“Amazing place in the middle of nowhere”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Young Harris
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Amazing place in the middle of nowhere”
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We stayed here over the weekend with our two daughters. We loved it. The resort itself is beautiful and is elegant yet rustic. The rooms are very well appointed. The public areas are gorgeous. The pool area is nice albeit small. The surrounding area is very interesting but not much to do outside of woodsy-outdoorsy stuff. It is a very direct route from Atlanta.

The resort is somewhat rustic. Service is great but somewhat limited given its location. I could not get my suit pressed for example.

The food was adequate. I expected nice country cooking but it was instead a bit institutional. I am a vegetarian and inquired if lard was in the biscuits served at breakfast and was told that they were Pillsbury!

The surrounding area and the grounds are immaculate and beautiful.

A major plus was the cost. I would rate the resort as extremely inexpensive when compared with comparable resorts in other parts of the country. I kept waiting for some shoe to drop but when I got my final bill it was at least a third less than I expected before arriving.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We stayed at Brasstown Valley Resort to attend a friend's wedding. Our reservation was made well in advance, but I assume since we stayed one night only, we were not on the priority list for a room with a view, which I did request. The hotel staff at check in was friendly, and we made it to our room quickly with no issues.

The room itself was what I'd describe as "basic". Upon entering, there was a faint musty odor, I assume from the air conditioning, or the fact that we were on the north side of the property and the room never saw the sun. The furnishings were fine, if a little dated. The windows overlooked a playground, which fortunately no one used during our stay. There was a curtain rod and no drapes either. Tiny, lumpy pillows. GREAT towels in the bathroom though.

Other than the bellman and the desk staff, the rest of the staff in the hotel was surly at best. The banquet staff at the reception was minimally polite, but the food was very good. There was also no shortage of appetizers during the cocktail hour, and the bar was well stocked. We went to the casual bar next to the pro-shop after the wedding reception, and the waitress was not at all friendly, not at all attentive, and generally unpleasant. We ended up settling our tab at the bar, not with her because she was nowhere to be found.

All in all, the resort was nice, but I think it needs some updating and a little bit of staff training. The location is good, the property is pretty. It has great potential. I can see it being a good site for a business meeting because there isn't too much to do in the area that would draw attendees away from the meetings. I imagine in the fall, it is spectacular with all the foliage changing.

Not sure if I'll rush back. It's comparable to Callaway Gardens in price and atmosphere, but I think the Callaway lodge at the Southern Pine is nicer. The pool at Brasstown Valley was tiny too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, definitely!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed September 1, 2011

This was my third stay at Brasstown Valley Resort, and each visit seems better than the one before. It's got to be the best resort most people have never heard about! Top-notch in every respect, so it's hard to pick one aspect to single out. But as a golfer, it's not hard--the golf course ranks with the best I've ever played, plus the staff went out of their way to be helpful. This place is so great that thoughts of moving to Young Harris entry one's mind! (Well, maybe it's not THAT great.)

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. The best choices are probably those with a mountains view
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
BrasstownStaff, Manager at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
Thank you for choosing Brasstown Valley during your recent getaway. I appreciate your positive feedback. It is our mission to provide "magic moments" for our guests which we work hard to deliver each and everyday. We welcome to opportunity to be your resort of choice for many years to come. If your travel plans allow you to return within the next 90 days, we will extend to you a 20% discount on most recent room rate. Again thank you for being our guest and we look forward to seeing you during your next visit.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance in the future and thank you for being our guest.

Kennesaw, Georgia
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We have been to Brasstown Valley several times, and have always had a wonderful experience!!! The staff are always nice. There is so much to do. We are even planning on getting married at the resort next month!!! Renee is FABULOUS & on top of everything!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Cumming, Georgia
Reviewed August 18, 2011

We had such a great time! The scenery and the sunset was absolutely beautiful! The Sunday brunch and the breakfast buffet are to die for! Our room was clean and very spacious. The staff was nice and helpful. We can't wait to visit again in the fall!

