“A Varied Experience”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Young Harris
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Me and my wife decided to visit this resort for our anniversary the week after Christmas. We were slightly worried after reading a few of the reviews but decided that the positive outweighed the negative and needed a couple of days to ourselves. We stayed at the main lodge so this review only concerns the lodge and its rooms, not the cottages located on site. We did drive past the cottages and they looked nice from the exterior.

As I am an engineer I tend to be better writing in black and white terms and then adding comments, so that is how I am going to do this review:

The Good:

All facilities appear to be well maintained and clean.

Very nice exterior landscaping, walkways and sitting areas.

Nice view of the valley and distant mountains from the rear facing rooms and common areas.
(Note: Odd number rooms face the valley while even number rooms face the front toward the parking lot and woods.)

Very nice entry gathering room with large center fireplace. Lodge like exposed beams and wood paneling.

Very nice valet, they were never rude or impatient and offered help all the time.

Well run stables and helpful staff at the stables.

Cons:

Slightly worn furnishings. No worse than other well used hotels, but should be updated sooner rather than later.

Lack of staff. (Was told that they were on reduced staff since first of December and it showed.) The lack of help in the dining room showed with long wait times, staff who were rushed and a general "you are bothering me attitude."

Only one person at the front desk for check in or out. When two people were there one was constantly on the phone. Was told twice to hold on while they took phone calls and took care of other business while we stood waiting. I understand you need to have patience sometimes but it took at least and extra 10min. to check in due to the staff taking care of other concerns while we were checking in.

NO, NO, NO sound proofing between rooms. As other people have said it is very true. We could very clearly hear the conversation of the people of the room next to ours, especially at 11:30pm on our last night when they came in with two screaming children and slammed their door three of four times. Loud enough to wake me up with a startle and to hear the mom trying to tell everyone to quiet down or they were going to wake the neighbors. (Too late.)

Never could talk to a manager about the noise or staff issues due to them being constantly on the phone or taking care of other issues. Upon checking out at the front desk tried to ask but they were busy, and the girl behind the desk was to busy to help and again had the "please leave I have other things to finish" attitude.

The inflated prices of EVERYTHING. We got a good deal on the room but the resort more than made up for it with the cost of other items. The cheapest coffee my wife could find was $2.50 a cup. A service fee was added to all items and then a tip was recommended. I dont mind tipping, I try to tip extra as I was in the service industry before, but after being charged 20% on top of the inflated bill, then asked to tip another 20% was irritating after a time. A review of our bill showed an additional $145 worth of tips and service charges over a two day stay, not including the inflated cost of food, drinks and services.

During busy times the wait to eat at the on site dining was excessive. We were only able to eat in house on the first day due to this. The second day the dining room was full from 9am to 11am for breakfast and 7pm to 9pm for dinner. The downstairs grill was full for dinner with no seats open. We did find a nice place to eat called "Chops" down the road toward the lake.

Summary:

As in most cases one negative out weighs two positives but its hard not to ignore the size of the negatives in relation to the positives. The room noise issue is a huge problem. I have designed many hotels in the course of my career and the sound proofing of our room was inadequate. At the worst in a normal room you should only be able to hear a muffled sound from a room next door, maybe a mummer of the TV or occasion door closing. To be able to hear and clearly understand your neighbors conversation is not acceptable. This is an issue that can not be easily fixed.

Be prepared to pay inflated price for everything.

Be prepared to be a nuisance to most of the staff except for the valets. They were very nice and I was happy to tip them whenever possible.

I would love to come back because I love being outdoors and love a lodge feel, but the negatives are just too large to ignore.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Michael N
BrasstownStaff, General Manager at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2012

The Good:
We do work hard to take care of the asset and the stables. I appreciate your comments regarding our valet staff.

Cons:
We are in the process of a multi-year Capital refurbishment which includes furnishings.
Staffing adjustments are made for slower times but should be transparent to our guests. I apologize that this did not happen and I will address future scheduling with a focus on eliminating similar occurrences.
We have began installing sound proofing materials in our lodge and cabin rooms. It is my hope that this process will eliminate future noise concerns.
A manager should have been available to you and the desk clerk should have been polite and willing to help. I would like to know more regarding your attempts to speak with a manager and the specifics regarding the desk associate if you have time to discuss so that I may address each accordingly.
Our prices are based on many factors and are consistent with industry pricing. We do charge a 20% tip for our wait staff, spa staff and stables staff, this is communicated during the reservations process and in the confirmation letter with hopes of preventing any concerns or confusion. I don't recall seeing any guests bill having $145 in tips over a two day stay, which does seem high. I would gladly review your bill with you if you have time to discuss.
Again, I will work with my team to ensure that we have the appropriate staffing in our dining outlets.

I agree with you that the noise from other guests is a problem. As stated, we are trying to address this concern by adding sound proofing materials to our lodge and cabin rooms. The time you spent to share the good and cons is appreciated. I will discuss the specifics with my team to address the both the good and the cons. I hope you will reconsider not returning given that I can assure you that your experience, while not to your expectations, is not consistent with a typical Brasstown Valley visit.

Charles Burton
6321 US Hwy 76
Young Harris, GA 30582
Direct Line 706-379-4600
Fax 706-379-9999
Charles.Burton@Brasstownvalley.com
Please feel free to contact me or provide me your contact information so that I may gather more information and attempt to regain your business.

