“Second Stay here; still nice but with problems”

Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Young Harris
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights recently with our baby. This was my second time here. We stayed in one of the cabins. I still overall like the property, and the staff is generally friendly and helpful, but the housekeeping and facility were not up to the price. There was coffee in the room but no creamer/sugar (when we arrived and after the housekeeper cleaned the room). The shampoo and soaps were not replaced when the room was cleaned. The carpet was fraying in the room and something sharp in it cut our baby's foot when she was crawling on it. The walls are VERY thin. The first night we had no neighbors in the cabin and it was nice and quiet and we very much enjoyed the peace of the room and the fireplace. The second night we were kept up all night with the neighbor's blaring TV; we could hear everything they were saying as the walls are so thin. At one point I was in the bathroom and could not tell if my husband was talking to me through the door or I was hearing the neighbor in the next room.

Also, the sauna in the ladies locker took about 2 hours to heat to 160 degrees (lowest suggested heat level) and never got up over about 162 degrees. So I spent a lot of time trying to get the sauna to work and it never got up to proper heat levels. The staff did try to help right away when I asked for help.

We ate in both restaurants. The fried fish in the Brassies restaurant was very overfried, and the pasta in the upstairs restaurant was overcooked at the lunch buffet. The staff was quite helpful and friendly.

We may give this place another try sometime, but we will likely look for another alternative next time that we are in the area.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KAF32082
BrasstownStaff, General Manager at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback regarding your recent visit at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa. I appreciate your specific observations regarding our accommodations and resort amenities. I apologize that we failed to deliver a seamless experience.
The problems with your room should not have occurred and I will personally address the cleaning, replenishing of amenities, frayed carpet and the sharp item that cut your babies foot with my housekeeping team. I hope your baby is okay?
The paper thin walls are being addressed by installing sound proofing material this winter.
The sauna and food quality concerns (shared on Trip Advisor) have been addressed as well.
I apologize again for the inconveniences that we caused and I do hope that you will consider returning to Brasstown in the future. I appreciate the opportunity you have provided by contacting me directly this morning.

There are newer reviews for Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa

Reviewed December 30, 2012

My Wife and I stayed at the resort in October of 2012 for an overnight get away. We have been to the Resort before for Wedding and work offsite sessions. Overall it was a very good experience - the room was clean and the service was good. The rooms in the main building are getting a little dated, but they are still well kept. What really makes this Inn work is there are a number of great local activities to do - horse back riding, Winery close by - Crane Creek, Golf , etc. If you arrive on a Friday book at late dinner at the Inn (generally served buffet style but overall the food is very good), plan on Golf or Horse Back riding on Saturday morning, Winery in the afternoon, and dinner nearby at one of the local places and you will have a relaxing weekend. This will not be a 5 star pamper experience, but a will be a relaxing weekend get away!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
BrasstownStaff, General Manager at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the activities in the surrounding area as well as our activities. As you state there is alot to do in our area and I encourage all of our guests to experience it. Beginning in January 2013 we will be upgrading our rooms with 42" TVs as well as new furniture. I hope you will stay with us again and enjoy our new offereings.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We don't live far from the resort, but find it a perfect place to get away for some rest and relaxation. Once again, in early December, we spent another anniversary weekend there. We were upgraded to a suite when I mentioned it was our 38th anniversary. We were not disappointed by the room or the service we received at all. Perhaps the living room furniture could have been more comfortable, but I understand there will be renovations started in early 2013. I read some reviews that felt the resort was outdated. All I can say is that we have never been disappointed, and the future renovations will only be a plus. I am looking forward to our next stay!

Room Tip: Of course I would suggest on a room with a view of the mountains, not the parking lot!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
BrasstownStaff, Manager at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your 38th anniversary with us!! It is an honor to share in your happy event. I look forward to hearing how you like the changes we are making to the rooms beginning in January 2013. I look forward to having you stay with us on your 39th anniversary and many more to come.

Congratulations,

Reviewed December 25, 2012

Brasstown Valley Resort was fantastic again this year. We arrived Christmas Eve at 3p.m. Our room was ready (the room I had requested). The fireplace was relaxing, as always and everyone wanted to help our stay be as nice as possible.

I want to think Camden (waiter), Beth (waitress), Jessica (front desk), Donna (? front desk supervisor) and Michael at the upstairs bar. All of these people, and the bellhops along with the maintenance workers smiled the whole time we were there. Carrie, in the dining room, was her usual helpful and kind self as was Ellen in Brassies.

We were only able to stay one night this time but, as we were leaving, they were putting urns of hot cider and hot chocolate in the huge den around the fireplace. That is a great way to warm people's bodies and souls.

We shall be back.

I did miss the man playing the keyboard on Christmas Eve this year. Last year it was so entertaining.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the mountains.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

I want to personally thank you for your repeat business and glowing reviews. It is always great to read that guest are returning and having great experiences here. I will the let staff you mentioned in your review know that they did an outstanding job for you during your stay. It is my pleasure to have you stay with us and I hope you continue to make us your destination of choice for many years to come!!

Reviewed December 14, 2012

The Friday Night seafood buffett cannot be beat. Everything from mussels,clams,oysters,crab legs, salmon,fish,beef too. desserts galore too. Its pricey at $36.0 but I can get my moneys worth on the crab legs alone. The qualit of the food is what makes it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
BrasstownStaff, General Manager at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Thank you for the raving review of our seafood buffet!! It is a local favorite as well.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Had fun. felt safe . very few thinks to do outside of resort we went to Apple place. It was ok. It did have a great consignment shop down the road. It was about the only place to get clothes. Also drove 2 highest point in ga. It was fun

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay! I am glad to read you had a great stay and look forward to being your destination of choice for years to come!!

Reviewed December 1, 2012

My stay at Brasstown Valley was great! We stayed in a cottage and it exceeded our expectations. The room was clean with a pleasant smell when we entered. The parlor was nice and big. The kitchen was clean and up to date. The beds slept well and the pillows were nice too. The Christmas decorations were beautiful in the lodge and on the grounds. The big fire place made the lobby area so cozy and welcoming. The staff were very helpful and accommodating. We are already making arrangements to return in February for a couples getaway and a girl's spa retreat. Brasstown Valley is a gem in the North Georgia Mountains. I'm glad I stumbled across it.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank RavenwoodUnionCity
BrasstownStaff, General Manager at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Thank you for the kind words regarding your stay. I am pleased to read that you are coming back to stay with us again. Christmas is a magical time at the resort and we love to share that magic. I am glad you stumbled accross us. I look forward to Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa being your destination of choice for a long time to come!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Young Harris
Hampton Inn Helen
Hampton Inn Helen
#3 of 19 in Helen
Holiday Inn Express Helen

Been to Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!