“Disney Dream Cruise Ship is MAGNIFICENT!”
Review of Castaway Cay

Castaway Cay
More attraction details
Owner description: Bahamian Out Island currently owned by the Disney Corporation, which is accessible only by arriving on a Disney cruise ship.
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Although not unexpected after reading about the Dream as it was being built, Disney still went over the top with this cruise ship. The technoligical innovations and inter-active features were incredible.

Neither of us are into shopping so Nassau has to be our least favorite port-of-call. It's crowded, dirty and way too many people in your face trying to sell tours, wares, etc. We debarked the ship only long enough to stretch our legs, grab a couple a freebies and get back on as quickly as possible.

Instead we chose Remy's restaurant as our 'shore excursion' and while it was many $$ it was well worth the experience. The food, the service and the ambience was incredible. Our other favorite foodie place, actually cocktail, experience was the Skyline Lounge whose view from the 'windows' change to 6 different cities as well as the music of the city. Of all the regular restaurants Royal Palace was my favorite.

New to the Dream was the AquaDuck water adventure where you ride on rafts splashing through a tube out over the ocean and around the upper deck. Not being a coaster person I was apprehensive about riding it but immediately got in line again!

Castaway Cay has been expanded in a good way since our last visit. Personally, I was fine just sitting on the beach rather than spend $300 for a few hours in a Cabana but to each his own.

Don't hesitate to book a Disney cruise if you are even the least bit concerned about all the kids on the cruise. Yes there a a lot, especially since the Dream holds approximately 1500 more passengers, but there are adult only areas on the ship and Castaway Cay where you can escape. Disney does a terrific job of entertaining the children as well as the adults.

38  Thank runnerrae
Write a ReviewReviews (1,666)
All reviews
in 19 reviews
"food was great"
in 34 reviews

Reviewed October 31, 2011

We had the pleasure of visiting Castaway Cay with our Disney Dream Cruise. We had a group of 20. Children ranged from 4-18 plus adults. It will definitely be the trip of a lifetime for our family. Castaway was the ultimate island with tons of activities and excursions for everyone.

11  Thank ourfamilyof4_4-fun
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Not much more that I can add that others haven't already. The beach on Castaway Cay is wonderful. Tons of chairs and umbrellas (more than enough, actually). There are about 10 or so rope hammocks that go pretty fast (earlybirds, I guess). The best part for me was the way lunch was handled. No crowds at the barbeque lunch. Food was fantastic. Plenty of shaded places to each and wonderful breezes and music. Disney really has this stuff down to a science. If you go, skip the cabana's as they are $500 per day to rent. You're only on the island for what, 1/2 a day maybe. Skip it as they're not all that (do a youtube search on Castaway Cay cabana's for more info).

Overall, an excellent experience for both parents and kids. A very hassle-free day on the island!!

17  Thank bkohler
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I wasn't sure about "Castaway Cay" when we booked our cruise. I thought it might be crowded and not that fun. Boy was I wrong. Silly me for doubting Disney!

The beach area was way bigger than I expected. They had plenty of chairs on the beach to go around! We were a little late getting off the ship and easily found 12 chairs in a row for our large group.

The kids 5, 7, 7 and 11 went straight for the protected lagoon. They had lifeguards on duty all over the place. The even had a bunch of lifeguards perched on platforms way out in the snorkling area. I never let the kids out of my site but it was comforting to know that Disney had my back.

We didn't snorkle but there were a ton of people who did. Plenty of equipment and a massive lagoon to explore. They also had a stingray experience that looked pretty cool. The rays were in a fenced off area and had their stingers removed. My wife and I had already done something similar in the wild on another cruise so we just passed this up. Kids begged us to do it but we didn't give in.

We did rent a water bike and Hobie Catamaran. Took the girls out for a spin and they loved it. The water bike was a lot of work but the girls had fun. However the little Catamaran was awesome. We had some good wind and got it moving really well. Plus it was a lot less work than the water bike. We never had to wait in line to rent any of the boats. Prices were very resonable and they were not strick with a clock. My inlaws rented an electric paddle boat and the battery died. The Disney crew quickly was out there towing them in with a jet ski.

They have a BBQ area for lunch and served BBQ Chicken and Ribs. It was great to be able to walk 30 yards from the beach and have a nice lunch. Beats having to go all the way back to the ship for lunch.

The island was so big we only saw about half of it. Didn't make it to the adult beach or the water slide platform. So much to do with so little time. If I had to do it over again I would take the 4 night cruise that hits Castaway Cay twice. It was so nice being the only ship there and having the entire island for ourselves!

17  Thank mike89t