“Decent and Inexpensive”

Howard Johnson Valdosta
Ranked #27 of 34 Hotels in Valdosta
Reviewed August 21, 2010

There were 3 adults and one infant. It was a clean room, but nothing fancy. It is an older hotel, but the bathroom looked like it had recently had the floor tile redone. It has two sinks in the room, a microwave and mini frig. Cable with internet access and coffee pot. It's a motel, so all of the rooms have outside entrances. If you're looking for a decent room at a good rate, then this is for you. I picked this motel over others because none of the reviews said this motel had bed bugs. I am from Ohio and there were large, what we call, water bugs and small mini lizards. Not used to seeing that, but none in the room both nights we stayed. I did not experience any noisiness and we all slept well. The doors were securable and it had air. The guy who checked us in at 3AM should do voice overs, he'd make a killing. There is a sign for a resturant that is not there anymore, but there is a Dairy Queen, a gas station and an expensive gift shop (paid $5 for a small thing of sanitary napkins), a burger king next door and a Citgo Oh, the picture of the bug, does not justice, that bug is as big as my thumb, but they were not in the room. Please excuse the pics, we had already checked in and got settled.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelgrlOHgoingtoGA
burleydav1, General Manager at Howard Johnson Valdosta, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2010

Thank you so much for your comments. You are correct with your description. Just for your knowledge the clerk that checked you in does do voice overs for radio and television. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We have alot open land around the motel so wildlife does come around. We do our best to control them inside and out. We have microwave and refrigerators in some of our rooms. Thank you again and I hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 29, 2010

The staff here was very nice. But I have never been so afraid in my life scared I was gonna be shot or my car broke into. Lots of shady looking people hanging out in cars very noisy until 2am people banging on our door screaming and hollering it was awful try Tifton Ga instead it looks like a much nicer area

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank bamabreeze012
burleydav1, General Manager at Howard Johnson Valdosta, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2010

I do apologize for the noisy neighbors. I would like to know if you alerted the front office about your concerns. We have staff on duty 24 hours to handle those situations. As for the people in their cars, we unfortunately can not control what time people come and go. We are an exterior rooms motel and the parking lot is directly in front of the rooms. We do feel that our parking lot and surrounding areas are large and well lit.

Reviewed June 14, 2010

I arrived 30 minutes before check in. We were greeted by hotel receptionist Monica. She was very professional and pleasant. I quizzed on area events and she gave me a very good update on happening in local area of Valdosta. She really should be at a more upscale hotel. The hotel was a dump combine with a gas/dairy queen. We stayed in room 116.We were suprised by cleanness of room. Our toliet was stained ,so the water has apppearance of urine. The bathroom tile could benifit from a stream cleaning. The iron,blow dryer,micro wave,and refridgrator was clean and in good condition. This hotel is ok for a overnight stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business

We are an older motel with clean comfortable rooms at a modest price. We are usually less than our equal competitors in cost. We do have a gas station and a Dairy Queen on the property which some people find very convienent. I am pleased that your room was clean and everything worked. We do have a friendly and knowledgeable staff. We do appreciate your comments and hope to see you again.

Reviewed May 29, 2010

We were in the process of moving from GA to Florida, and this location was about the mid point of our travels. We ran into car problems where I had to do a repair on the spot. The staff and manager were very considerate in helping us out. They had no problem with us fixing what I needed right there in their parking lot. The manager even let me use his tools because we had none available. They also let us stay in the room past the check out time because of our emergency at no additional cost, (with our pets). In the end, all worked out well, and I would not hesitate to stay here again. It may not look like much from the road, but is was way better than I could have hoped for. Not to mention that the room was clean, comfortable, and efficient. Lastly, the staff was wonderful.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
burleydav1, General Manager at Howard Johnson Valdosta, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2010

Thank You so much for your words. We are an older hotel and try to keep the property clean and neat.

Reviewed April 2, 2010

My husband and I stayed here on March 25th for one night. The room was old but the bed was comfy. The room was very basic and I did not shower there but we got a good night sleep. I would not stay here longer than one night.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2009

Wasn't really expecting a whole lot for a Days Inn way out in the country on the side of an interstate highway, but we were pleasantly surprised. Grounds and parking lot were immaculately clean. Room was spotless, clean and updated.
The only drawback was the young girl on desk duty. She was on her cell phone when I walked in and acted like I was a huge problem for interrupting her call.
Other than that, our overnight stay was extremely pleasant, clean and quiet.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2009

We flew into Atlanta from Hamburg, Germany and were on our way to Clearwater, Florida. Since our flight arrived late afternoon, we did not want to drive the whole distance after such the long flight. We reserved a room at this particular hotel because it was halfway to our destination, and the reviews here on Tripadvisor seemed ok for this hotel.

All we wanted for night was a clean and inexpensive place to sleep. This hotel is that and at a very fair price. It is not particularily quiet at this hotel due to its location close to the I-75, but we were already aware it would be a little loud when we booked the room.

The only complaint I have is that it was a very windy and quite chilly day when we arrived and there was a strong draft coming in from underneath the door. We used our suitcases to block the door to keep the draft out and to keep the room warmer.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple