“Over 2 hr wait, for uncooked food”
Review of MacElwee's Seafood

MacElwee's Seafood
Ranked #25 of 55 Restaurants in Tybee Island
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Jacksonville
“Over 2 hr wait, for uncooked food”
Reviewed June 18, 2008

Went there for dinner on a sunday night, waited after being seated for 2 hours for the food. After the wait the food was not very warm and the order was wrong.

I would not reccomend this place!!!

Atlanta, GA
“thanks for your attitude”
Reviewed June 18, 2008

My girlfriends and I had spent the day at the beach and rolled into this restaurant to get some water and some much needed sustenance. Although it wasn't busy, we waited five minutes to be seated. After we were seated it took another ten minutes for someone to get our drink order. Needless to say, we had to wait for those, too. I ordered the mahi-mahi lunch salad for $12.99, one of the more expensive items on the menu. Our food took about thirty minutes (keep in mind, two of my girlfriends ordered chicken tenders and the other ordered a grilled chicken salad) and when it arrived it was cold! There were about four pieces of fish on my salad and barely any lettuce.

To add insult to injury, we had to repeatedly ask for more water and when it was time to pay, the waitress grabbed my cash out of my hand. I told her that we needed to split the check and her reply was, "I didn't know, I can't know unless you tell me" in the most snotty, rude way possible. It's your job to ask, lady.

I was incredibly disappointed not only in the service (by the way, don't use your cell phone inside the restaurant or you will get snapped at by the rule enforcer, and there are many "rules" here posted) but also in the food. Seriously, for a restaurant that claims to have survived for so long, you'd think they'd have it down better. I know that my review might sound harsh, but you also should know that while we were sitting there, another table asked repeated for more chips with their salsa, didn't get them, and then asked for the salsa to be taken off their check (since how could they eat it?) and the same waitress caused a fuss instead of just comping it for her mistake. Another table got up and left because their food took longer than ours! I wish I had listened to my friend when she said, "If she walks by our table one more time without getting our drink order we should leave" and then she walked by again and got the order of a table that came in after us!

A word to the staff: quit talking so much and do your job. Thanks!

Franklin, North Carolina
“good food, nice service”
Reviewed October 2, 2007

our first day at Tybee, we were tired and didn't want to figure out the island, so we walked over to MacElwee's. we weren't disappointed! ask your waiter what is good for dinner - I was recommended a swordfish special that did not disappoint. my husband had a steak and was raving about it. cold beer, friendly waiter, watching the waves from a corner booth - couldn't ask for more.

4 Thank mhyoung
atlanta
“Long wait, so-so food”
Reviewed June 18, 2007

I arrived at McElwee's with a party of 11 on A Thursday night at 9p.m.. We were told by the hostess that if we waited 10 minutes they would seat our entire group at the same table. Instead, we were made to wait 30 plus minutes and we were seated at two seperate tables. It was a chilly evening and they didn't even bother to allow us to wait inside despite the fact that we had young children with us. Our drink order was taken right away however our food order took another 30 minutes. The average price that you will see online of 7.50 is for children's meals. The cheapest adult meal is 9.95 for chicken fingers and fries. They charge an 18% gratuity fee on the bill for parties of 5 or more. Even though we had 2 seperate checks my brother and I were charged a combined 30.00 in gratuity. This is a horrible restaurant please take my advice and don't waste your time.

3 Thank sun32
Atlanta
“Do You Like Reb Lobster?”
Reviewed December 3, 2006

We waited a half hour to be served our beverages. After almost an hour, I asked what was causing the delay on our dinner and the staff acted surly and completely unapologetic. Finally the food arrived. Our table ordered a variety of dishes and I tried all of them. All tasted like previously frozen and/or amateurly prepared Red Losbter fair. Spare yourself and avoid this trap. Much better to be had nearby.

4 Thank cfd417