Room Tip: The cottages are set back in little wooded areas and are a very short walk to the inn. If you want a...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Maryville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 18, 2011

We went with three other couples to make two foursomes for golf and really enjoyed the experience. The lodge is very nice and the rooms clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. We would highly recommend the lunch salad and pasta buffet in the dining room.
The golf course is excellent. Great design and very well maintained although it is not for begineers.
We would highly recommend Brasstown Valley Resort for anyone looking for a fun golf getaway.

Room Tip: For a little extra you can upgrade to a balcony room. The views are worth it.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
BrasstownStaff, General Manager at Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
Thank you for choosing Brasstown Valley during your recent getaway. I appreciate your positive feedback regarding our facility, staff and food. It is our mission to provide "magic moments" for our guests which we work hard to deliver each and everyday. We welcome to opportunity to be your resort of choice for many years to come. If your travel plans allow you to return within the next 90 days, we will extend to you a 20% discount on most recent room rate. Again thank you for being our guest and we look forward to seeing you during your next visit.

Suwanee, Georgia
Reviewed August 17, 2011

My stay was Fri Aug 12th thru Sun Aug 14th

I traveled with a group of 30 guys on a golf tournament weekend. We arrived Friday morning to check in at around noon. The welcome was nice with attendants opening doors, and Vickie and Cammie in the check in area were cordial, quick, and very efficient. We were ready to head to the cabins within mere minutes.

Our group had reserved 4 of the cabins, not the main lodge. We were booked two to a room for the most part. All rooms were separate, with locked doors leading to a common area with a kitchen, refrigerator, large tv, sofas, tables etc. Porches wrapped all around for enjoying the mountain air.

The rooms were well furnished, the beds comfortable and the linens plush. TV in each room, large armoire/dresser, desk night stands etc. Bathrooms clean, tile, with soap and shampoo. No complaints at all, would bring wife or family back.

Grills were provided at each cabin and we used them.

The lodge is a beautiful building from the outside, and also from the inside (I cannot speak to the lodge rooms). The dining hall was large with big windows and stone and wood and fireplaces, as was the lobby. Downstairs leads to Brassies grill (more later) and the golf proshop as well as several other areas I did not explore.

We partook of the seafood buffet the lodge puts out on Friday nights and it was very serviceable, especially considering it's the North GA mtns. Plenty of options, some fried, some broiled etc, even a lobster salad. The wait staff was good to us.

For breakfast there is a large buffet also, and it featured more than enough to get you going for whatever activity you had planned for the day. Sausage, bacon, eggs, potatoes, a really nice omellette station with lots of options, grits, toast, and all juices coffees etc. Kyle, our server, was pretty exceptional.

Brassies Grill, beside the proshop downstairs and overlooking the practice green is your standard 19th hole grill, featuring large screen tvs, two billiards tables, and a good menu of pub grub. The cod fish and chips were much better than I expected, and the burgers looked good. The ladies there did a fine job keeping up with our large group. Thank you Ellen and Leisa.

The golf course is beautiful. Zoysia rough was tough tough, but everything was lush, well manicured, and fun to play. Love the Turtle theme! We played 4 round in 3 days and had a blast. Would not hesitate to play here again.

All in all, I think it's a place I'd go back to for a long weekend with my wife to play golf and explore other options. The resort features horseback riding with trails winding throughout the mountains and around the property. The views of the mountains are always gorgeous anytime, and we've hiked most of the area on numerous backpacking trips. There is also a volleyball and picnic area.

There is a spa on site, we passed it driving on the golf course around the 3rd hole. Can't say much other than they did a superb job with the stonework! Will check it out next time.

The resort is 5 - 10 minutes from the very large Lake Chatuge for you water and fishing enthusiasts!

Give it a shot.

Room Tip: The Cabins were nice especially for larger groups.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Holiday Inn Express Helen
Hampton Inn Helen
Hampton Inn Helen
#3 of 19 in Helen

Been to Brasstown Valley Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!