“Beautiful hotel and grounds, average rooms”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Young Harris
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this resort for 2 nights in June for a wedding. The hotel and hotel grounds are absolutely beautiful - the golf course is breathtaking and the Sunset Pavilion (where the wedding took place) had stunning views of the sunset. Everything was very clean and well kept. We had a delicious breakfast in the main dining room one morning, the prices were very fair for a hotel. The main bar in the hotel, Brassies, stayed open late after the wedding for everyone, which was a great place to continue our party! There were so many other activities to take advantage of at the resort and the nearby area - horseback riding, spa, hiking, etc. this resort is a great place to spend a vacation in the Georgia Mountains. The staff was incredible as well.

My only complaint about this resort are the rooms themselves. While clean and nicely appointed (although they could stand to be updated), they are incredibly humid. The bed felt damp as I got into it each night. I thought it may have just been my room with the humidity issue, but other guests there for the wedding had the same issue. The rooms definitely need dehumidifiers.

Despite the humidity issue, I would still recommend staying at this resort, it is just so beautiful! I would just bring a portable dehumidifier next time.

• Stayed: June 2013
BrasstownStaff, General Manager at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and your kind words!! I am glad that you and the entire wedding party had a great visit. I am proud to be one of Georgia's top wedding venues. On behalf of the resort we would be pleased to be your destination of choice for many years to come!

Regards,

6321 Highway 76Young Harris, Georgia 30582
tel (706) 379-4600 fax (706) 379-9999

There are newer reviews for Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa

Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at the Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa. Definitely nestled in the northern Georgia Mountains the resort is warm, welcoming and friendly. A great place to get away from it all. You choose to relax & rejuvenate or take advantage of numerous outdoor activities. The room accommodations are very comfortable and we especially like the porch overlooking the pool with some great mountain views. Plus there are some terrific swings for resting and watching the sunset behind the mountains. The breakfast buffet is excellent with a wide array of hot and cold items. Sandwiches in Brassies are very good and the perfect place to chill out after our game of golf on their challenging golf course. Note it is not mountain golf but more rolling hills golf with plenty of bunkers and large greens. Plus they have a good indoor/outdoor pool. It is a great get-a-way Resort.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms are nice with great views of the mountains. The 3rd floor level or above will hav...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
BrasstownStaff, General Manager at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review. I am happy to read that your experience was everything you wanted it to be. It is always good to read that our staff are providing the experience we strive everyday to achieve. Our golf course is repeatedly ranked as one of the top courses to play in North Georgia!! Next visit you will have to indulge in our Spa facilities.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

This was my 5th visit and everytime I find I enjoy it even more. The facility is so clean and cozy and staff very friendly. Excellent brunch and sat outside eating dinner watching the sun set behind the mountains, doesn't get better than that.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
BrasstownStaff, General Manager at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Thank you for choosing to continue to stay with us. I agree that the sunsets on the veranda are breath-taking and a great place to unwind and recharge. Brasstown Valley believes in our motto, "Leave your worries at our doorstop." I hope that we will continue to be your choice of a relaxing destination.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance in the future and thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Business meeting with family. Beautiful area in mountains. Have golf, hiking, horseback riding, spa, restaurants and lake nearby. Very clean. Attentive staff. Comfortable bed. Antique shopping nearby.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing Brasstown Valley during your recent conference. I appreciate your positive feedback regarding our facility, staff and amenities. I am delighted that your family was able to join you. It is our mission to provide "magic moments" for our guests which we work hard to deliver each and everyday. We welcome to opportunity to be your resort of choice for many years to come for both business as well as pleasure!

