“Very Good But Not "The Best"”
Review of Smok'n Pig B-B-Q

Smok'n Pig B-B-Q
Ranked #4 of 238 Restaurants in Valdosta
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Phone 229-245-8BBQ - it looked like it had just opened
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Very Good But Not "The Best"”
Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

The Smokin Pig purports to be "one of the 10 best in the country." It was worth the stop but in no way what it is billed as. It's a standard BBQ menu, with everything you would expect -- essentially choices of pork, beef or chicken served with two toppings, bread, and salad bar. I had the sliced pork, and it was good but not OMG. There are 6 different BBQ sauces on each table. They were all very good, particularly the original and sweet. I also ordered shoestring onion rings which looked incredible but the batter tasted like something was off. Similarly, my wife ordered fried okra, which looked like it was fried in dirty oil and was no where as sweet, fresh and tasty as the amazing fried okra served down the street at Steel Magnolias.

Lubbock, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It's ok”
Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

I've eaten a lot of BBQ smokin pig isn't cooking (smoking) it's meat fresh I've even here several times it's just ok. Most of the good is dry. The salad bar has crappy iceberg lettuce and the cobbler isn't to die over. It's just ok.

Lakeland, FL
“Don't eat lunch if you are coming here for dinner”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is BBQ on steroids. I ordered the three items (out of four) dinner plate. Ribs, pulled pork, and a quarter of a chicken. They have about six sauces on the table including a vinegary Carolina BBQ sauce. The original is my favorite as I do not care much for the sweet and hot combinations. When one orders the plate, better call it a platter, one also gets the salad bar and dessert, a cobbler with soft serve ice cream should you find room.

We made the "mistake" of ordering an appetizer of onion rings. These were thin sliced in a thin batter that was perfectly seasoned The plate was enormous, enough to share with four to six others if you want to skip the dessert. The rings were hot and crisp, heavenly, and that is where one might end up if you ate them often.

All the items on my dinner plate were perfect, the ribs cooked just long enough to still be on the bone, the pulled pork in a dish large enough to have been a meal in itself and the smoked BBQ chicken breast with wing, moist and delicious. In addition, I had two sides, Brunswick Stew and overcooked collard greens - it's the South, they are supposed to overcooked and they came with several nice size pieces of ham.

My wife got a pulled pork sandwich that comes with two sides. She got cole slaw and a sweet potato souffle' that was heavy on cloves but sweet and tasty. She wanted an extra side of fried okra, something we love but never make at home so she ordered it as an extra side for $2. Extra sides it turns out are not the small sides that come with the meal. No, they are gargantuan. The fried okra came out in a large bowl, large enough to feed four people not one.

The salad bar was clean, the veggies fresh but items minimal - hey, it came with the dinner so I loaded up on lettuce as well as a cucumber, onion and tomato salad marinated in an oil and vinegar dressing. The fried onion rings were perfect, almost the best I have ever had at a restaurant and another fried food we would never have at home. As one can guess, we did not eat all the onion rings, the fried okra or anything else except somehow my wife was able to eat the large pulled pork sandwich. I took home two of the three ribs, half of the pulled pork and 90% of the chicken breast. As good as the onion rings were, I left not wanting to see another fried onion ring for at least five years.

Smoki'n Pig BBQ is a great place for a party of four or six to share two of the sides but far more than two can eat. The food is great, but I am not giving it five stars because it is BBQ and I will never give BBQ five stars. But, you can't do better IMHO, and when it comes to BBQ everyone has an opinion. While we had pulled pork, they also offer sliced pork and brisket. There just is not room in this body to try everything.

The restaurant is just off interstate 75 on N Valdosta Road. A good place to stop for dinner and probably lunch too if one is driving down from Atlanta or north from Florida. It was jammed with locals by 6:30 on a Tuesday night which says something good for being a few miles north of most of the Valdosta's population.

• Visited July 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Good BBQ, nice staff, good service”
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

The BBQ was really good. I had the pulled pork with sweet BBQ sauce on top and it tasted amazing! I had a side of Mac n cheese that was really good and sweet potatoes(I didn't like them). It also came with toast and a salad bar(just the basic salad stuff plus cottage cheese and canned peaches/pineapple). The meal also came with a dessert bar, but it was not good. The ice cream tasted funny and the peach cobbler tasted bland and very lemony.
Other than dessert, we really enjoyed it :)

Visited July 2014
Bradenton, Florida
“There's a Reason the Parking Lot is Packed!”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We were greeted and seated immediately. Our server, Courtney, as friendly and efficient. My companion and I both ordered the Texas Beef Brisket sandwich (($9.49). Her sides were collard greens and mac & cheese; mine, broccoli salad and mac & cheese. The sandwiches were HUGE ... piled high with sliced brisket. The greens and broccoli salad were fresh and made from scratch ... delicious! The mac & cheese was to die for ... thick with cheese and obviously homemade. Try their cornbread, too. So tasty, it doesn't even need butter. There are six different BBQ sauces to choose from. Drinks ($1.99) were quickly refilled, and we were also given "to-go" beverages. Beer and wine is available. The only "drawback" is crowd noise. The Pig is an open space full of happy, chatty, people. Don't pass it by. Great food. Great value.

• Visited July 2014