“Good, but overpriced” 3 of 5 bubbles

MacElwee's Seafood
Ranked #18 of 54 Restaurants in Tybee Island
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Good, but overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Went for lunch. Good beach atmosphere and very close to the less-crowded north beach area. Had fish tacos, which were decent, but the price was high for what you get.

Visited July 2013

“Very good food and excellent serviice - highly recommend this place.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our meal last evening. I had the crab and shrimp combo and she had the fried shrimp. The crab legs were the best I have ever had (being used to Red lobster or other places like it). The prices were what we anticipated. Service was very good as well.

Oslo, Norway
“Very nice seafood restaurant.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I was having dinner at this restaurant with my husband and 2 children at the same night as the man the owner had to call the cops on.
We tought the owner (Lynn) handled the situation very well. The man and is family was being very rude. His wife was shouting and screaming making a scen and disturbing everyone trying to have a nice meal. Before the owner called the police the man was becoming abusive and threatning, telling the staff to call the police if they wanted him to pay for the food (that they had all finished, leaving no leftovers on the plate).
Except for this man and his family we had a very nice experience at this restaurant. The food was very good. We had crabby dip for starters and the children had cheesesticks. I had the stuffed flounder and my husband had deviled crab for entree. The kids had fish fingers. We all enjoyed the food very much.

Reynolds, Georgia
“What is wrong with this place!!! Beverly H”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

I took my family here for what was to be a wonderful seafood dinner. The place is small and cramped; foretunately we did not have to wait on the deck in the rain like others did and there were only four tables of customers. The food was terrible and over priced - could have gotten better at Captain D's. I wasn't looking for a bar to eat at but this may have been the place for that if you were. I had my two young grandsons with me and none of us drink , but were seated at the table at the end of the bar; when I asked if we could be seatged somewhere else Lynn (the manager or bar tender) told us there weren't any avaiable when ther were only four tables with customers and maybe four more tables waiting in the rain. The only good thing about our trip there was that they gave very good directions to the hotel where we had reservations. I will not recommend this place to anyone !!!!!!

4 Thank Beverly H
Agnes Z, Owner at MacElwee's Seafood, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Unfortunately the restaurant is a bit smaller than others on Tybee and during our peak dinner hours when the restauarant is full we are a bit crowded. A bad accident ocurred in the restaurant once where a child suffered third degree burns when a server walked through the crowded restaurant and a customer knocked over the tray of hot drinks and soup and it went all over the child. I will not take the chance of that happening again. We have a deck around the front of the building and I ask all customers to wait in porch until they are seated. If it rains they are asked to write their name and phone number down and wait either on the porch next door (which is covered) or in their car and I will call when table is ready. I ask everyone in a polite manner and the reason is explained and written on a sign for all to read. If this is not acceptable I encourage the customer to eat elsewhere and try us again another nite- THE CHOICE IS THEIRS!! I do not force anyone to wait in the rain or eat in the restaurant. There are several other businesses on this island that have a lot more room than I do and the wait is usually a little longer. On this particular night I was holding a few tables waiting on one table to leave so that I could accomodate a party of 16 waiting on the porch next door. I sat the paerty of four at the only table I could immediately when it was cleaned and asked the customer if this was acceptable or would they like to wait on another but the other tables were for the party that had been waiting 30 minutes already and these folks had just arrived. The woman and her group could have left- I would imagine that they had already been somewhere else and told their wait was longer. And my bar is located in the middle of the room- something I cannot change because of the design of the restaurant which is an old house but we only have 4 bar stools and do not allow rowdiness- we are a family run business and respect the rights of all customers that respect our requests so that we may maintain a safe, enjoyable enviroment.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
“Call the cops!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

A truly awful dining experience. Over-priced, average food (at best) and a manager (Lynn?) that really does not need to be in the hospitality business. The quality of the food was so poor that I threatened not to pay for our uneaten meals. An unrelenting Lynn decided she then needed to waste taxpayer's money and call out 2 cruisers to handle the situation. So, there I was with my wife and 2 young sons having to talk with local law enforcement because I was unhappy that I was having to pay too much for bad food. The police seemed a little embarrassed by the situation also. Plenty of good, reasonably priced food on Tybee. Avoid this place.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Andy W
Agnes Z, Manager at MacElwee's Seafood, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
As owner of the restaurant I find it disturbing that some customers want to get "something for nothing" quite often while vacationing on Tybee. When I dine out if a menu item is not appealing or is something I did not like I simply do not return. This gentleman was told me point blank too call the police- he was not paying for his meal after I offered to replace the meal with another and offered another side dish. He never said we will pay for our two kids meals, our beers and appetizers- just that he was not paying and to call the cops. So i did as he suggested because I am not in the business to give food away. My plate portions are based on the cost of all ingredients put in the recipes and I buy quality fresh seafood as much as possible- some folks have never eaten anything but frozen fish sticks and think that is waht fresh seafood should taste like. At one point the wife of this customer started shouting that she would make a scen if I didn't let them leave which she did and so I let the officers handle the situation. Bottom line I do not treat customers any differtly than they treat my staff or myself and now you know the rest of the story.