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Just returned from our first trip to this resort. Everything was great. Beautiful property, very friendly staff, great spa and facilities. We really enjoyed walking the wooded trails on the property. Ate at the restaurant for dinner and breakfast - good food and service. We will return to this gem soon.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank davis997

Thank you for choosing Brasstown Valley during your recent getaway. I appreciate your positive feedback regarding our facility and staff. It is our mission to provide "magic moments" for our guests which we work hard to deliver each and everyday. We welcome to opportunity to be your resort of choice for many years to come. Again thank you for being our guest and we look forward to seeing you during your next visit.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

This was not my first visit, but definitely the best, and certainly NOT my last. The staff are so customer service oriented. Everyone I encountered on this visit was fantastic, the bellman crew Alan and Tommy, Chad at the reception desk, Lisa in housekeeping, Ellen in Brassi's grill, and one young lady in the dining room, whose name I did not get. She will no doubt remember me. She was compensated very well for her attention to detail, kindness and outstanding customer service. I will absolutely return again.

Room Tip: A balcony room can be fun in the right weather
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
BrasstownStaff, General Manager at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to complete a review and your glowing comments. It is always great to read that our guests are having great experiences here. I will personally thank each of the staff members you mention as well. It is my pleasure to have you stay with us and I hope you continue to make us your destination of choice for many years to come!!

6321 Highway 76-Young Harris, Georgia 30582
tel (706) 379-4600 -fax (706) 379-9999
cburton@brasstownvalley.com

Reviewed June 2, 2013

My wife, daughter and I have developed a tradition of spending Thanksgiving in a mountain “lodge.” We began that tradition when we lived in California, with a Thanksgiving stay at the beautiful Awahanee Hotel in Yosemite Valley. Through the years, we have spent Thanksgiving in numerous national park lodges in the western United States, but since moving to the southeast, we have only found one place that fits the bill. This was our sixth visit to Brasstown Valley Lodge, and the fourth for the four-day Thanksgiving weekend. This year was our most enjoyable stay here ever.

The main lobby is reminiscent of some of the great Southern Pacific Railroad lodges still found in some of the western national parks. Granted, it is considerably smaller in scale when compared to most of those grand lodges, but it still exudes that same western rustic lodge atmosphere, especially around the big stone fireplace in the center of the lobby.

We have stayed in a number of different rooms in previous trips, and for this trip, we stayed in one of the five one-bedroom suites. It was worth the extra money, although there was no view from the room. I did a little research, and found that two of the suites have balconies facing towards the west, but no fireplaces, and the other three face north on the end of the building and have gas log fireplaces, but no balconies. As far as I could tell, all of the suites have similar floor-plans.

The suites are quite roomy. Ours had a 270 sq. ft. bedroom with a separate closet/dressing area, a bathroom, a 270 sq. ft. living room with the fireplace, a good sized entry, and a small room off the entry with a wet bar, cabinets, and a small refrigerator. I measured a total of 726 interior square feet of floor space. We had a single forced air HVAC unit with vents in both rooms which was fine for us, and made little or no noise.

The regular rooms either face the golf course to the west, or the parking lot to the east. Some have balconies, some have fireplaces, and some have neither. At least some of the rooms on the end of the building closest to the lobby are corner rooms with windows on two sides. We stayed in one of those rooms on a previous stay, and it was also very nice, but much smaller than the suites.

There is one minor drawback to this lodge, especially for those who are not very mobile. Plan to walk a lot if you stay here. The parking lot, although free, is a pretty good hike from the front door, even to the closest parking spots. If you get stuck parking at the top of the lot, the walk to the front entrance can be as much as 250 yards. Valet parking is offered, but I think it probably takes forever if the hotel is crowded. On Thanksgiving, the place was packed, and there was no separate parking available for hotel guests versus nearby residents who came for dinner, making parking very difficult for folks who arrived later in the day. I saw some cars parked along the roadside more than ½ mile from the entrance. I think they may have run golf carts to shuttle some people in to dinner. They served over 1000 Thanksgiving dinners, but there are only 134 rooms and cottages. There were a lot of outsiders there for Thanksgiving dinner. To exacerbate the walking problem is the fact that there is only one accessible entrance to the hotel - the main entry - which was another 120 yards from our room. It was 80 yards from our room to the elevator and 40 more yards to the main front entrance. There are no rooms further from the entrance than ours was, but even the closest ones require a 50 yard hike from the hotel entrance. There is a back door down the stairs at the north end of the building that is much closer to the parking lot, but it automatically locks, and the room key does not open it. If you have a lot of luggage, there is no self-service cart available, so you must use a bellman, if one is available. There are only a couple of them, and they also greet the arriving cars.