Reviewed January 1, 2012

We took a little day trip up to Brasstown Resort for lunch. We dined at the Main Dining Room. They offered a lunch pasta bar buffet which my husband and his brother enjoyed. The rest of our group opted for lunches off the main menu. What a HUGE mistake. I ordered the grilled chicken breast sandwich. I lifted the bun off and I declared, "Where's the chicken"? The sandwich tasted awful. It was served on some multi-grain roll which had a funny taste as well. So after discarding the bun, I was left with a TINY amount of chicken, lettuce and tomato. My mother-in-law ordered the salmon sandwich which was dry with little to no taste. My sister-in-law ordered the Grouper sandwich which came with the same funky tasting roll. I guess the moral of the story is to get the pasta bar and do not order off the menu. I was SO disappointed with the quality and taste. I will not return.

3  Thank KATHY H
BrasstownStaff, General Manager at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2012

Thank you for being our guest and for sharing your comments regarding our Main Dining Room.

I was pleased to read that your husband and his brother enjoyed our pasta bar for lunch. I was disappointed to read that you, your mother-in-law and sister-in-law did not care for your sandwiches. We have a standard size specification for our sandwiches which shouldn't leave anyone declaring "Where's the chicken" and they should always taste good. The bread on the other two sandwiches is a Ciabatta bread which is normally enjoyed so there must have been a problem on that particular day.

I would like to opportunity to address your concerns at your convenience. Please feel free to call or e-mail.

Charles Burton
6321 US Hwy 76
Young Harris, GA 30582
Direct Line 706-379-4600
Fax 706-379-9999
Charles.Burton@Brasstownvalley.com

Reviewed December 30, 2011

I have been going to Brasstown since it was built and it only gets better. The staff is ready and willing to do anything you need or want. The view is outstanding and there is a sense of peace surrounding the estate. The food is first class and tasty in the dining room. Brassies, downstairs, is a good sportsbar with a variety of sandwiches including wraps that are great. We will be going back. Christmas Eve there was a musician playing a keyboard and singing in the great room in front of the fire. He was a jolly elf and very kind to play people's requests and he had a wide variety of music.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good view which would be rooms 201, 301, 401 or 501. From the room's balc...
1  Thank Carmie60
Reviewed December 29, 2011

My husband and I are Marriott / Ritz-Carlton regulars but the location options for the Marriott / RC chain in the N GA Mountains are limited. We decided to stay at Brasstown Resort for a get-away and were absolutely blown away by the resort and service. Our room had a lovely balcony view; the room was spacious and extremely comfortable/clean; the indoor pool/hot tub was wonderful on a rainy day; room service was prompt and food was hot / fresh; the lobby and fireplace a comfortable place to sit and enjoy the stunning mountain views; the free wi-fi is a wonderful amenity. The property itself is gorgeous and well-maintained. Every single staff member was extremely helpful and professional. The food was really good, although limited options available for vegetarians. We will definitely recommend Brasstown and will be back again! I would give this resort 4.5 stars (if I could...).

Room Tip: Request a room with a balcony... stunning views!
1  Thank ellie_pc
Reviewed December 27, 2011

I bought a Groupon coupon for my parents' birthday for a stay at this property, sight unseen. They so loved it! Went on and on about how good the food was and how beautiful the property was. They said it was nice to just sit in the beautiful lobby. My children both took the two hour horseback rides and loved it.

I would highly recommend this property, so glad I they got to experience it!

2  Thank IseeUtraveler
Reviewed December 25, 2011

My husband and I came here for a weekend getaway mid-December for my 40th birthday. We had a wonderful stay and thoroughly enjoyed the ambience of the large fireplace and Christmas decorations. We spent a lot of time relaxing and reading in front of the fireplace. We also went over to the spa for a Couples Massage which was wonderful. The spa/pool at the Spa was out of order but that was fine by us. The massage was very enjoyable.

The couple of constructive feedback comments that I can give to management has to do with the staff and menus at the lodge. We were there for two nights and twice we ran into things that were offered on the menu were not actually available to us. One was a beer in the downstairs bar/restaurant. The answer from the waitress was that the beer my husband requested was no longer served there. Then we went to the dining room the next night and the bottle of wine we ordered with dinner was no longer served as well. Basically we had two choices for wine from what we were told. We made do and enjoyed ourselves but found it ironic that both nights we ran into items on the menu that were no longer available.

My other feedback is that your staff could do a lot more to be available to your customers and therefore, in turn, make your resort more money. We found there was a good 1/2 hour span in the evening (8-9PM) when no one was around at the front desk to answer any questions we had about available activities. Same goes for the wait staff at the lobby bar - she was more interested in closing the bar early than offering us anything to drink.
The only other thing to consider is having a manicure/pedicure person on site. While the spa across the street is wonderful I would have been tempted to get a mani/pedi at the last minute had it been available to me without having to leave the resort.

I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone looking for a quiet retreat from the everyday busyness of life but also believe there is room for improvement in order to make this a top notch getaway resort location. Kudos for what you are doing but think about how to make it better!!

2  Thank scrapbookingmommy
Reviewed December 25, 2011

We had a good stay, the service was good, food was decent, nothing spectaculair, the rooms could use some updating, especially the linens, and indeed as previous reviewers mentioned, the walls are pretty thin, and you can hear your surrounding neighbors well. We had a room with a balcony on the 4th floor with a great view.

The equani Spa was excellent and highly recommended.

3  Thank afranssen
Hampton Inn Helen
Hampton Inn Helen
#3 of 19 in Helen
Holiday Inn Express Helen

Been to Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!