“Cute as a button!”

Tybee Island Marine Science Center
More attraction details
Owner description: We provide year-round programs for island visitors and groups . . . On the beach, in the marsh, on the water, in the classroom, and our Coastal Georgia Gallery. Our mission is to cultivate responsible stewardship of coastal Georgia's natural resources through education, conservation, and research. Island's Visitors: Walks, Talks & Treks and Sea Camp: Coastal Kids Ocean Adventure Corporate-Family-Elderhostel Groups: Authentic Coastal Experience and Floating Classrooms School Groups: Coastal Classroom Girl Scouts: Coastal Badge Program Boy and Cub Scouts: Barrier Island Patch Program and Oceanography Merit Badge Program Our Ocean Outreach program extends our educational reach to public and private events
Reviewed May 24, 2013

This adorable little aquarium is on an adorable little island. They have a cute gift shop and all of the displays are very educational, doesn't take too long to go through it, so if you are here, give it a try!

All reviews
in 19 reviews
"small fee"
"field trip"
in 4 reviews
"staff was very friendly"
in 6 reviews
in 6 reviews
in 44 reviews

Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

For those that may not be familiar with what's out under the waves, this place gives you enough info to get you started. It is a small place, but that's part of it's charm. There are 5 rooms with multiple small exhibits, touch tank, and lobby with a gift shop. I have been to some of the best aquariums in the country and I was still able to appreciate this place. Me and my fiancé had a great time viewing all the marine life on display. Well worth the $4 and it's right on the beach next to the pier.

1  Thank boostjunki84
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Very educational! There's even a fish with legs! If you have kids it's a must-see. If you don't have kids it's just very interesting. Me and my husband enjoyed looking at the different exhibits. We read just about everything you could read and it took about 20 min. It's a good thing to do if you have some time to kill.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My Girl Scout troop loved the beach experience offered at Tybee Island Marine Science Center. They took a walk on the beach and dug in the sand with their guide, Mr. Bob. He was FANTASTIC with the girls! After the beach portion, they toured the little museum and got to hold creatures in a touch tank. It was a wonderful experience that I highly recommend to all Scout troops.

1  Thank pitterpat000
See more reviews
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stumbled upon the Marine Science Center on Tybee Island after walking out on the public pier and down the beautiful beach. What I loved about the critters in the tanks was we had just spent two weeks on Harbor Island, SC and had seen many of the same specimens lying dead at low tide. And here at the MSC they were alive and interacting! A beautiful horseshoe crab, starfish, jellyfish, turtles, and much more.
We were there on Monday, April 22nd and the young lady that spoke with us was a marine biologist, who along with six other dedicated souls, was running this wonderful education center. She was very passionate about what they were doing and was very thankful that we stopped in. I purchased a beautiful t-shirt in the gift shop that I am looking forward to wearing.
The MSC offers several great walks and talks for a reasonable price if you'd like to learn more about the beach, jellyfish, salt marshes, sharks, turtles and whales.
Visiting here was the highlight of our day along with eating that evening at The Crab Shack.
I wish I had more time to go back again

1  Thank LOwCOuntryTraveler75