The lodge was well decorated for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. As we have seen on previous visits, they set up tables in the lower lobby adjacent to the golf & gift shop where gingerbread houses and villages made by local school children are displayed. Some of them are very elaborate, especially the large village with an electric train passing through it. Both kids and adults are always attracted to the display.

The golf course is beautiful, and despite what one of the waiters said, it is NOT forgiving! Lots of bunkers, lots of water, and some tight fairways. It was in great condition, even though the Bermuda fairways were dormant. From the back tees, it’s over 7000 yards, and about 6600 from the blue tees which my daughter and I played. In winter, with very little roll, it plays pretty long. Visually, it is a magnificent layout, even in dormancy.

The resort sits off the main highway and is accessible by two roads: the main entrance, a split boulevard that winds through the property; as well as a back service entrance that is faster. The main entrance route is very scenic, but after you have seen it, try the service entrance to save time.

En route to the lodge via the split boulevard entrance described above, you will pass the entrance to the stables. For those of you who prefer traveling on the back of an animal, the stable area appears to be well appointed and quite substantial. Personally, I prefer to travel on four wheels behind a V12 engine, so we did not visit the stables this trip.

There is a spa associated with the resort located on the other side of the main highway from the hotel entrance about a 5 minute drive from the hotel parking lot. We have never used it. My wife went inside to check it out, and noted that it is very nice, but quite pricey.

There are hiking trails on campus, a nice workout room, and an indoor pool. It may be open-air in the summer. There are a couple of pool tables (complimentary) in Brassie’s Bar and Grill downstairs beneath the lobby, adjacent to the golf shop and gift shop. There is a ping-pong table out by the pool area.

The general manager was very accessible throughout our entire stay. We ran into him everywhere - even in the parking lot. He was very “hands-on,” probably due to the huge Thanksgiving crowds, and his involvement showed. He and his staff did a great job under difficult circumstances with the tremendous dinner crowds.

The food is good, and our service was usually great, with a couple of exceptions. Four days at the same restaurant, meal-after-meal can get old, but we took some side trips to nearby towns, and had some variety.

Our only real complaint was the fact that a fairly large craft fair was held at the resort over Thanksgiving weekend from Friday until Sunday afternoon. It seemed like everyone from nearby Young Harris, Georgia was in attendance. Consequently, the parking lot remained packed even after Thanksgiving, and the hallways and the meeting room areas were jammed with vendors and customers. I wish they would have waited one week to hold the fair. It would have made our Friday, Saturday and Sunday a lot more enjoyable.

Brasstown is a great family oriented facility. There are lots of activities available for all ages, and the lodge is located far enough off the highway to seem totally isolated. You cannot help but relax here! Until such time as we discover a better place, we will continue to consider this place the best “lodge” in the southeast. We already have reservations for next Thanksgiving. I’ll try to remember to write my review a little quicker!

Room Tip: The 5 one bedroom suites are very roomy!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 275GTB4
BrasstownStaff, General Manager at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay. I agree that our resort is a special place in one of the most scenic areas of Georgia. Your kind words regarding our staff, facilities and food will be shared with the staff who work everyday to create warm welcomes, magic moments and fond farewells each day. We look forward to continuing to be your home away from home during the holiday's!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Young Harris
Hampton Inn Helen
Hampton Inn Helen
#3 of 19 in Helen
Holiday Inn Express Helen

Been to Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!