“Stay in Savannah instead”
Review of Sandcastle Inn

Sandcastle Inn
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Tybee Island
San Diego CA
“Stay in Savannah instead”
Reviewed May 28, 2007

On a recent cross country road trip I wound up at the Sandcastle Inn- paid $280.24 for 2 nites in a place that had not been updated since 1967. First nite, Friday, was $109 + tax and Saturday $139. Not worth $49 but it was available as I drove in late afternoon Friday.
The room was advertised with microwave and fridge. The fridge was not turned on and when I inquired in the office I was told there was a reset button on the back of it and I should try that. Could not find the reset button and when I also asked to have someone come and fix the clock which was blinking 02:00 the desk person replied that she was the only one there and did I want a wake up call which she would be happy to provide. Fortunately I had a small travel alarm with me.
Eventually the desk person told me to try the reset button on the plug for the fridge- about 6 things were plugged in to the same plug. That did turn the fridge on but it never got any where near cold. The desk person stated she would have the clock and fridge fixed the following day. Never happened.
I also had asked the cleaning people on my way out Saturday AM to please bring more pillows as there were only 2 very flat pillows on the bed. Of course this also never happened. The desk person when I returned stated that the cleaning people who appeared to be from India did not speak any English and again as it was after 3 she was unable to accomodate my pillow request nor fix the clock or fridge.
Reception on the TV was terrible and the channels limited. The carpet I was afraid to walk on with bare feet. It was threadbare and heavily stained. The vanity area like I said- maybe 1967 era.
I never tried the microwave so do not know if that worked.
The other people staying there seemed to be as "Skoorb" stated- bottom feeders- young, rowdies. I sleep like a rock no matter what but was awakened during the nite by some sounds from outside.
The following AM I scouted some more local hotel/motels- all similarly overpriced and no better. There was 1 nice seeming place down near the end of Rt 80- but the room prices were astronomical.
The next day I headed into Savannah and enjoyed that immensely- wish I had stayed there instead...
The good things about the place were location- just 1/2 a block off the beach. The beach looked good but I didn't get to enjoy it much. It was not crowded at all- maybe too early in the season. The desk person did recommend a couple restaurants and she was right on there. Right across the street was a fish place and next to the 7/11 also across the street was a real good steak place. I wish I could remember the names! But if you go there there is no no missing these places.
She also recommended a breakfast place which I did go to but felt insulted by the attitude of the place- which frankly was the attitude of most of the town there. The menu stated the place was not Burger King and you were not getting it your way but the way they wanted to give it to you. And a replacement of the grits for homefries was $1.00 extra I believe. Nothing but a "Yankee tax" in my opinion.
I live at the beach in San Diego and this place was the worst of the beach and none of the best. There did not appear to be any free parking at all anywhere and everything seemed to be aimed at controlling the young rowdies- very negative signs in all the store windows- no quarters, no this no that. I could not wait to get away.
Although I might at some point return to Savannah I will avoid Tbee for sure.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything Else
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank yogamamma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Alabama
Reviewed March 20, 2007

Here's what we got for appx $700.00 for 4 nights:

A small room with 1980's decor, a small refrigerator, hair dryer, small coffee machine. The tissues were cheap and hard. Soap and shampoo were provided but the shampoo came in -- and I kid you not -- one-quarter ounce packets (two). Conditioner was not provided. Do not expect room service or a concierge.

The carpet was dirty, especially in the corners and edges. There were LIVE bugs in the room - a spider in a web by the door and cochroaches -- one which we killed. The toilet, sink, and tub seemed clean. However, there was a hole in the shower curtain, a hole in the cover of the light above the sink, and a hole in the ceiling outside our door.

I called the office for a wakeup call but no one answered. If you want to plug in a cell-phone charger, curling iron, etc you better bring your own extension cord and outlets because we had to unplug something (light, refrigerator, etc) in order to use it.

The housekeeper did make up the beds, but the beds did NOT have fitted sheets (just another flat sheet) which kept coming off and exposing the mattress. The housekeeper did NOT clean out the coffee machine the entire time we were there, so I had to clean it out myself. I think the carpet was vacuumed, but not well as the dirt was still in the corners and edges of the room.

We didn't take advantage of the doughnuts the office supposedly offers for breakfast. Probably for the better.

Our toilet didn't work everytime. We complained about that, but it didn't seem to do any good.

There is no view from the Inn at all.

Definitely not worth what I paid. The Island is lovely and the Inn is in a good location - but it needs to be plowed down and rebuit to industry standards.

This is the WORST Inn/hotel/ in which I have EVER stayed. Up until this week, the worst was a Holiday Inn in Orlando, but at least it was CHEAP and I only lost about $300.00

DO NOT EVER stay at this INN. Stay ANYWHERE but HERE!

