August 2013
8 Thank shelbee67

Boise, Idaho, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fun for a family & small kids!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This was a fun place to take my son, we really enjoyed feeding the stingrays! It cost $3 for 4 little fish. The other tank has tropical fish & you can get a little cup full of shrimp for $3 also & feed them. Then there are iguanas, lizzards, a turtle, octopus, eels, a touch tank etc. This place is not real big, & only takes about an hour or two to go thru, but they have done a nice job with providing interesting & fun things for people to enjoy. Our cousins are in town & we are taking them here for her little kids to see. This is a nice little aquarium for Boise & the more people that visit the better it will get.

Visited July 2013
5 Thank Lauri H
Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A great place to go”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My children loved this place. Our favorite part was when we feed the stingrays fish, we were able to pet them and they loved it. The stingrays would come up to you and want to be touched! I thought it would have been a bigger place full of more animals but it was still a great place to go. We must have stayed 2 hours and most of our time was spend with the stingrays!

1 Thank OregonTrish
Merrillville, Indiana
140 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 298 helpful votes
“Not much to see”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Unfortunately, there wasn't much to see at the Idaho Aquarium. It's very small and not many animals on exhibit. The only good thing they had was the lorikeet exhibit, where lorikeets can be fed nectar in the enclosure. Other than that, this is one place you'll want to skip. Just not worth visiting.

1 Thank birdlady07
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Nice little place for Boise.”
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Me, my wife and kid went here for something to do while in Boise. It is small as people pointed out over and over again in these reviews. I stayed an hour mostly because my son actually takes an interest in marine life and is knowledgeable about the different species. I will say it is the only aquarium that I've been to that allows you to feed fish by hand and pet them. We all had fun doin that. The stingrays were awesome and actually came up to us so we could pet them. Never experienced that personally and thought it was pretty great. Some said this place was out of the way to drive there. I stayed at the Grove in the middle of downtown and it took me prob 10 min to get to the aquarium. not even worth complaining about. I waited in line at the olive garden 4 times longer than that. I hope this place gets the revenue off the $9 a person so they can expand. Could grow into a great attraction for Boise.

4 Thank nvdsl99