“Ok place to stay for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Royal Palm Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tybee Island
Royal Palm Motel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Tybee Island
Macon, Georgia
“Ok place to stay for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2011

It wasn't the best of the motels we have stayed, but it was generally a clean and quiet place. Close to Tybee attractions, affordable and a good place "just to sleep" while travelling.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2011

First of all, let me apologize for how long it took me to write this. I truly thought I would get over my terrible experience at this hotel, but after joining TripAdvisor and seeing this hotel again I wanted to warn fellow travelers. Secondly, I would also like to let you know that I never even saw the inside of a room- and will therefore not be commenting on that aspect of it. My girlfriends and I are in our mid-twenties and went away for a relaxing girls' weekend. We chose this hotel because it's website looked cute and who isn't on a budget these days? After driving through the night we pulled in and got out of the cars to stretch in the parking lot. Before I could even take a step towards the office a man came bursting out. He asked for me and said, "You can't have all these girls the room you booked." (We had two girls join at the last minute- they weren't sure they could get off work.) I said I was sure I couldn't and had hoped he would have another room for us, as I was happy to pay for a second room. He said he would rent us a certain larger room but also said, "If you girls are here to party you need to take it somewhere else." Please keep in mind, at this point, he hadn't even said hello or welcome to me, and I'm still in the parking lot! I said we weren't we were here for a quiet, relaxed weekend and I wasn't sure why he would assume that. He sent me in to the office and before I had even come completely in the door the woman behind the desk said, "You girls can leave and I won't charge your credit card." "Wow," I replied, "I was just coming in to get the key to look at the bigger room." I took the key from her and went outside. After consulting with the girls we decided not to stay at a place where we were obviously not wanted. Obviously it was our age that prompted this treatment, but it's incredibly unprofessional and inhospitable to treat guests this way. We are all professional young women and I can't tell you how offended I was. We ended up having a great weekend at another hotel BUT I can't tell you I was surprised every time we drove by and this hotel's parking lot was empty. If you want a cheap room, then check this place out, but if you want to be treated like a person just remember that your rate doesn't cover it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
8 Thank Allie H
Rossville, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

For the money, you cannot beat this place. You should know that for $59 and $99 a night you are not getting a luxury resort. Our room was clean (and the cleaning lady was wonderful). It was a small room, we ended up with a smoking room due to last minute reservations, but I always travel with Febreeze since most motels smell funky to me, so that handled the smoky smell. It's very convenient for a walk to the beach, with a beach access that puts you away from the bigger crowd. The pool was great. We'd walk back in the afternoon from the beach, rinse off and slide right into the pool for an hour before cleaning up to go out for the night. The "crab cab" will take you anywhere on the island for $10, plus $1 for each additional rider. We've made reservations for 2 upcoming trips back to Tybee. (and addressing a comment below.. if you are at home, do you change your sheets every night of the week? I hardly think so,.. so why would you expect them to change your sheets until after you leave?). My opinion, well worth the money.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MissSissy
Johnson City, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

My friends were getting married, so this is where I stayed. Let me tell you a little something...

This has to be the most run down, disgusting motel ever! The towels are super tiny (when you get some)..the soap small. The bottom of the bath tub was black. I had to go over to my friends hotel to shower for fear of the germs. Hair all over the sink.

The carpet was filthy! I always wear shoes on hotel carpets, and I am glad now that I am in the habit after this dingy mess.

The beds...where do I start..
Look for no rest on a hard as a brick bottom cheap mattress. My back hurt so badly, and I did not get more than 5 hours of rest on them. The sheets are all different, with wierd prints from the 60's. The fitted sheet and the top sheet did not even match. The most disgusting part is the sheet in on the mattress. There is no protector between you and the mattress. In a sleezy place like this..who knows what is on that mattress.

The party never ended. People were in the pool drinking and doing other things at 3am...4am...5am.. Loud and drunk. No one in the office to call. For my protection, I am not even going to tell you WHAT they were smoking. The moral fiber of the guests here speaks for itself, as well as the low standards of anyone who gave this dump a good review.

The door is completely unsafe as well. Could very easily get broken in on.

I am leaving this morning. I plan to bleach everything and pray I did not carry home anything gross. I feel just ...dirty!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank weepingwillow81
Marietta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2010

We traveled with our three sons and a friend, all boys aged 15 - 21. We had a suite and a two bed room. We had a wonderful time. The rooms and pool were clean. The location was excellent and the parking adequate. The staff was very friendly and quickly took care of the two small problems that arose. This is not the Ritz Carlton but we came to Tybee for the beach and outdoor fun not to lounge in the rooms. You can spend more money and have fluffy towels and pillows but we preferred to spend our money on food and fun.We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank tripa29
Knoxville, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

Very few positive things. It WAS close to the beach, but so was every other hotel on the island. The staff was polite, and the air conditioner worked really well.
There is very little parking. If you have anything bigger than something the size of a Ford Focus you are pretty much screwed.
Once inside, the carpet is dingy, and the room smells.
The bathrooms are so small that you can't turn around without knocking yourself out on something. Also, the cloth shower curtain was moldy. To flush the toilet, you had to hold down the handle until everything was sucked down, which took forever.
The room itself just reeked.
The tv barely worked.
The free wi-fi didn't really work too well either.
The beds were the kind that you are totally afraid to take off the covers and sleep on.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Oak Park, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2010

The worst hotel experience we have ever had. My husband and I stayed here for three nights. When I booked the room over the phone the man I spoke with was very nice, told me it's a no frills motel, small room, no real amenities. I said fine, as long as it's clean. Well, it wasn't very clean. The floor made our feet turn black. There were black hairs all over the bathroom, and on two of the towels. The room was small, very small. I lived in a 300sf studio for three years and this place made me super uncomfortable. The bed was just a full size. There was just a sheet and then the bed spread that you know is probably rarely cleaned. The sink in the bathroom was super small and there were NO towel racks! You didn't have any room to lay out your toothpaste or deodorant. We had to set it on the back of the toilet..ew...or out on the counter in the room..I really didn't understand not having a towel rack. There was plenty of wall space in the bathroom for a towel bar. We had to hang them over the shower to dry. The toilet was really close to the tub. I am 5'2" and I couldn't sit straight on the toilet without my knees touching the shower. Oh, BRING YOUR OWN SOAP (if you still decide to stay here after reading this review). Soap provided is super small and, well, just not very good. The A/C worked well. There was a small fridge, and a microwave in the room which was helpful. There was also a small pool in the middle of the parking lot. It was clean, but small. I feel like this little motel could be so great if they just invested some money, updated a bit, and cleaned up the place. Yes it was only $60 for a weeknight and $90 on the weekend, but just down the road places that looked MUCH nicer advertised $120 a night. I think it really would have been worth the extra $30...
Also, it was really close walking distance to the beach. And about a 15-20min walk to the "strip" of stores and restaurants. Overall we felt safe, but the experience just wasn't worth the savings. I really wish I had spent more time looking for other motels because we saw way more motels and hotels while there then what you see just on tripadvisor or even on other websites. Make some calls and do more research. Rent a condo or something. I just can't recommend staying here....

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
#2 of 8 in Tybee Island
Dunes Inn & Suites
Dunes Inn & Suites
#3 of 8 in Tybee Island

Been to Royal Palm Motel? Share your experiences!