“Very nice seafood restaurant.”
Review of MacElwee's Seafood

MacElwee's Seafood
Ranked #21 of 57 Restaurants in Tybee Island
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I was having dinner at this restaurant with my husband and 2 children at the same night as the man the owner had to call the cops on.
We tought the owner (Lynn) handled the situation very well. The man and is family was being very rude. His wife was shouting and screaming making a scen and disturbing everyone trying to have a nice meal. Before the owner called the police the man was becoming abusive and threatning, telling the staff to call the police if they wanted him to pay for the food (that they had all finished, leaving no leftovers on the plate).
Except for this man and his family we had a very nice experience at this restaurant. The food was very good. We had crabby dip for starters and the children had cheesesticks. I had the stuffed flounder and my husband had deviled crab for entree. The kids had fish fingers. We all enjoyed the food very much.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I took my family here for what was to be a wonderful seafood dinner. The place is small and cramped; foretunately we did not have to wait on the deck in the rain like others did and there were only four tables of customers. The food was terrible and over priced - could have gotten better at Captain D's. I wasn't looking for a bar to eat at but this may have been the place for that if you were. I had my two young grandsons with me and none of us drink , but were seated at the table at the end of the bar; when I asked if we could be seatged somewhere else Lynn (the manager or bar tender) told us there weren't any avaiable when ther were only four tables with customers and maybe four more tables waiting in the rain. The only good thing about our trip there was that they gave very good directions to the hotel where we had reservations. I will not recommend this place to anyone !!!!!!

4  Thank Beverly H
Agnes Z, Owner at MacElwee's Seafood, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Unfortunately the restaurant is a bit smaller than others on Tybee and during our peak dinner hours when the restauarant is full we are a bit crowded. A bad accident ocurred in the restaurant once where a child suffered third degree burns when a server walked through the crowded restaurant and a customer knocked over the tray of hot drinks and soup and it went all over the child. I will not take the chance of that happening again. We have a deck around the front of the building and I ask all customers to wait in porch until they are seated. If it rains they are asked to write their name and phone number down and wait either on the porch next door (which is covered) or in their car and I will call when table is ready. I ask everyone in a polite manner and the reason is explained and written on a sign for all to read. If this is not acceptable I encourage the customer to eat elsewhere and try us again another nite- THE CHOICE IS THEIRS!! I do not force anyone to wait in the rain or eat in the restaurant. There are several other businesses on this island that have a lot more room than I do and the wait is usually a little longer. On this particular night I was holding a few tables waiting on one table to leave so that I could accomodate a party of 16 waiting on the porch next door. I sat the paerty of four at the only table I could immediately when it was cleaned and asked the customer if this was acceptable or would they like to wait on another but the other tables were for the party that had been waiting 30 minutes already and these folks had just arrived. The woman and her group could have left- I would imagine that they had already been somewhere else and told their wait was longer. And my bar is located in the middle of the room- something I cannot change because of the design of the restaurant which is an old house but we only have 4 bar stools and do not allow rowdiness- we are a family run business and respect the rights of all customers that respect our requests so that we may maintain a safe, enjoyable enviroment.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

A truly awful dining experience. Over-priced, average food (at best) and a manager (Lynn?) that really does not need to be in the hospitality business. The quality of the food was so poor that I threatened not to pay for our uneaten meals. An unrelenting Lynn decided she then needed to waste taxpayer's money and call out 2 cruisers to handle the situation. So, there I was with my wife and 2 young sons having to talk with local law enforcement because I was unhappy that I was having to pay too much for bad food. The police seemed a little embarrassed by the situation also. Plenty of good, reasonably priced food on Tybee. Avoid this place.

4  Thank Andy W
Agnes Z, Manager at MacElwee's Seafood, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

As owner of the restaurant I find it disturbing that some customers want to get "something for nothing" quite often while vacationing on Tybee. When I dine out if a menu item is not appealing or is something I did not like I simply do not return. This gentleman was told me point blank too call the police- he was not paying for his meal after I offered to replace the meal with another and offered another side dish. He never said we will pay for our two kids meals, our beers and appetizers- just that he was not paying and to call the cops. So i did as he suggested because I am not in the business to give food away. My plate portions are based on the cost of all ingredients put in the recipes and I buy quality fresh seafood as much as possible- some folks have never eaten anything but frozen fish sticks and think that is waht fresh seafood should taste like. At one point the wife of this customer started shouting that she would make a scen if I didn't let them leave which she did and so I let the officers handle the situation. Bottom line I do not treat customers any differtly than they treat my staff or myself and now you know the rest of the story.

Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Very disappointing meal. We had to first wait outside in the rain because they won't let you in to wait, even though the restaurant was half full. The server was great but the portion size was very small for the price. I had the mixed steamed seafood plate which was over done and doused in a HEAVY sprinkling of Old Bay that I had to wipe off with several napkins to get to the seafood. My oysters were steamed so much they had shriveled and rubberized and one of them came in a rock the size of a small soccer ball that was covered in seaweed and barnacles that had to be chiseled out with a hammer and knife! My husbands fish was edible but a very small portion for the price. The server was great but overall a disappointing meal.

2  Thank Joanne F
Reviewed July 7, 2013

You sign your party in on a waitlist sitting on the porch then wait for a staff member to come check the list&take you in when seating is available.I ordered the snow crab platter-i asked to substitiute the corn for a baked potato but was told they were too busy for substitutions,which wasn't a big deal but just seemed like an excuse since we had several empty tables around us during our entire meal.We had a coupon for a free appetizer-which we knew would be limited but our waitress told us that it would probably only cover cheesesticks,potato skins or something like that..which we were fine with.She came back&said we could only use it on buffalo shrimp or buffalo oysters.I don't eat hot stuff so it was useless to me.When we got our food the crab legs were edible but overcooked.The slaw,hushpuppies&baked potato were all good but as we were eating two of the staff members got into some kind of dispute.It was entertaining but our waitress was one of them-not sure what happened but our waitress left.We had a different waitress for the remainder of our meal.Overall,the food wasn't horrible but we spent about $90 for 3people &regretted that this was the place we spent that much $$.The more i think about this experience the more i regret it.We loved our condo&plan to stay in this area again but MacElwee's will not even be considered next time.

2  Thank AY34885