Review Highlights
Delicious and inexpensive baked potatoes in the cafe

We stopped based on a recommendation from someone we met at Grand Tetons National Park. For our... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
mvidro
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Interesting look at the lowly potato

A quick stop in to look at the history and evolution of the potato. Probably only 30-60 minutes of... read more

Reviewed October 6, 2018
isaach706
Boise, Idaho

All reviews idaho potato mashers potatoes gift shop hash browns potato head french fries aaa discount fun stop marilyn monroe railroad depot enjoyable visit less than an hour out of state a hoot lots of history worth a stop
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This cute little museum -- which is pretty much the only thing to do in this town! -- located in the old railway station and also serving as the local Chamber of Commerce office, has more to it than I expected. We browsed through it for an hour or two and even my 12 year old enjoyed reading about the history of potato farming, inspecting old photos and antique equipment, and checking out some humorous items like the "world's largest potato crisp." I particularly liked the tuxedo jacket made of burlap potato sacking, and the Dan Quayle exhibit. The little old lady staffing the place was very nice, and (as out of state visitors) we left with a free "Idaho potato pin" and carton of instant hash browns.

1  Thank hollyml_821
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I wanted to see this after driving by a highway sign. Well worth it. There is a huge baked potato sculpture outside the building which the kids love and the museum itself is in an old house beside the railroad tracks. There is every possible thing that you could ever want to know or see in the place, and a good restaurant within walking distance to eat at after the tour.

1  Thank travelkitty50
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This was a cute little museum that is housed in an old railroad station. Trains come by 3 times a day and the building shakes.Antique tools and equipment are on hand and with the old photos that show the history of potato farming and the improvements in equipment. We even received a container of dehydrated hash browns and a referral to Homestead Restaurant for a baked potato lunch!

1  Thank Sue M
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Thiscutre little museum really has a lot of potentials. It has all the knowledge on how to grade a potato and the history. It has the old tools that people used before the machinery stepped in. I think this museum can be even bigger and more interesting if some companies could partner with them. We can't drive a block without seeing McDonald's, Wendy's, Five Guys, etc. All are known for asking "do you want fries with that?" I think it's an opportunity that those company could show how their good fries come about while also helping this museum. But alas, this museum did not have that luxury. I am glad I visited the place and learned a few things about potatoes, I just wished I could learned more about how did that potatoes end up on my table, looking and tasting irresistible.

1  Thank ncip
Reviewed October 2, 2012

it felt like my birthday going to this potato museum it was very small and friendly and they gave us a potato badge and 10 minutes away there a family place called stockmans and they have steak and potatoes

2  Thank Daniel L