“Beautiful island, but not a great experience...”
Review of Castaway Cay

Castaway Cay
More attraction details
Owner description: Bahamian Out Island currently owned by the Disney Corporation, which is accessible only by arriving on a Disney cruise ship.
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I am going to be the unpopular dissenting opinion here, but the stop at Castaway Cay was the only disappointment of our Disney cruise. While the island is beautiful, it is clear that Disney is more concerned with protecting themselves from lawsuits than they are about their guests having a nice time. Everything is HIGHLY regulated. There are signs everywhere warning guests of possible dangers (sharks! sea lice! rocks!). To snorkle, you have to wear these huge flourescent yellow lifevests, and if you don't the lifeguards will yell at you "SNORKLER! YOU MUST WEAR A YELLOW LIFEVEST TO SNORKLE!" You have to stay inside very strict areas which are roped off - anyone who attempted to move outside of the ropes was quickly chased down. As someone who travels and snorkels often, this was highly annoying. I was also yelled at by a lifeguard for gettiing too close to the rocks. Apparently I might slip and crack my head open and sue them??

The jet ski rentals were a joke and I am glad I did not spend my money on this tour. You could see these tours from the cruise ship, and in a straight line, everyone follows the guide, going a safe and slow speed, around a bend and in a circle - clearly this is for people who have never been on a jet ski? When I rent a jet ski (and pay $120/hour to do so), I want to go where I want and as fast as I want (safely, of course).

Lastly, they crowd the entire ship in to a very small area. It was like being at a bad waterpark. I had rented snorkles, hoping we could walk to a more secluded area where there weren't 4,000 people standing in the water, but no, this small beach area is the only place to go. There is an "adult" beach around the corner but we did not want to leave our kids - they like to snorkle as well. So I actually returned my snorkle and asked for my money back as the water was cloudy from everyone in it and clearly no fish would be in the area where hundreds of people are spashing and screaming.

The lunch buffet was small but good and the drinks at the little bar on the hlll were excellent (with a great view). I really wish this stop was not so regulated and that Disney was not so concerned with liability. I felt like I was being treated like an idiotic child. I had visions of roaming this beautiful island and finding a little spot for my family to snorkle and enjoy the beautiful beach, but alas, this was not the case at all. We actually all headed to the ship early after getting yelled at (again) by the lifeguards who looked miserable and angry. When I complained to a staff member she actually agreed with me that the rules and regulations were over the top. So unfortunately, I did not enjoy this island as much as I had hoped to. They do have some fun activities (the slides, the bikes) and the island itself is very beautiful, but we did not really enjoy our visit here as much as we had hoped.

10  Thank Carla G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,666)
All reviews
in 19 reviews
"food was great"
in 34 reviews

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I went on the Disney Wonder cruise that stops at Key West, Castaway Cay, and Nassau, Bahamas. Castaway Cay was definitely the best stop of all. The island is beautiful, the water so clear it looked like pool water. The water is nice and calm which makes it great for small children. Disney keeps the island in pristine condition and super clean with all the amenities you would need for the day. We took our 1 1/2 year old and 4 year old and they both had fun. You can hang out at the beach, or sign up for an acitivity such as swimming with stingrays or kayaking, there is also a floating slide/play area for the kids. There were several little kiosks that you could buy souvenirs from, the drink stations were always open as well as the ice cream. For lunch they had BBQ and a selection of other things which I thought was great food. Overall, the experience was great and relaxing. One tip, don't bring your stroller off the boat, they have strollers there that you can use and you avoid all the sand in your stroller, they also have wagons you can use for older kids. We rented a tube and a flat float (the kind you lay on), the tubes are humongous and hard to get on, the laying ones are better, but with small kids it was kind of pointless to rent this.

1  Thank MCruz2013
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I think throughout my disney cruise trip to Bahamas, castaway cay is better than other destinations. Beautiful scenery, comfortable, and fun for a family with kids. I went with 11 months old and four years old children and they loved to swim, near the beach. We took some photos in front of the cruise ship and it was one of the highlight photos of our cruise.

4  Thank 3leaflilac
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Fabulous beach and great fun for everybody. When you go on a Disney cruise make sure you get off at Castaway Cay and enjoy the day at the beach. The waterslide area for the kids is great. The water is beautiful and the sand is soft and warm. Enjoy the buffet lunch and relax. It is a great place and a must for all.

3  Thank Ann R