“First time cruiser”
Review of Castaway Cay

Castaway Cay
More attraction details
Owner description: Bahamian Out Island currently owned by the Disney Corporation, which is accessible only by arriving on a Disney cruise ship.
Reviewed June 23, 2014

First of all I would like to say this was a great family vacation. We did this mostly for our 7 yr old daughter. She had a great time and we had a pretty good time. Would we do this for an adult vacation?..nope. You have most likely read many other reviews so I will mention things they did not.
-Don't plan on getting there too early you can't enter the room until 1:30 ish and most of the ship is closed.
-Your luggage (we took the Disney transportation) may not arrive until 4 or 5.
-Safety drill is mandatory. Just about everyone on deck in the blazing sun with no breeze. Not fun at all. Time spent about 1 hour.
-When boarding the elevators have long lines so be ready to hike or wait. The same thing happens around lunch and dinner times.
-The kids club cost $48 of gratuity each day. My daughter was there maybe an hour each day so I was not very happy about that. I could have disputed the gratuity but you only get a couple of hours between your bill and back on the bus so I opted to save the headache.
-You can bring adult beverages on board just use common sense.
-Pools - I did not get in the PeePee pool and neither did my daughter. The main pool has specific hours and the good pool is reserved for adults only.
-Nassau is a fun place to hang out, lunch, and buy souvenirs.
-Castaway Cay - If I could design a private island I would do it just like this one.
-Food - Was good 6 out of 10. We went to the Adult restaurants which were very good 8 out of 10.
-Entertainment - 8 out of 10. Pirate night was a lot of fun.
-Staff - 10 out of 10. I have never been treated so well. 5 star hotels from downtown San Diego, Ca to Miami, Fl and all over the Caribbean and Disney staff blows them all away. If you can do something they will help you do it. If you can't do something they will find an alternative.

Note: This is practically a non-smoking ship. Deck 11 in a little corner is reserved for smoking.

14  Thank NASAMIKE

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Castaway Cay is just ridiculously beautiful. I've been there twice and want to go back.The water is perfectly blue and the sand is like powder. We were lucky enough to nab cabana #7 on the second trip and it was great having a place to rest. I'm not sure I would pay for it everytime because I had such a great time without one on the first trip. But it's nice for an occasional splurge. My only issue is that the water in front of the cabanas is VERY rocky and full of shells. I ended up cutting my foot. We ended up doing all of our swimming on the family beach just on the other side of the separating floaties and it's powder there. All of the food and non-alcoholic drinks are included there. The cabanas also come with sodas and snacks.

1  Thank Mirrasi
Reviewed June 20, 2014

I love this place. There's something for everyone there. There are 3 separate beaches, one for families, on for adults, and one for teens. The Family beach gets filled up fast, the adult beach is sometimes crowded, and I cannot speak for the teen beach since I have not been on that side yet. The BBQ lunches that they have are very good. I've been there 3 times and I've never had a bad experience. People are all very nice and helpful. There are various acitivities to do there. You can go kayaking, you can rent bikes to bike around the island. There are snorkels, water tubes, and water beds for you to rent. It's nice to just float on the water. This place is just amazing, and Disney just docks right at the port so you can go back to your room at any time, you don't have to wait for a boat to ferry you to and from the boat.

2  Thank Floli1211
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Castaway Cay is a perfect place to spend a day during a Disney cruise. Personally, I prefer Castaway Cay over Nassau and if I ever do one of the short Bahamian cruises again I will most likely stay on board when the ship docks in Nassau and rather venture out on Castaway Cay.

In the summer months it is worth doing any serious activities outside the water as early in the morning as possible. So if you are planning on renting a bike to explore the island do it early before it gets too hot.

If you think about some serious quiet time on the island book a cabana at Serenity Bay far in advance. It is worth it if you are planning to spend the whole day at the island.

If you are a party animal and/or have kids a cabana at the family beach could be a good idea. Again, book early or they might be gone.

The post office on the island is not run by Disney. So you may find it open - or not.
Either way - you need a Bahamian stamp to mail a postcard from Castaway Cay. You get a special cancellation postmark when sending any mail from Castaway Cay.

Fun facts:
Disney 'owns' (a long term lease from the Bahamian government) the whole island - most cruise lines don't really own an island but just a particular bay on an island. And for those other cruise lines who do own an island none of them is as big as Castaway Cay. Castaway Cay's original name is "Gorda Cay" (located at 26.083305°N 77.53335°W). Great Abaco Island is the closest larger and inhabited island.

4  Thank Stefan O
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Disney's private island is a must visit! There are two beaches: one for kids / families and the other one is 18 yrs and up only. I spent most of my time at the adult beach where it was quiet and relaxing. The sand was white and clean the water was blue and clear!

lunch was provided by the Disney Cruise. Each beach has a eating area so that was good, a separation between adults and families with kids. Disney provided bbq food, fountain drinks, and fruits and even soft serve ice cream -- it was delicious.

At the adult beach, there were plenty of beach chairs for you to lay down and sunbathe. there are also chairs were you can pull out to the shallow shore and just sit there with your feet dipped into the water. there was also a sand bar which was walkable; the beach as a whole is not deep.. everywhere was waist deep and i'm only 5'4" tall. I found a lot of marine life: sand dollars, conch, baby fish, and even starfish!

at the family / kid beach we did snorkeling there, water there is slightly deeper and there are more fish to look at. Disney sunk different disney characters in the ocean which was cool because you'd be snorkeling and suddenly you see a fake sunken ship, sunken sub, mickey and minnie mouse! That was really neat, as an adult, i was excited about it; imagine how the kids felt.

There are several shops for people to buy souvenirs and other beach necessities.

overall i enjoyed my stay at Castaway Cay -- loved loved the adult beach -- it was beautiful!

2  Thank agbells