• Liked — Tybee Island
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Bama_A_gogo

Travelers are raving about these Tybee Island hotels

Smyrna, GA
Reviewed September 18, 2006

September 15, 2006

To Whom It May Concern:

July 4, 2006 was supposed to be a fun, relaxing, great holiday. However, it was the exact opposite of fun.

My friends and I had this trip to Tybee Island, GA planned for months. We reserved a hotel, The Sandcastle Inn, online and gave the deposit that was required for the room to be reserved through [--], and even received confirmation.

We were so excited. Our good friend from Washington, DC was flying into Savannah and we were really excited about going to the beach to celebrate our country, great friends and good times. Unfortunately, this all changed due to the lack of customer service with the Sandcastle Inn in Tybee.

In route to the Island my friend called the hotel to confirm the reservations when the representative at the desk proceeded to tell us that our reservations had been canceled because our credit card was declined. She had charged my friends credit card for the entire week; said that the card was declined and that she left a message on the number given. Obviously, we were shocked. We immediately checked voicemail and there was no message. OUTRAGED, we called the hotel back and not only would the manager not really give us a completely legit answer, other than they charged the credit card for the trip, but the owner of the establishment was there and refused to speak with us.

Our trip was ruined because of GREEDY hotel owners. We also called [--] and after discussing this issue with several customer service reps. they told us that this was not proper procedure for a hotel to charge the credit card for the entire trip and that at least hotels.com should have been notified. [--] was great and researched for hours to find us another hotel but there was nothing on the island until after the fireworks show, which was the night of July 3 rd. We eventually drove out away from the beach which was the whole purpose of the trip and spent a couple of nights. The kicker to the whole ordeal was that my friend said that in fact she had the money in her account. The amount that was supposedly charged to her account and that was declined. So, The Sandcastle Inn completely lied to us because they probably gave our room to someone else, who probably paid a higher price for the room.

Overall, that may have been a good thing because after we returned from the trip we researched and found out that many people had similar experiences with this hotel and ridiculous customer service.

So, if you are ever traveling to Tybee Island, GA, DO NOT stay at The Sandcastle Inn. They could care less about their customers.

[-] Patrons

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — The lack of customer service and loyalty
  • Tips/Secrets — Use Trip Advisor and guranteed customer service
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank lulu1717
NC
Reviewed September 8, 2006

We checked in to the Sandcastle Inn on Tuesday night. We stayed in room 104. We went to bed and started itching and switched to the other bed and the same thing happened. We checked the mattress and box springs and they were dirty and covered only by a thin mattress pad with no cover. We called the front dest and switched to room 108. The beds were better but something brown like fungus was growing in the sink. We stayed the night but did not shower and had bottled water to brush out teeth. We were lucky we only paid 60$ This Inn was beyond bad and we checked into the Ocean Plaza Beach Resort with a beautiful room and Ocean view...We paid only $119. September 2006

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING
  • Tips/Secrets — GO TO THE OCEAN PLAZA HOTEL AT TYBEE ISLAND
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank sophia23
Reviewed July 16, 2006

My Husband and I stayed at this hotel to be close to the beach.(and close to the beach we were our bed had sand in it on arrival). We went to the front desk and recieved new sheets. So we get back to the room and use the restroom to find out the plumbing is a nighhtmare and didn't work properly. After we stayed that night because it was so late we ask could we cancel the rest of our reservation, and were told that we could not our card was already ran and waiting to be signed. We were furious and recommend that no one stay at this hotel. We might as well have brought and tent and stayed on the beach(we would have had the same amount of accomadations.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 9, 2006

We checked into the hotel with another couple. We were given a room and come to find out we were in a room that the air conditioner wasn't working properly, the frig didn't work, the plumbing was backed up in the sink and half the lights didn't have light bulbs. The hotel operators told us that this wasn't their problem and to hush. It made the trip Horrible!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 9, 2006

We paid for one room for 2 nights and checked in to the room finding the plumbing messed up, light bulbs not in lamps, fridge nor microwave would work, and hair in our beds. We had to change rooms becuse the toliet would not flush. Got to another room they gave us to find sand in our beds, the sink clogged, the light in the bathroom blown, and one pillow. The next day we went and complained to the front desk clerks and they told us to Shuu!
They did not want to hear it!! later own after we left we called back to speak with the owner/manger because it was privatly owned and come to find out it was him who told us to Shuuu! please tell me what happened to customer service!!!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Beach House, A Holiday Inn Resort
Hotel Tybee
Hotel Tybee
#2 of 8 in Tybee Island

Been to Sandcastle Inn? Share your experiences!