“Don't Risk It”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Young Harris
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I had never tried Brasstown, so when I got a travelzoo notice about a voucher there, a couple of my girlfriends and I decided to try it. The strangeness started at the booking. Once I said I was a travelzoo customer, I was told there were no rooms--except I had confirmed availability in advance online. During the conversation I specified the type of room about three times and it was repeated back to me at the end. When I arrived I was greeted by a front desk clerk who was very polite until I mentioned the type of room I was supposed to have and then her mood immediately went dark and it was down hill from there. My email confirmation had no notation of the type of room, so she was asking the other worker if he remembered making the booking---why would he (he was the same person though). I guess my word wasn't enough. She finally told me she "bumped someone out of their room" to give me the room I reserved when she gave me my keys, so clearly angry that she barely acknowledged me. In all my travels, that was definitely the nastiest and least understandable attitude I have encountered. The rest of the day I was irritated--an interaction like that can put a damper on things. Bottom line: The grounds are pretty but if I had paid full price for the room I would have been disappointed. Certain areas like the restaurants and pool seemed less than clean. The rooms are your standard holiday inn fare. Of course MY room was dark and faced a dirty playground...I knew I would have the worst room before I even opened the door, so I had to chuckle when I got there. If the hotel doesn't care about making a good impression on people trying them out, will they care about your out of town family party? I also knew I would have an incorrect charge on my folio and voila! there it was like clockwork--a 69 dollar unexplained "travelzoo" charge that makes no sense since those bookings are prepaid. It all smelled strongly of payback for some baffling offense. Even though I planned to sleep in, I had to march down at 6am in hopes of getting a nicer person and encountered Diana who was lovely and immediately fixed the issue. I encountered another nice person on check out, Randy. However, I wouldn't risk my family trip or wedding... Who knows how you will be treated--it's a 50/50 crap shoot. Go somewhere else, like Cuscowilla or the Ritz on Lake Oconee--consistently nice people and a good value.

2  Thank wilcox109
BrasstownStaff, General Manager at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Thank you for selecting Brasstown Valley Resort for your recent girl friends trip. I sincerely apologize that we failed to deliver a positive experience.

I was disappointing to read that one of our desk staff was rude, that our facility appeared to be dirty and that we mishandled your charges. We should have handled your concerns professionally and to your satisfaction. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly to personally apologize and identify which staff member created the negative experience. I was pleased to read that Diana resolved the matter to your satisfaction. I will personally thank Randy for providing a positive experience as well.

It is my hope that you will allow me the opportunity to address the concerns and return again in the future.

cburton@brasstownvalley.com

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed in the suite this weekend. It was fantastic. The massages at the spa, the dinner and breakfast at the resort. The staff was very professional and helpful. We are truly looking forward to our return trip. I highly recommend checking out this resort. You must call reservations to get the suite. It is worth its weight in gold!!!!

Room Tip: Spend the extra money, stay in the suite at Equani. TRUST ME!!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dhymanga
BrasstownStaff, General Manager at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay. I agree that our Spa Suite is a special place in one of the most scenic areas of Georgia. Your kind words regarding our staff, facilities and food will be shared with the staff who work everyday to create warm welcomes, magic moments and fond farewells each day.

Charles.Burton@Brasstownvalley.com

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Our daughter had her wedding and reception at the Sunset pavilion at Brasstown Valley Resort in Young Harris,Ga. Everything was perfect! Setting, food and staff were fabulous!!!! Best wedding ever!!!!!!Ashley, wedding planner was amazing!!!!!!!

catherine

1  Thank catherine c

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very pleased to read that your daughter's wedding was all that you ever imagined for this special day and that you were made to feel "Special". We pride ourselves on providing our guests with a place to "Leave your worries at our door". We look forward to being your destination of choice for years to come!

