Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM

Reviewed 6 days ago
lowens311
Kansas City, Missouri
via mobile
Great way to get a taste of the swamp

Reviewed October 2, 2018
Jeff G
Waycross, Georgia

All reviews boat tour train ride observation tower south georgia baby alligators pioneer village cypress trees wildlife refuge okefenokee swamp bug spray gift shop yellow flies entry fee visitor center a lot of fun great place to visit fire tower
Reviewed 6 days ago via mobile

We really enjoyed our brief visit here. We did the 90 minute swamp boat tour and had an excellent guide. The park is huge and deserves days to explore, not hours as we did. Great staff and gift shop and so many birds and gators! Bring your camera and take your time. Also, I imagine mosquitoes are awful in summer, but the place was perfect in November and still full of life and beauty!

Reviewed October 4, 2018

Saw the big gator, took the boat ride, knew more before I visited - hoped for more information and better guidance by professionals.

Reviewed October 2, 2018

This attraction provides a an easy way to get a view of the Okefenokee Swamp, a very underrated scenic park. Other than the Everglades, which is actually quite different, this is a unique natural attraction which is worth a detour. Black water, cypress trees, gators galore, explore via boat or view the exhibits. Highly educational.

3  Thank Jeff G
Reviewed September 2, 2018 via mobile

Growing up my mom would always refer to something way out of our way as Okefenokee so I always wanted to see the place. Enjoyed it a lot! Took the boat ride and train ride and the guides were very personable and full of knowledge about the ecosystem there. Bring bug spray and water!

Reviewed August 11, 2018

We were staying in Jekyll Island for a week and decided to make the 1 hour trip to Waycross to visit. We are so glad we did! We're from Central Florida, so seeing alligators is nothing particularly special to us. However, the staff is what made this visit an exceptional one! Each and every staff member spent time with my family, sharing their knowledge. It was obvious that they were all passionate and genuinely cared about their home and craft.

The gentleman operating the train during our visit, claimed he was only "filling in" for someone that day. But he was phenomenal! I believe he also gives night time tours around the swamp and we would love to make it back there for that! We could listen to him talk for hours. Another worker guided us to an area where we could safely observe a mama gator protecting her nest. It was fascinating.

The one warning I would offer is to cover yourself with bug repellent. We were destroyed by yellow flies and those bites hurt for days. But do not hesitate to visit this place, you'll be glad you did!

1  Thank rkmoore11
Reviewed July 29, 2018

Please obey all the alligator warning signs. There are wild gators out there and you don't want to get too close (we saw 3 up close). We visited in January and I would suggest going in the cooler months to avoid being attacked by the biting bugs. I was hoping to see some bears but I guess they were hiding from us. I didn't really want to see any snakes.

There is so much to see here. They have a visitor center/gift shop, nature center/serpentarium, railroad tour (wasn't running when we were there), boat tours through the swamp but we decided not to do that, pioneer homestead, gardens (not much there in January, movies to watch, captive alligator area with nice boardwalk overlooks, shows (not going on while we were there), a nice boardwalk that takes you through the swamp, and a very scary raised walk to the observation tower.

When we got to the gate for the walk to the observation tower I stopped dead in my tracks. It was a very narrow walkway and only had a yellow nylon rope as a protective railing/something to hold on to. I had second thoughts about walking on it because it was only about 8 inches above the swamp water. A sign said you had to sign something that you would enter at your own risk but no one in the visitor center told us about that. We didn't want to walk all the way back to do that so we decided to walk to the tower anyway. Yes, I decided if my husband could walk it so could I.

I made it to the tower and back and as I was taking a picture of the swamp my husband pointed something out to me about 5 feet away.....a gator was right there submerged in the water. I snapped a quick picture and moved on. That happened again as we were walking along the sidewalk to the pioneer village. I stopped to take a picture of some plants in the water and then noticed another submerged gator right there. So people, the wild gators are there so keep your eyes open. There was even a very large gator sunning himself about 25 feet from the sidewalk at the pioneer village.

1  Thank cheryl h
Reviewed July 23, 2018

We high hopes for this park but was disppointed. We expected to be taken by airboat through swamps to see wildlife. Not the experience at all. We felt the price too much for what was described in the brochure. We did see a couple of smaller gators and a turtle but very disappointed.

1  Thank Donnagay A
Reviewed July 22, 2018

I have been to this park numerous times over the years since I was a child. We would pass through Waycross often while going to Florida. I last stopped here last Fall with my family and children. They enjoyed the boat ride and the train ride. The reptile house and seeing the alligators and all made it a worth while stop. My children enjoyed it. Yes, it has changed over the years and some of it is different. They also had some big fires that took out a lot of the trees and all in past years as well, and so that will change things. It is still worth a stop for a few hours. Take plenty of bug spray or go during the off season when it is not so hot.

2  Thank jwmcrazynurse
Reviewed July 17, 2018 via mobile

It had been since 1987 whenI had last been with my parents. The park entrance still looked the same and it got me excited BUT when we got to the building we found out that there is a $17 entree fee that includes a boat, small train ride and animal show. None of this was here years ago...everything was free to see. We decided not to spend the money and instead saw many alligators at the entrance and near the parking lot. Just not the same.

1  Thank KevinJexplore98
Reviewed July 12, 2018 via mobile

We had a great time. Did the boat and train ride. Tons of banana spiders over your head on the boat ride. Biggest spiders I’ve ever seen. The alligators are both caged and loose. Use caution. It is just as it says. A swamp. Hot and humid. If you like wildlife it’s a great place. Fun interactive show with reptiles. Highly recommend!