“Wow. Terrific.”

The Fitzpatrick Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Washington B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 9, 2006

This is a beautifully restored, impeccably maintained, friendly and gracious establishment. I stay in luxury hotels all the time for business, and I'd choose the Fitzpatrick every day over larger full-service properties. The price is amazingly low for the pleasure of staying here.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

A TripAdvisor Member
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed June 30, 2006

Everything about the Fitzpatrick was outstanding. It was like stepping back in time to a gentler way of life--around the turn of the 20th century. In our room on the third floor, I thought I detected a female presence and smelled a flowery perfume, but nothing scary, and, of course, it could have been my imagination. We met another couple who said they heard the place was haunted by a lady in green, phantom piano music, party sounds near the ballroom, and so on. But the Fitzpatrick is the sort of place that wouldn't be complete without a ghost or two.

I highly recommend the Fitzpatrick. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 4, 2006

Foremost, I must say that this was the cleanest room I have ever stayed in! Treat yourself to a view overlooking the square (the rooms across the hall, however, are nice for their price). Our second floor room was huge w/plush antique furnishings, satellite TV, a large bath with claw foot tub, and a foldout bed was in the walk in closet. It is apparent the owners spared no expense refurbishing this lovely jewel of a hotel. The first floor features a library full of any kind of reading material one could want. There is also access to a (non-hotel related) gift shop from the first floor. Heavy continental breakfast included cooked eggs, sausage, and biscuits, in addition to fresh fruit and other usual breakfast fare. Enjoyed sitting on the back deck of the on-site restaurant conversing with other guests at breakfast as well. The shops around the hotel have a nice inventory and special small town service - an employee from the jewelry store around the corner tracked me down to return my stray sunglasses. First class treatment all around! The restaurant across the square is a nice dinner dining spot, since the hotel restaurant was open only for lunch the night we were there. A very peaceful, refreshing visit all around.

• Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank tybee4
Reviewed August 28, 2005

We searched the entire area between Atlanta and Augusta for a good place for a getaway. We stumbled on the Fitzpatrick through Trip Advisor and we're very thankful.

This place is everything the first reviewer described. The owners and the staff go out of their way to make sure your stay is perfect. For example, we called to let them know we would not make it until 11:00. The guy, who happened to be one of the owners, said don't worry about it, asked us which way we were coming, and then made sure we were looking out for deer on the road. Another owner asked her daughter to play with our son to give me a break. The service here was so personal.

We had one of the 3rd floor no-view rooms which are a great deal at $75. The cheapest rate we could find in the area at the chain places was around $59. There's no question this is the better deal.

The elevator doesn't go up to the 3rd floor and they were so apologetic, but it worked great for us. I'm a light sleeper and will awaken at any noise from the room overhead, so I always prefer the top floor. But I don't think it would matter since the floorboards didn't squeak much despite this being over 100 years old. The room was large enough for us to fit our pack and play (they will provide one for you if you don't bring yours) and still move around. There was a desk, rocking chair, satellite tv, and a fireplace which we didn't use. The bathroom was large with the same wood floors in the bedroom. The shower was wonderful. The stall is the normal size, but the shower head is very tall (husband is 6'3" and had plenty of room) and is a rainfall shower head. The air conditioning allows you to choose the temp you want and it maintains it. There is also a fan if you prefer using that. Your bed is made with a little bag of chocolates on top. The bed was a queen, I think. It was really comfortable. I slept about the best I ever had at a hotel.

Breakfast on Saturday morning was good. Packages of instant oatmeal and grits; fresh fruit; danish; cake; 2 kinds of cereal; tea bags; coffee; orange juice; and milk. You could either eat in the ballroom or take it to your room. A small thing that impressed me is they use real plates, glasses, and utensils for breakfast. Yet another thoughtful detail. Sunday's breakfast was cooked. It had the other stuff plus eggs, sausage, and something baked that we only saw crumbs since we got there too late.

This is just a stunning revitalization of a building. The colors on the walls and the floors are beautiful. Everything shines. I would think that this would be an ideal place for a wedding. One of the owners said they book complete wedding parties or reunions since everything can be done in the building. It would be an event to remember if you had a wedding here.

We chose to eat on Sunday in the Watchmaker restaurant for the brunch buffet. It was as wonderful as the inn although it has different ownership than the inn. We talked to the owners who used to be corporate chefs in Atlanta. Everything is fresh down to the peppers grown in the garden and used in the omelet. I would recommend this restaurant as highly as I do the inn.

We didn't spend much time in Washington except at the inn, so I can't give any opinion on it. I think the inn is special enough that it is a destination in itself.

• Stayed: August 2005
5  Thank catherp
Reviewed August 9, 2005

My husband and I recently traveled to Washington, GA for a four day trip, over the 4th of July weekend. We stayed at the newly rennovated FitzPatrick Hotel, located on the square, and we're really impressed. The staff was tremendously friendly, accommodating and personable. The hotel rooms were large, clean and reasonably priced. As well as tastefully decorated in a uncluttered manner, wih simple antique pieces, and old paintings/framed photographs. A hearty, southern style continental breakfast was included with the room rate and bottled water was on hand for guests at all times. The highlight of the trip was watching fireworks from the balconey of one of the rooms. All in all, the wood floors sparkled, the paint colors soothed and the staff smiled...giving the impression that life at the FitzPatrick is a bowl full of cherries.

4  Thank kittybee

Been to The Fitzpatrick Hotel? Share your experiences!