Thank You Again!!

cburton@brasstownvalley.com

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Spent a night here whilst visiting Atlanta - lovely room in one of the lodges, spacious, comfortable, quiet - really excellent. Food a little disappointing but everything else was brilliant. My husband also used the stables and had an excellent ride in the mountains. Recommended.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Maureen I

Thank you for choosing Brasstown Valley during your recent getaway. I appreciate your positive feedback regarding our facility, yet disappointed that your dining experience was not up to your expectation or our standards. We welcome to opportunity to be your resort of choice for many years to come. Again thank you for being our guest and we look forward to seeing you during your next visit.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance in the future and thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My sons, mom, and I have been here many times. We love the trains, access to the lake for skiing, many great restaurants, horse back riding, and great golf. there is something to do for all ages and even checkers on the porch. I love the laid back country get away feel I get here every time. Customer service needs to be more attentive, but the resorts beauty makes up for the lack of 5 star service.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank GSU320
BrasstownStaff, General Manager at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review. I am happy to read that your experience was everything you wanted it to be. It is always good to read that our staff are providing the experience we strive everyday to achieve.

It is my pleasure to have you stay with us and I hope you continue to make us your destination of choice for many years to come!!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My friend and I, living in different states, try to meet halfway every few months. We chose Brasstown Resort and Spa. We stayed in a cabin on the property. I was pleasantly surprised on arrival. The cabin was spacious, the grounds lovely, and the Lodge was breathtaking. There is a fireplace that must be at least thirty feet tall that goes soaring through the wooden plank ceiling, which has quite an intricate pattern in the woodworking. The restaurant had good quality food. Brassie's Grill offered sandwiches and your typical bar menu items. There is much to do - from horseback riding - to hiking - to enjoying the Spa- to doing nothing at all and enjoying the surroundings. Quite beautiful! The biggest drawback is the driving TO the resort: lots of hills and curvy roads.

Room Tip: We took a small dog and stayed in a cabin area a short distance away from the Lodge so we drove back...
1  Thank Nancy37129

Thank you for choosing Brasstown Valley during your recent getaway. I appreciate your positive feedback regarding our facility, staff and food. It sounds like you truly had a chance to unwind and enjoy your stay in one of our cottages. It is our mission to provide "magic moments" for our guests which we work hard to deliver each and everyday.

Charles.Burton@Brasstownvalley.com

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I would give our stay at this resort 4-4.5 stars.

On: Absolutely beautiful surroundings in the Georgia foothills and the main lobby at the resort is quite cozy and inviting. The staff was extremely friendly and professional. I felt that the base rate for the rooms was on par with the value we received. The pool was nice and the pool chairs looked brand new and in great shape. The grounds were well maintained. The dining rooms both served tasty food and you could order as healthy (or not) as you wanted. The fireplaces were great! The golf course was scenic and challenging with some of the hardest rough I've ever played on (lost a few balls to the golf fairies). Loved the pool tables in the bar, very fun! Gym was adequate for a couple of workouts. Sometimes it seems that when we use deal coupons on getaways we get stuck in a subpar room or location, but we had a wonderful.patio room overlooking the pool.

Off: When we were here the resort was a ghost town so the morning and evening buffets were closed. I was really looking forward to eating a variety of food but we were limited to the bar selections (which are good) and 4-5 main entrees in the pub. The resort and its rooms are showing its age, could definitely use a renovation with some new paint, carpets, lights, brochures, etc. The drinks were pricey (although the food prices were good for a captive audience). Would have liked a few more choices for 'activities' and things to do on the grounds...as it stands I probably would have been bored if I had stayed longer than 2-3 days. Also, the activities and spa seemed a bit overpriced and I probably would have spent more money overall if they were less expensive.

Room Tip: Make sure to stop in Helen, GA just SE of Young Harris! What a trip!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bryan R
BrasstownStaff, General Manager at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Thank you for choosing to spend time at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa.

I appreciate your positive feedback regarding our facility, staff, amenities and surroundings. I must say that I have lost a few golf balls to the golf fairies as well.

I apologize for the inconveniences created by rotating the hours of operation during the slower months. We are continuously updating the property which includes paint, carpet, furnishings and marketing materials. At this point, we have replaced guest room furniture, added 42" flat screen TV's, replaced lodge guest room carpet, the lobby furniture, painted the exterior of the building and stained many of the wooden walls throughout the property. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly to ensure that your specific concerns with the resort condition are addressed.

We take great pride in Brasstown and look forward to your return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Young Harris
Valhalla Resort Hotel
#4 of 18 in Helen
Unicoi State Park & Lodge
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Helen

Been to Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!